“Bed great, tub drain lousy”

Super 8 Abingdon VA
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Clintwood
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I have never written a negative review for anywhere, but this is well deserved! I also know that this was a cheaper hotel, but I have stayed in many Super 8's and never had these problems.

Arrived to an indifferent staff member who wouldn't even acknowledge I was at the counter (2 ft away from him) until he was done typing whatever he was typing and then didn't even bother to look at me when he said, "help you?" He gave me my room key and told me how to get there, but didn't bother to give me any other information regarding breakfast times or anything else. I got to the room and was disappointed to find that it was in a state of bad disrepair. The carpet looked like it was the original and was flattened to the floor and badly faded and stained, with holes. The bedspread was also badly stained and there were cigarette burns on it. I removed that immediately. The refrigerator was so noisy, I unplugged it altogether. The room had a musty odor to it. There was a creepy centipede looking bug on the ceiling which I killed immediately, and I assumed would be the only one I saw, so I didn't freak out too much at that point. There was a light layer of dust on the old box television and cobwebs in the corners of the bathroom. However, the sheets and the bathroom appeared to be clean and I needed to get some sleep for an early conference the next day, so I stayed. I was lucky I woke up naturally, because the alarm clock failed to go off. THEN- I saw another one of those creepy crawly critters. This time, I took a picture. Then another one appeared. Then the forth one made an appearance. I was so creeped out!!! I got ready as fast as possible and got out of there! I had a bowl of cereal in the lobby before heading out (one of the few options, there were two types of cereal, apples, and gravy and biscuits. That was it.) I told the lady at the counter about the bugs when I checked out and she seemed somewhat amused at me. What a terrible experience!!!! I would never ever go back if someone paid me to!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Catherine E
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

we got there a 9 pm. sheri at desk was super friendly. little older in bathroom but was super clean. smelled good. brkfast was small but good good. staff excellent. highly reccomend if u are looking 4 a deal

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shawn M
Abingdon
Reviewed 3 April 2014

This was the cleanest and nicest room I have stayed in in years. The bed was the most comfortable. The breakfast was excellent. The desk clerks were warm and friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Westchester County, New York
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Just needed a place to stay, not hang out. It was clean and had everything we needed. Lots of pillow of varying softness, not sure is that is intentional. Beds were very comfortable memory foam or something like that. Coffee in lobby was good and always there. No problems with internet booking through price line.

It is right of the highway and somewhat noisy but with window closed, didn't bother us.

5 mins from historic Abingdon fur shipping and restaurants, and right next to supermarket, Kmart, gas, car wash and more fast food choices that anyone could need.

Great value and I will include this as a chain I would use again of course after reading these reviews carefully as I'm sure they vary be location. That is how I ended to here in the first place after all.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends