“Another nice stay!”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Charlotte
“Another nice stay!”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

A business trip brings us to Abingdon and lucky to have reservations at Hampton Inn. (They sell out quickly.) Even tho the hotel is older, they do things right and it's our favorite place to stay when hubby has to be in the area for business.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Darrell D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Abingdon, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Thank you so much for your comments about our hotel. We always enjoy having guests such as yourself stay with us. Hopefully you can return again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
London
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I came here for business for four days and found it to be clean and I had a reasonably good room. The wireless is fast and there is a small gym available for use. The breakfast is above average for this type of hotel. Staff are very nice. Town is a two minute drive away. I would come here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for choosing us for your hotel needs. Our staff will appreciate your comments. Please return when you are in our area again.
Virginia
Reviewed 7 June 2012

These days when I need to stop on the road, I tend to think of Hampton Inn's as being the "old reliable." It will be clean, the bed will be comfortable and I will have enough breakfast in the morning to keep me on the road.

This Hampton Inn hit all those points.

Reception was friendly and check in smooth. The room was clean and in good condition.

What may keep me away from this class of hotels in the future is those darn through the wall AC units. It was impossible to keep the room at a comfortable temperature and the window did not open to allow air in. The unit was also quite loud. I don't think there was anything wrong with it - I think this is just how they are.

Breakfast was acceptable. Several tables had been used earlier and had not been wiped down (sticky.) The scrambled egg offering looked overcooked and dry. I stuck to cereal and fruit. The fruit was fresh.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for staying with us. I appreciate your comments about our staff and the cleanliness of our hotel. The cleanliness of the hotel is a top priority here. Thanks again for choosing Hampton Inn.
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We recently spent the night here on our way home from a weekend motorcycle trip. The room was clean and comfortable and quiet. The amenities in the room include a flat screen TV, 'frig and microwave. There's a pool (which we didn't take advantage of, but many others were). Breakfast was of high quality, hot and plentiful. My only complaint is the lack of signage indicating the location of the hotel. It's located just off the interstate, however there are no street level signs indicating the location. After driving by the hotel, twice, (it's located off the main drag behind a dominoes and some other business) we finally looked up and noticed the sign which is at a height to be seen from the interstate, but not street level. Maybe if we'd been in a car it would have been easier to locate.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and for your kind comments. We appreciate having guests such as yourself. Sorry about the lack of signage, but Town ordinances dictate what we are permitted to install. I hope you can return to stay with us in the near future.
Sevierville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Both my husband and I live and work in a tourist town. I worked in the tourism industry for 9 years and my husband is in city government for over 34 years. We KNOW tourism and the value of hospitality employee impressions on our visitors. With this being said, we do NOT recommend this hotel.

We frequent Abingdon one or twice a year. Our first trip to Abingdon approximtely three years ago on Memorial weekend we stayed at this hotel and again this past Memorial weekend. The first time we stayed, the hotel front desk staff were unfriendly and seemingly disinterested. They gave the impression they were doing US a favor by being guests in their hotel. The cost for that stay was fairly reasonable, about $100 with tax and our room was on the first floor with a king bed. Their rooms are clean with decent amenities, i.e. flat screen television, small frig and microwave, clever bathroom vanity but not separate from the shower and toilet and very comfortable beds. It's not the rooms, it's the staff. This last stay the cost was almost $150 (with tax) for a room with 2 queen sized beds on the second floor wayyyy at the very back of the hotel making it a very far walk from the elevator. With that being said, it made it a lot harder to stomach the front desk negativity this hotel is now famous for with us. This time there was a crowd at the front desk and a very distraught mother with a slew of adorable kids with swimsuits and floaties on anxious to know why the pool was closed. I felt so bad for them!! The lady behind the desk kept telling them it was closed until tomorrow, etc. She took forever to straighten the issue out. She obviously was not well informed by management...couldn't find the key to the gate after finally finding out she could, in fact, open the pool. What a mess! Here we all are standing...waiting and waiting and waiting. Hilton owned hotels have not been a good experience for this family, but this was really the straw that broke the camel's back. It's Marriott's for us from here on out...just signed up for their frequent stay program. Oh, I forgot to mention that the breakfast was awful as usual, no surprise there. One positive breakfast experience...there was a really, kind and sweet little lady cleaning and waiting on customers. She was genuinely sweet and helpful.

Room Tip: Really, don't stay here if you don't have to.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank bwaldroup
Darrell D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Abingdon, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
I am very sorry you had a dissapointing experience at our hotel. Obviously from the other posted reviews your experience was an exception to what most guests experience. Our hotel pool always opens on Memorial Day weekend as it did again this year. Our hotel has only 68 rooms and three floors, with the distance from the elevator to the end of the hallway measuring only 135 feet. I am sorry the additional distance was an issue for you, but I can honestly say we have never had this particular complaint before. We pride ourself on exemplary service as evidenced by our hotel's first quarter 2012 earning of the Hampton Wall of Fame Award. This award is given to the Hampton Brand's hotels ranking in the top 15% of Guest Service Scores combined with Hilton's own Quality Assurance audits. Once again I apologize for what you perceived to be an unpleasant stay at our hotel.
Belmont, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I was on business and stayed at tis locatin again, desk staff great, love that they have an older gentleman to help with unloading, loading, even an umbrella offered due tosevere weather. The breakfast Hostess always keeps food, fresh and ready for guests be @ 6am or 10am....she is great!! Know when in the area, this is were I will stay. Close to interstate, food and shopping.

Room Tip: all rooms good, never an issue.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
I sincerely appreciate your comments. Lee is a real people person and loves taking care of guests. In fact he won the "Spirit of Hampton" award a few months back for his excellent guest service. This award goes to less than 1% of Hampton employees world wide.

Thanks again for being our guest and we look forward to having you stay with us again.
Keswick, Virginia
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I stayed at the Hampton Inn, Abingdon four years ago and thought it was a good experience. I was wrong. My wife, mother-in-law and I stayed there on Sunday night and found that we had a great experience. We made our reservations on the road as we headed north from Chatanooga. We were warmly greeted when we arrived and both of our rooms were clean and well-kept. We received great suggestions on where we could eat on a Sunday night in Abingdon when many restaurants were closed and thanked the desk clerk for his excellent dining suggestion upon our return from an enjoyable meal. Breakfast the next day wowed my wife and mother-in-law who could not believe the quantity and quality of food laid out for guests. All of this made for a very good experience for us until greatness struck. My wife realized upon our return home that she had left one set of clothes in the closet in our room. She called down and was told, "Yes, we have your clothes and we will send them up to you." Two days later UPS delivered them to our door step. Now that is the kind of service that qualifies this hotel for a five-star rating of excellence in my judgment!

Room Tip: We stayed on the side towards I-81 (where I has stayed previously) and could hardly hear any highway...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Darrell D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Abingdon, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Thank you so much for your kind comments. I am exceptionally proud of our staff and we love having guests such as you!! We all hope you can come back and stay with us again soon. Thanks again for choosing our hotel!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
The Martha Washington Inn and Spa
Comfort Inn
#6 of 10 in Abingdon
Hilton Garden Inn Bristol
Fairfield Inn & Suites Bristol

Been to Hampton Inn Abingdon? Share your experiences!