“Nostalgic and very nice stay”
Review of Alpine Motel

Alpine Motel
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I tried the Alpine Motel based on Tripadvisor reviews. We are glad we did. We were traveling back from picking up a travel trailer and weren't sure where we would make it to stay the night. We made the reservation online and pulled in to the motel about 1 1/2 hours later. The property is very clean and beautiful. It appears to be a motel from the days of "road trips" when we were kids. The rooms are large, newly updated and clean. The bedding was comfortable and we both slept well. The people who own/work at the motel were extremely friendly and helpful. They helped us find a place to back our truck and travel trailer in and switched our room to be closer to the vehicle.

The air conditioners are in room, but we have a similar situation in our home so it wasn't a problem for us.

We enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay again should the opportunity arise.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank The_Moo_VA

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We chose this property based on reader reviews and weren't disappointed. While it is an older property it is very well maintained, clean, and has had what appear to be somewhat recent updates. The owner is very friendly and listened when we asked for a quiet room. We were placed at the far end of the unit away from most of any possible commotion. Beds were comfortable and the linens were all clean. The room had a small fridge and microwave as well as the obligatory coffee maker. We spoke with another couple who indicated that they stay at the motel every year while on vacation. I would stay here again and would recommend it to others. If there is a downside there is no breakfast available.

Room Tip: Bring a book top read on the provided sidewalk lawn chairs.
1  Thank ken s
Reviewed 2 July 2014

After reading previous reviews, some of which were very negative, my wife and I spent one night in the Alpine Motel. We arrived around 6PM on a Saturday and the desk clerk (owner?) had us settled in our room within 5 minutes.The room was surprisingly large. The bathroom had been recently remodeled. The room smelled a little damp, but clean. We found no evidence of uncleanliness anywhere. We turned on the AC to dry out the place while we went to dinner. Overall, this is a very good room for the value. Free internet too.
What could the manager improve? Fill up the side with the better view first and turn the AC on 30 min before arrival to cool down the room - especially when temperatures are in the 90s.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the mountains.
1  Thank 2005-travel-lover
Reviewed 28 June 2014

For those who enjoy total silence, this motel might not be for you because it is located right by a major road. The rooms were very spacious and they had strong natural lighting during the day that made the interiors very pleasant. Even though the décor of the rooms was not the best, the rooms were quite clean and well-kept. In the room where I was, there were not many power outlets and this was a source of some frustration for me. I would have preferred that they have a convenient place for breakfast, but overall the experience was rather good.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 June 2014

If you're looking for the old motor hotels of yore, this is one of the best. Clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable rate. Our room looked like it had been recently renovated.

The grounds are immaculate, offering beautiful pastoral views and the old sign, perched on a hilltop behind the hotel is a classic.

The only thing subpar was the continental breakfast, but the coffee was good and there are plenty of dining options nearby. Would stay here again and plan to next time I ride the Virginia Creeper Trail.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I only stayed here for a night with a party of 20 so we took up eleven rooms and they easily had room for us. The rooms had two beds and an ac unit which is very critical during the hot summer. The breakfast they offered included cereal and some pre-packaged pastries so not very nutritious but at least they provided something for in the morning. The location of the Alpine made it very accessible to get to the main drag of Abingdon without much hassle. If I had to stay here again I certainly would, but only if I knew I had a busy stay were I would not be in the Motel for very long. It's clean and offers all the necessities and that's good enough for a second visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 June 2014

STayed at the Alpine Motel last week on a trip through Virginia. Always wondered about it on my travels, drove through the lot a few times but never stayed there till now. checked online reviews and most were pretty favorable. I got there fairly late, after dark. It was well-lit, owners are renovating it room by room. Only has 20 rooms as far as I can tell. Owners live on-site. My room had a new bathroom that has to be in the past year. Spotless. I had two queen beds, the room is really huge. Had a small fridge and microwave. No closet, just metal shelves and hangers to hang clothes behind the front door (a little awkward but OK). Motel is far enough off I-81 that you don't hear the traffic noise, at least not in the room I was in. You can't really open any windows. The only complaint I had is one that is common throughout the South - the a/c gets that mildew humid smell. Even in the pricey hotels, it's hard to keep that smell out. It was not overpowering but still would have preferred to open a window and allow fresh air in as it was cool enough at night for that. Price was only $58 INCLUDING taxes for one person. A great deal, make sure you get one of the new rooms. I think the smoking rooms are the old ones and it should stay that way. Smoking in a new room would ruin it for everyone forever after. I will stay there again. No pool or fitness center. There is coffee in the lobby but thats it. Lots of restaurants nearby, some you could walk to. GREAT NEON~~ the Alpine sign along the road is great. The giant letters on the hill above the motel are lit up but in the summer time the trees obstruct the view. In the winter they are really visible from a distance.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated ones if you are not a smoker.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Susan N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Red Roof Inn Abingdon
#8 of 10 in Abingdon
Knights Inn Glade Spring
Knights Inn Glade Spring
#1 of 2 in Glade Spring

Been to Alpine Motel? Share your experiences!