“Great Retro Motel”
Review of Alpine Motel

Alpine Motel
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We've stayed here twice...bathroom, shower & countertops recently replaced with granite. Looks to have been recently painted. WiFi was excellent...beds comfortable , nice & quiet. For the price---$59 per night--- you can go out to breakfast & still save a few bucks off of what the chains with breakfast charge. We will definitely be back!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Mike C

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I was very happy with the general condition of the motel. For something in this price range it was a real bargain and I'd have no trouble recommending it. Maybe would go up a notch or two if not alone.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank SnowBird0211
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Our car broke down on Main Street in Abingdon but we managed to get it started again and quickly drove back to the Alpine Motel which we'd passed on the way into town. We love old, retro, family owned establishments and we felt fortunate we stumbled upon it so we didn't have to stay in a chain motel down the hill.

The owner was friendly and put us in 2 rooms at the far end of the motel. We were very pleased with our experience from the moment we checked in. We had no problems communicating with the proprietor like some reviewers did.

The rooms were huge, the bedding was very nice, beds comfortable and the bathrooms had been renovated to a very acceptable standard. True, there was no hair dryer or shampoo, but I always bring that myself, so it wasn't a problem at all.

I loved the old Alpine Motel sign above the motel.

The view from atop the hill was gorgeous and I was sorry we were there for such a short period of time. We will definitely go back to Abingdon to do some hiking, biking and checking out the local theatre.

I can't understand how some reviewers complain about the continental breakfast after paying $49-$59 per night for a great room! There's just no pleasing some people!

We loved the value for money we got at the Alpine and enjoyed the ambiance and welcoming attitude of the town of Abingdon. We'll be back!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank IdahoShelby
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Yes, the Alpine is "quaint, rustic" and under renovation......
However, it has a long way to go! Rooms are spacious in size, shower walls and counters have been replaced but everything else is in need of an update and a good cleaning.
Don't bother to ask for recommendations for restaurants, as English is not the first language of the proprietor.
Be sure to pack your shampoo...as there are no complementary toiletries!
Make sure you request a room with a view of the mountain not the highway.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beth J
Reviewed 8 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here pror to going on the Creeper Trail. It is as previous reviews have said. The room is large, qujiet and clean. This is a retro motel from the 60's that is disappearing. The only complaint I really have is the breakfast served is poor. They had a toaster and bread but nothing to put on the toast; no butter or jam. I thought the price was slightly high for what one got. If you want a retro style motel that is clean and comfortable then this it. Forget the breakfast though.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Edward65
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Booked the Super8 online, got there and the room was not big enough to turn around. Smelled musky and was not clean. Stopped by the alpine just to check it out . And loved it ,rooms are huge with a micro and fridge ,and the beds were actually comfortable .

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Connie705
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here for three days in late August and it's just a great little place. I had found it during an earlier business trip and brought my wife back to bike the Creeper Trail and go to the Barter. I travel a lot for business and often stay in the Three H's which are okay for the purpose, but lack any character like found at the Alpine. It's close to everything, but feels like you are staying out of town. Huge, clean rooms, great view and very quiet. And you can't beat the price compared to the charges down the hill at the hermetically sealed national chains. We will be returning in October for biking and fall colors. Bring a hair dryer if you need one as there isn't one in the room.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple