“First time at a Bed & Breakfast”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Abingdon
River Garden Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 16 Abingdon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 December 2011

This was our very first time to stay at a Bed & Breakfast and it was wonderful.
The hostess was terrific. Breakfast was delicious with snacks sitting out each day.
We could never have been treated any nicer anywhere. Enjoyed listening to the water plus the quiet area.
She got us tickets to the Barter theatre. I was so thrilled!!!!!
It is an awesome place and so much privacy.
I strongly recommend!

Room Tip: Rooms were great we stayed upstairs because I don't do steps very well. Rooms downstairs look...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KernsBG

Reviewed 12 September 2011

My husband and I spent a wonderful weekend at the River Garden. We came together but for two different purposes - me to relax/do school plans and him to fish. Both of us got to fulfill our wishes. I spent two days sitting on the deck overlooking the River. The wireless internet worked wonderfully and I was able to make my plans and enjoy the view while my husband got to roam the Holston River catching trout. The location was perfect and the accomodations were plush. We found the food to be an added plus delicious, fresh gourmet breakfast with coffee ground right before being made. This is a fantastic location for a relaxing weekend retreat.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank freda1002
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We had a very nice one-night stay on our way to Asheville at this fine Bed and Breakfast. Due to its setting it is outside of town but not too far. We arrived late and tired, so the owner offered to order food in. Enjoying our dinner and wine,while sitting on the porch outside our room, was greatly appreciated. The following morning we were presented with blueberry pancakes, etc. Abingdon is a charming small town with interesting history and architecture.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Presto18
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We went to Abingdon to see a play and stayed at River Garden B and B. Our room as all rooms was on the river. The view was fabulous. The food was wonderful and different each day. There were cookies, cake every afternoon. Paula was a great hostess. The home was decorated beautifully. Better than the pictures. Needed better reading lights, so Paula brought us a new lamp.

5  Thank judyCS
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This was my first stay at a Bed & Breakfast, and I was a bit nervous about what to expect. I did not get there until late in the evening, but Paula welcomed me with open arms and treated me like a long lost friend. Later in my stay, one of the other guests, whom witnessed the “welcoming hug”, asked how we were related and was surprised to find out it was my first time there. I absolutely loved staying at the River Garden Bed & Breakfast. Paula & Scott were wonderful, even when they had to make some quick adjustments for an emergency trip out of town, Paula seen to her guest being well taken care of.
The rooms are lovely and well maintained...no one could ask for more. Each room has a full size bathroom with all the amenities. If the weather permits, you’ll feel impelled to leave the bedroom door leading to the deck open, so you can hear the Holston River trickling just outside. The deck off the rooms, as well as the deck off the Dining Room, the Cardio Room, music room, and the “Man Cave” were spectacular and came to life with country living. The Hummingbirds were hilarious to watch and listen to, on the morning we had breakfast outdoors.
The other guests who were staying during my visit had been there several times and were a delight to talk with, but ….don't feel like you have to spend all your time with the other guests. The Hine's family has made sure each guest has the opportunity to socialize only as much as they wish. There are cold drinks, coffee, tea and hot cocoa, as well as an ice maker, refrigerator, and a microwave in the hall that is convenient for everyone’s use.
One day it was just too hot to go sightseeing and Scott was kind enough to welcome a visit from my brother, sister-in-law and niece. We spent a couple of hours on the deck playing cards and then retired to the “man-cave” to watch a movie on the BIG SCREEN. It was nicer than going to the Cinema. The seats reclined, and there were no noisy kids around.
Breakfast…..What can I say?? If you don’t come for any other reason, come for Breakfast!!! Paula is one of the best cooks I have ever known. She is the only person I know who serves appetizers BEFORE breakfast. Fresh Fruit, muffins, Danishes, cakes, strudel, and I could go on, but you get the message! Then, out comes the wonderful Surprise Breakfast entree. I am sending her an email to get the recipes. There was nothing served that did not get an A+ in my book or stomach. Even the morning Scott served breakfast, since Paula had to be gone, was Scrumptious! Fresh Sliced Cantaloupe, maple sausage, a Raspberry Cream Cheese Breakfast casserole that was to die for. Scott tried to take credit, but we knew Paula had prepped him all the way through. Oh, and don’t let me forget the freshly ground coffee and fruit juice.
I could not imagine staying anywhere else when I come to Abingdon in the future, and I am sure there will be many trips. Thank you Paula and Scott for making me feel at home! You are the best!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank darem2
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We interrupted Paula's dinner with family nonetheless we were greeted warmly, and escorted to our spotless room. We had the "Angler Room" which had a comfortable king size bed, and opened onto the porch overlooking the river. (as do all three rooms). Enjoyed gouing into town for a nice dinner then returned to the porch and relaxed with wine. Breakfast the next morning was a broccoli quiche accompanied by bacon , which wasdelicious, along with great pastries. Good orange juice, and my wife reports that the coffee was first rate. Paula was a genuinely nice person to be around. Overall, an excellent stay. A pleasure...

Room Tip: Other two rooms have queen beds.
5  Thank mickywine
Reviewed 2 July 2011

I can't say enough good things about our stay at River Garden! We were in Abingdon to celebrate our anniversary, and were overwhelmed with the amazing setting, fabulous views, terrific food and the friendliness of the owners.

We pulled up to the River Garden and saw a regular-looking house. But we entered the B&B and were blown away by the beautiful up-to-date decorating (there is no china or antiques - it's modern beauty and casual elegance) and the simplicity of the deck, rustling trees and burbling Holston River.

Paula and Scott were conversational and incredibly accommodating - we felt like we'd known them for years and wanted to be friends forever. Paula's breakfast was to die for ... she REALLY knows how to make bacon :)

We only wish the inn hadn't been booked for the second night ... we transferred to another B&B, which was another excellent experience ... but we felt so at home at the River Garden, we are already planning our return visit.

My husband and I highly recommend this place. It was simply PERFECT.

4  Thank jamiehardhat