“Don't go on a week day!”
Review of Parks Mill Barbecue - CLOSED

Parks Mill Barbecue
Price range: US$1 - US$22
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Parks Mill cooks and serves wood smoked turkey, pork bbq, and baby back ribs with a variety of homemade sides like Cole slaw, bbq beans and potato salad. Also desserts like or made fresh each day banana pudding and brownies along with ice cream and milkshakes. Also have hamburgers, hotdogs, turkey legs and sell bbq by the pound and whole roast. Working water grist meal we grind our own grits and cornmeal that are for sale in the store. Peaceful place along Parks Creek away from town and the crowds. Outside seating available. Seconds away from South Holston Lake and Avens Boat Ramp.
Reviewed 21 June 2013

First of all Parks Mill BBQ is about 5 miles out of the way, not near anything in Abingdon and you will wonder if you are going the right way. However once you get there it is in a really pretty area. The grounds are very pretty, along a little creek or stream, and they have outside picnic tables along the stream and also on a covered porch and a couple inside tables.
We arrived there on a Thursday and the place appeared to be open, the doors were open and there was a man outside tending the plants and a lady passed us going out the door as we were going in the door but we were ignored by both of them. She put on a pair of gloves and started helping the guy. We were left alone to walk around for approx. 10 minutes in an empty store where it looked like they had at some time served BBQ but it wasn't going to happen today. Everything looked very disorganized and no one ever came to even see what we were doing in there. We walked back out to our car, noticing the "Today's Special" sign on the door which included BBQ Sandwich, chips and drink for about $5 or $6. As we walked to our car the lady looked at us and my husband asked her if they were open and she said exactly..."Nope, Fri, Sat, Sun." That was it. I'm not rating the food here, I'm rating the service, which was nonexistent. We went back into town and found Bone Fire Smokehouse. The food there and the ambience was great. Finally, some BBQ!

Reviewed 25 May 2013

I'm from NC so I take my BBQ serious and since moving to the Tri cities I've been consistently underwhelmed by the pork BBQ in the area.....until I found this place. The pulled pork here is the real deal and is not only by far the best in the area it's the best I've ever had at a restaurant.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

Had smoked Turkey sandwich was great. Never had turkey this moist. Problem is no ice cream or other items that were advertised and not very hospitable.

Reviewed 18 October 2012

But its not fair to keep something so good from nature lovers and BBQ foodies. It is about impossible to find Parks Mill if you don't know where it is or don't see the signs, but the location is the key to this place. It is literally in the middle of nowhere with nothing but farms and lake surrounding it. Parks Mill is an old grist mill converted into a barbeque joint and general store. The grist mill is also still functioning.

Nestled in the woods somewhere outside of Abingdon, Parks Mill can hang its hat on being a serene place to enjoy your afternoon. The store is small, with few seats inside, but the outside porch and surrounding areas are filled with picnic tables. You will enjoy the sounds of a rushing creek nearby and that crisp mountain air that brings so many people up here.

On to the food..The barbeque is a smoked pulled pork variety with minimal dry seasoning. The pork is juicy with a good smoky flavor. You have two choices of sauce...the house sweet, which is thicker and has more of a Texas feel to it, and the eastern NC style "zing" sauce that is mostly vinegar and pepper. Season to taste. The sides are good, especially the baked beans. The ribs are also very good. The meat falls off the bones and the ribs are generously covered in the sweet sauce.

Portion size is more than generous, I almost always have to take some home. The prices are on the upper end for a barbeque joint, but with the amount of food you get, it is a fair price.

The only slightly weak side is the service. This is an order and take place, no table service. The help ranges from good to disinterested and aloof. Not enough of a factor to take away from the overall experience.

I grew up on NC BBQ and I must say that there can be a big difference between eastern NC BBQ and SW Virginia/ East TN BBQ. This place comes about as close to NC BBQ as you will find in this area. It is easily my favorite barbeque in the Tri-Cities region.

Reviewed 20 September 2012

Beautiful spot with great food and very unique layout .Fun to roam around and look! Good place to visit for the entire family.