“Nice overnight stay but I came for the food!”

Victoria and Albert Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Abingdon
Victoria and Albert Inn
Ranked #13 of 16 Abingdon B&B and Inns
Gloucester, Virginia
“Nice overnight stay but I came for the food!”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This B&B was the most ornately furnished place I have ever stayed at. The owner's attention to detail in the beautiful antique furnishings in this 1890's home makes you feel like you have stepped into the past the minute you step thru the door. Loaded with porches to sit and have a drink before dinner or coffee in the morning. When you call for a reservation you can also reserve dinner. Three items on the menu the last being Philippine food which I fell in love with when I visited there. The chicken adobo, puncit, and lumpia were superb and worth any distance to get it. The owners are very friendly.

Room Tip: upstairs has a nice balcony more secluded tan the rest
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mack23003

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Versailles, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This stay was a real disappointment. I've stayed at dozens of B&Bs over the years, and the first few glitches I tried to excuse because the innkeepers had been at a funeral out of state until the day before, but by the end - there was no excuse. The Love House was once lovely, I'm sure, but has been sadly neglected. Richard apologized about the peeling paint on the outside, saying they hadn't gotten the grant they were hoping for to perform this work (!) The house seemed clean enough, but with a real musty smell - needs a dehumidifier. When we discovered we had no hot water while preparing to out to dinner and the theater, we were first told it takes a long time, then told sometimes this just happens and there was nothing they could do about it. They later called us back and offered to let us change rooms (in this case move a block to another house). In the meantime, we had used another bathroom in an unoccupied room on a different water heater - barely enough for 2 showers there. Gutters have not been cleaned in years, weeds a foot high growing out of them, and during the several torrential rains of the weekend, water poured in the back door. The "gourmet dinner" was so-so - heavy on the salt. The single ultra-crispy slice of turkey bacon on each plate at breakfast was laughable, and except for the omelette, everything appeared to have been made WAY in advance and reheated. The quiche was inedible. The temp in the dining room for our dinner was at least 80 degrees, and may I say that red wine served at that temperature is appalling?!? The last straw was when we were told we had to check out by 10:30 instead of the 11 am posted in the room, so our hosts could attend church. the price for what we received was highway robbery, with no discount offered for our inconvenience with the hot water. I'm sure this was once a great operation, judging from the awards hanging on the wall from 2003 and 2004, but this is obviously way to much for these folks, and they need to get out of the business and stop taking people's money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
12 Thank Mary M

Travellers are raving about these Abingdon hotels

Inman, South Carolina, USA
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Really a lovely property--comfortable rooms and a great breakfast! (Although need blow dryers in bathrooms). Convenient to good restaurants. Love staying in B&B's because we always meet great people. That said, what we missed at this B&B was an evening "happy" hour to meet people staying in house. Met everyone in passing next morning at breakfast and shared some quick stories and insights into area, but at this point, everyone is ready to get on road and Plans are made for the day. Many times at happy hour we have met people we end up going to dinner with and hear of some great places to visit the next day. We really missed that at this Inn.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leah B
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We paid $150 per night for the 3rd-floor room. The room itself was very pleasant and there was plenty of bedding to make yourself comfortable. They are pretty strict with the rules though (e.g. no food in the rooms, put pillows back in cupboard, etc.) and the bottled soaps provided were used and half-empty. The hostess (Hazel) was a nice, bubbly lady, and her breakfast cooking was incredible! A nice place to consider if you're going to be exploring the town and surrounding areas.

Room Tip: There's no elevator, so if you're going to the Gold Room (3rd floor), I hope you enjoy lifti...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jerry H
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 11 September 2011

My Sunday has just been ruined as well as my memories of my 16th wedding anniversary.

It has been one week since we stayed at the inn and we just received a phone call from the owner, Hazel, accusing us of stealing pillows from two of the rooms!

