“GOOD VALUE”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Swindon, United Kingdom
“GOOD VALUE”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

One night stay only but very happy with quality and comfort, good stopover location, did the Virginia Creeper trail, recommended.
Breakfast was simple but good and coffee available all day, parking easy, comforatable room

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Billings, Montana
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Made our reservations in January for a long weekend as we were attending a drag race at Bristol Motor Speedway. Requested a recliner in our room for medical reasons. When we checked in, we were given the same room we had 2 years ago, which was fine, except no recliner. The desk clerk saw where it had been noted in the reservation and asked the maintenance man to move a recliner to the room. He was nasty when he said we could just move up from the first to the third floor because there were rooms there with recliners. There was no way we could take a room on the third floor since both my husband and I are having knee replacements in the late summer and this hotel has no elevators. The maintenance man looked right at me and suggested I find another hotel that would suit my needs, which of course would be impossible on a race weekend within 30-40 miles of the track. The desk clerk kept urging him to get a chair moved, and another customer checking in even offered to get the chair and move it if they would provide him access. The clerk summoned the employee to a back office, and a couple minutes later returned to the desk and told me a chair would be in my room within 5 minutes. It was, and had to be the worst chair at the hotel....broken on one side, reclined unevenly, did not stop and would send you right out the top if not propped against a wall. The rest of the staff (housekeeping and office) were incredible, as we remembered from our last visit. Unfortunately, this is probably our last time there. Refrigerator had no shelves on door, no temperature control knob, and froze all our contents. Rooms could use some updating. Only noticed new bedspreads since our last visit.

Room Tip: Request first floor....no elevators and no helpers
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Abingdon hotels

Abingdon
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We staid the first night and the tub drain would not work correctly! all that it needed was the plunger reconnected! I informed the front desk in the morning when I checked out! We came back after 4 days and ended up in the same room! The Drain still wasn't fixed! I explained to the front desk , it should have been fixed, and received excuses! I told them it's not good and not healthy to stand in water when you take a shower after being on the road for hours and have to play with a drain to open it because it keeps closing on it's own when you take a shower!!! They also need to get a non-allergenic Air freshener so the hallways and rooms smell decent.( I should not have to go next door to the store and by my own in order to stay and sleep in there rooms!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Newport
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I was glad they allowed dogs. The rooms were clean and fairly quiet. None of the ice makers worked and they ran out of ice behind the counter..not a good thing in the heat of day. The AC unit in our room, 115 need to either be cleaned or have the filter changed. I woke up with a stuffy head and very dry eyes. The desk clerks were nice but should know more about the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

California, Maryland
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I am not normally not a "Super 8" type of girl but my friend reserved this room for two nights so we had easy access to the VA Creeper Trail and so they had a place that would accept animals. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by its cleanliness. The bed was comfortable, the staff was very pleasant and very customer-service oriented as we witnessed two very upset customers whose reservations were not the fault of Super 8 but Super 8 personnel did everything they could to assist the customers in finding a room on Memorial Day weekend. Items for improvement are the staff getting familiar with the area so they could answers questions about the area, the breakfast selection and investing in a new ice machine. I have to say the coffee was AWESOME!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends