“A Top-Shelf Alternative to the More Expensive Martha Washington Inn”

Victoria and Albert Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Abingdon
Victoria and Albert Inn
Ranked #13 of 16 Abingdon B&B and Inns
Linden, VA
“A Top-Shelf Alternative to the More Expensive Martha Washington Inn”
Reviewed 2 April 2010

My sister and I spent a night at this Inn because we needed to be in the area and didn't want to pony up for a room at the Martha Washington (but neither are we Motel 6 kinda gals). This inn struck the right tone in the right price range. My sister arrived and checked in before me and she warned me that the inn was "very Victorian and flowery" -- which I found to be appropriate, given that it's called the "Victoria and Albert Inn." If you've always wanted to go inside one of those grand old homes that line Abingdon's historic district - here's your chance to be a guest! Three floors of Victoriana, rose chintz, and floral wallpaper. Relax and enjoy. The inn was clean, the linens were of good quality, the rooms were beautifully done according to theme, there were toiletries in the bathrooms, magazines by the reading chairs, and a nicely stocked library of videos and books. The bathrooms were large and luxurious, the breakfast was at a reasonable hour, beautifully presented, and of excellent flavor and quality. The innkeeper and his wife didn't hover or fawn (we never saw her), they were courteous and efficient and not at all intrusive. (The only thing that gave me pause were the lace curtains on our very tall bathroom window which faced the hospital parking deck.)

I must concur with other reviews that the associated Hardware Company Restaurant, while acceptable, is not the best (or nearest) dining available in Abingdon. But since this review is of the inn and not the restaurant, I give it five stars.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank LKHenderson

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 28 October 2009

We had a generally positive experience, with a few glitches. We stayed in the Gold Room on the third floor, which was nicely furnished and had a view of the garden. However, the TV didn't work and there was no way to get help at about six in the evening. The three-course breakfast the next morning was outstanding -- but the promised coffee for early risers never made an appearance. Finally, do not take the innkeeper's recommendation to have dinner at her restaurant (Withers Hardware); the free dessert for patrons of the inn did not make up for the mediocre food and slow service.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wanderlust777
Radford, VA
Reviewed 7 September 2009

This was our first stay at the Inn ;while we have been to Abingdon many times. Read some of the Trip Advisor reviews befor going on our trip. Some of the negative reviews made me wonder what I might be getting into. Now having spent the night there and totally enjoying the visit, I wonder from where the negatives come from. Our hosts, the room and breakfast were great. We will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 7 May 2009

I have never stayed in a B&B with a Trip Advisor rating lower than "very good" so I was reluctant to make reservations at the Victoria and Albert which was rated 11th out of 12 B&B's in Abingdon. However, because I wanted to stay within walking distance of the town and because I had a gift certificate which the Victoria and Albert accepts (not all B&B's do) I went ahead and booked the Gold Room for 3 nights.
Because it rained the entire time we were in Abingdon, we spent more time than I had anticipated in the B&B curled up with our books.
We found the house to be lovely, situated on a quiet street and yet close to the Barter Theatre where we attended a play, and several restaurants and antique stores.
Our room on the third floor was charming, well maintained and kept clean at all times. It had a good sized bathroom with a whirlpool, good lighting and came equipped with a makeup mirror and terry bathrobes.
The inn keepers, Richard and Hazel were cordial, friendly and hospitable. The breakfasts, consisting of 3 courses, were delicious. Richard did the serving and Hazel the cooking and once the breakfast was served Hazel made a point of coming out of the kitchen to chat with her guests.
I would definitely feel comfortable recommending the Victoria and Albert to friends and I hope it advances up and out of its 11th place ranking!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Asheville, NC
Reviewed 6 April 2009

We just returned from a most disappointing stay at this inn. We choose to stay at B&B's to support small business & because, generally, they provide a welcoming, homey atmosphere. Not the case here. We were met by Richard who showed us the basics of the inn. As it was a beautiful afternoon; we decided to enjoy the 2nd floor porch. The cushions had long since seen better days. Those that were not literally spilling there fillings, were filthy. We retreated to the front porch where the cushions had long since lost there "cush" and the glass table was dirty, but we could at least enjoy what was left of the afternoon in relative comfort. I understand that it is early April, but the owners were aware that they were having guests and the day was lovely. Five minutes & some Windex would have gone a long way.
We had evening plans to go to dinner, at their restaurant - & to the theater. When we returned we tried to watch the NCAA tournament on our TV. It was so small {about a 15" diameter} that we could get the game, but not the score, as there was not enough room on the screen. I should note here, that we had booked another room, but Richard informed us at check in that due to plumbing problems we had "upgraded" to another room, that retails at $160/night. They flyer in this room specified turn down service, it didn't happen. In the morning we discovered that that bathroom tub had drainage problems. There were 8 lights over the mirror, 6 were candle shaped & thick with dust, one "standard" bulb, burned out & one halogen bulb. Bathroom supplies were in a dust encrusted bowl; the waste basket was lined with a WalMart bag. I know this is incredibly picky, but at $160/night {which we did not pay, we paid $130} I expect more. In fact, I expect clean & dusted for a whole lot less!
Breakfast was three courses & good. Richard served - still hadn't seen Hazel. When we finished he informed us he would be waiting in living room when we were ready to settle the bill. Kind of "Don't let the door..." We met him & paid. Not once were we asked if everything was okay or, for that matter, any other nicety. Hazel never appeared at all & she was there, as she had made breakfast. We have never encountered such, cold, uncaring inn keepers.
I will note here, that my dinner at their restaurant was poor. When I informed the waiter that we were staying at the Inn , he said that the owner was at the restaurant & would talk with me. Hazel never appeared, the chef did & apologized for all the mistakes. I have to believe that Hazel & Richard were well aware of the dinner screw-ups. This may be why Hazel never chose to introduce herself, but Richard should have said something. He was aware that we were having dinner at their restaurant and asking about our meal would just be considered common courtesy Thus my title, the devil is in the details!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank luvtarheelstate

Travellers are raving about these Abingdon hotels

Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 16 November 2007

I stayed at the Victoria and Albert several years ago, and it really impressed me with its comfort and luxury. I had a room at the front with a huge comfy bed and a delightful blue and white color scheme. The jade-green bathroom was almost the size of the bedroom! It had an enormous whirlpool tub, lots of fluffy towels, etc. The breakfast was very good. The inn is located in a lovely old neighborhood, with Abingdon's main street within easy walking distance. It's the perfect place for honeymooners or any couple looking for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed April 2003, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
Midlothian, VA
Reviewed 29 August 2006

Don't get me wrong! This is a beautiful house with a wonderful breakfast. I don't want to get into specifics (for reasons of annonimity), but I unknowingly irritated Hazel upon my arrival. I am very easy to get along with and even after being yelled at, I was polite. Let's just say that her social skills at dealing with an issue are not what they should be when running a B&B! I would not even consider ever stepping foot in that place again!

• Liked — The Breakfast was outstanding!
  • Disliked — the camera that watches me in the hallway, the hostess
  • Tips/Secrets — be prepared to tiptoe, but the creeking floor will give you away
  • Stayed November 2005
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank note2jeff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
The Martha Washington Inn and Spa
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Abingdon, VA
Millsap-Baker Estate
Millsap-Baker Estate
#4 of 5 in Damascus

Been to Victoria and Albert Inn? Share your experiences!