My wife answered the phone and became so quickly flustered that she had to pass the phone to me. Hazel refused to discuss any details but instead lectured me on how stealing was a sin and then hung up on me. I tried 4 times to call her back to try to clear up the matter and each time she hung up on me after a similar lecture. I am an EAGLE SCOUT and I would do nothing to tarnish the image of the Boy Scouts. I am taking her accusations personally, and her unwillingness to even discuss the matter makes me extremely upset! We had many disappointing aspects to our 2-day visit, but I would have never even written a review figuring that maybe Hazel had a bad weekend. After all, it was her 75th birthday. But her actions show me that she is not a good host and she may have more serious issues which are demonstrated by her actions today in accusing us of stealing pillows FROM TWO ROOMS! (Important note: another couple stayed in one of the rooms supposedly missing pillows after us. How come Hazel didn't have the pillows missing then, and ask us about them while we were STILL STAYING AT HER INN! She was cleaning the room herself on Sunday when I asked for ice.)

Thus I will now tell my full experience of the weekend to inform and warn others.

We were supposed to stay at the "Love House" a second property owned by Hazel and Richard. Upon arrival my wife was met by Hazel in the parking lot and told with no introductions that "You are not staying here!" My wife finally figured out that she was telling us that she had moved us to the other house because Hazel was putting her entire family up in the Love house. We knew nothing of the change. But, since we were getting an upgrade (so we thought) we went with the flow. We were shown two rooms and given our choice (Blue or Burgundy) at the Victoria-Albert. The 3rd floor Burgundy was much too hot (2nd floor thermostat read 80 degrees) so we accepted the Blue. Nice room, a little warm but we were told that the ac would cool it off by evening. The room instructions said there was "turn down service" but it never happened (Maybe since we touched the pillows, that’s why we got accused of taking them!).

We were asked the next morning to change rooms because they had the blue room booked to another couple for our second night and Richard had not talked to Hazel about reservations. (A hassle) Now we had to stay on the 3rd floor in Burgundy. Again, we went with the flow as each room is neat in its own right. The inn is very conveniently close to the VA creeper bike trail. On our second day, Sunday, we returned from 20 miles of biking, I was very hot and I asked Hazel for ice for my warm soda. She was cleaning the Blue room from our stay and screamed through the house for Richard! When he did not answer, she said I would find cold water in the fridge and that I would have to wait for ice! Ice was never brought to the room and after15 minutes I went to look for the ice again in the community room. Hazel saw me enter the room and with a very rude voice, treated me with contempt by slamming the freezer door across in front of me to show me how the ice was placed in the fridge part (NOT THE FREEZER!). BTW the thermostat never dropped below 78 during the day on the second floor and it felt warmer on the 3rd floor. Thank goodness for all the rain to cool things off. We left for dinner and stayed out of the inn for the evening as it was clear that her birthday party was planned encompassing the entire 1st floor (decorations, balloons, etc) and we were not invited. We didn't desire to attend the party but that left no nice place if we wanted to sit someplace other than our room, to meet other guests or socialize.

I can say that she made a good omelet but we had eggs both mornings. We were not told the breakfast menu but we were told where to sit.

I've started to calm down now after an hour of typing. My anniversary weekend will be forever tainted by her phone call. Do your self a favor; don't risk a stay with Hazel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
17 Thank J O
Virginia
Reviewed 6 September 2011

This was our first time staying at a B&B so we weren't sure what to expect. We were met promptly an shown to our room which was beautifully decorated. Room was very clean and comfortable. We were given our barter tickets and were on our way. The next morning breakfast was great, very nice. Our hosts were very gracious and friendly and made us feel right at home. The walls are a bit thin and you can hear others walking and talking in the house, but it's a house so I suppose that's to be expected. Other than that, no complaints. Very much enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank vanomad
Texas
Reviewed 12 July 2011

The innkeepers were very accommodating in handling our several changes of plans, checking us in early, obtaining our theatre tickets and reservations for the bike ride, and serving an early breakfast. The room was beautiful and the bed comfortable, but warning: the AC doesn't reach the 3rd floor and it didn't cool off until midnight. Breakfast and dinner were excellent but the innkeepers admonish you if you don't eat something.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bookbaby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
The Martha Washington Inn and Spa
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Abingdon, VA
Millsap-Baker Estate
Millsap-Baker Estate
#4 of 5 in Damascus

Been to Victoria and Albert Inn? Share your experiences!