“A classic”
Review of Alpine Motel

Alpine Motel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Reviewed 24 June 2014

If you're looking for the old motor hotels of yore, this is one of the best. Clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable rate. Our room looked like it had been recently renovated.

The grounds are immaculate, offering beautiful pastoral views and the old sign, perched on a hilltop behind the hotel is a classic.

The only thing subpar was the continental breakfast, but the coffee was good and there are plenty of dining options nearby. Would stay here again and plan to next time I ride the Virginia Creeper Trail.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I only stayed here for a night with a party of 20 so we took up eleven rooms and they easily had room for us. The rooms had two beds and an ac unit which is very critical during the hot summer. The breakfast they offered included cereal and some pre-packaged pastries so not very nutritious but at least they provided something for in the morning. The location of the Alpine made it very accessible to get to the main drag of Abingdon without much hassle. If I had to stay here again I certainly would, but only if I knew I had a busy stay were I would not be in the Motel for very long. It's clean and offers all the necessities and that's good enough for a second visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 June 2014

STayed at the Alpine Motel last week on a trip through Virginia. Always wondered about it on my travels, drove through the lot a few times but never stayed there till now. checked online reviews and most were pretty favorable. I got there fairly late, after dark. It was well-lit, owners are renovating it room by room. Only has 20 rooms as far as I can tell. Owners live on-site. My room had a new bathroom that has to be in the past year. Spotless. I had two queen beds, the room is really huge. Had a small fridge and microwave. No closet, just metal shelves and hangers to hang clothes behind the front door (a little awkward but OK). Motel is far enough off I-81 that you don't hear the traffic noise, at least not in the room I was in. You can't really open any windows. The only complaint I had is one that is common throughout the South - the a/c gets that mildew humid smell. Even in the pricey hotels, it's hard to keep that smell out. It was not overpowering but still would have preferred to open a window and allow fresh air in as it was cool enough at night for that. Price was only $58 INCLUDING taxes for one person. A great deal, make sure you get one of the new rooms. I think the smoking rooms are the old ones and it should stay that way. Smoking in a new room would ruin it for everyone forever after. I will stay there again. No pool or fitness center. There is coffee in the lobby but thats it. Lots of restaurants nearby, some you could walk to. GREAT NEON~~ the Alpine sign along the road is great. The giant letters on the hill above the motel are lit up but in the summer time the trees obstruct the view. In the winter they are really visible from a distance.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated ones if you are not a smoker.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Susan N
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Spent a night here-small, older motel but renovations are in progress-the baths have been re-done w granite, new tubs, new floors, etc -the sink area is also re-done w granite and new sink and looks great-as they move to updating the rest of décor it will be very welcoming-well priced and well worth the sitting and facing the view and relaxing after a long trip

Room Tip: a room in the 'teen' numbers is suggested for better views
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MetaChicago_Illinois
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My 2 sons and I stayed for 4 nights to ride the Creeper trail and explore the local area. The room was huge and clean (and I am picky about cleanliness). It had a refrigerator and microwave, which was perfect for us to store drinks and heat up food. The owners and all the employees we came into contact with were wonderful! The free wifi worked fine for us as well.

For the price, the Alpine is awesome, especially if you have kids. We would not consider staying anywhere else in Abingdon. I did read the reviews before I stayed there, so I brought my own hair dryer and shampoo (I would have done that anyway.) I also travel with my own bedding and pillow, as well as towels, but what was there was perfectly adequate. The grounds are so pretty and the fireflies lit the trees like candles as we sat outside the room. The walls are thick and we never heard the neighbors (and the place was full). The air conditioning was ice cold and felt so good after a hot day on the trail. Honestly, for the price, how could one complain?

The only thing that surprised me was the size of the beds--they are double beds, not queen size. For larger folks, there may be some extra close snuggling on the small bed. Other than that, the place is exactly as the pictures show, and we were super happy with everything.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank tccampa
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The rooms were very spacious and the air conditioning was very cold. However, the AC was also loud and the pillows were stained. Not exactly comforting to sleep on something stained. Comfortable bed, would recommend it if you're looking for a spacious place. Free wifi was also a big plus

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 June 2014

As far as having the basic necessities, the Alpine Hotel is a decent place. It provides plenty of space in each room, a microwave, a mini fridge, a bathroom, and a TV. As far as the actual quality of the Alpine Motel, I wish that it had been much better. For example, when I laid down to rest at night, I found quite a few knats flying around in my room (And I know it wasn’t my smell, because I had just taken a shower). I found 3 finger sized burn holes in my sheets, and along with this the beds simply were not that comfortable. I wish the Alpine Motel would take the initiative in making sure that all of the items in each of their rooms are at the best quality that they can be, i.e. making sure that the bed sheets do not have burn holes in them.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends