Rain Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #4 of 93 Restaurants in Abingdon
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Beautiful building with outdoor patio, very unique art/decor with a beautiful open bar and lounge area.
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Went in for early dinner and the Hostess was nice and allowed us to sit in the bar area. We had wonderful dinner. The Horseradish Mayo was very good.
Now for the differences, hours are few, opening around 5pm. A little overpriced for bar food. a party of 3, no alcohloic drinks, no appetizers bill was close to $60...

Reviewed 8 December 2013

My friend and I visited Abingdon, VA and ate at the highly recommended Rain Restaurant. We had heard wonderful things about the food and the chef, Ben Carroll, and we were not disappointed. Even though it was the very busy pre-theatre dinner time, special effort was made to fix my vegetarian friend a veggie pasta dish that she absolutely loved. My stuffed chicken breast was excellent and we were fixed a banana ice cream sundae for dessert that was to die for! Our complents to the very excellent chef and the charming Rain Restaurant. Well worth a special trip!

Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

After a long drive we were very much looking forward to our dinner at Rain. The signs were positive. The restaurant and bar were full and the (predominantly young) clientele were very much enjoying themselves The serving staff were also keen and helpful.

The menu was not particularly cheap and the choice was limited. The beer/wine list was particularly uninspiring. Are there really no local micro- breweries available to be listed?

Our salads, grated carrot and pre-pared lettuce, we're very average. They could have been so much better if they had been in decent size bowls with the salad dressing served in something other than plastic pot.

Unfortunately all three main courses were poor. They were bland and boring served in a way that suggested it was a new chef straight out of catering college.

This is a very pleasant restaurant with a key and element staff. However, if they want to have a real impact the food needs to improve.

1  Thank UKJohnN
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Our first trip to Abingdon, Va was just a stop on our vacation to wonderful Middleburg, Va.

We asked the local desk clerk at the Hampton Inn for a recommendation and Rain was at the top of her list as well as another local long time place that serves "tavern" food.

Researching the menu and reviews while still on the interstate we decided on the three year old Rain.

The restaurant decor is very modern and upscale and would fit in any large urban city. We visited on a quiet Wednesday night, but larger crowds would be very loud and energetic.

The menu is not extensive but well planned and executed. The owner/chef is very creative. . . my wife had the stuffed chicken dish, a savory grilled chicken dish with apples and small sweet figs that is served with broccolini and mashed potatoes and an apple cider au jus at table side. Perfect for fall again savory but not heavy like a lot of fall dishes.

I enjoyed the dish special which was a grilled fish from Hawaii over a risotto cake with grilled asparagus and balsamic reduction. It melted in our mouths!

Wine list is adequate and well rounded.

An excellent place that Virginia should be excited about.

We will stop every time we pass thru.

Well done Rain!!

1  Thank Chart30308
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Move over, Revolutionary War era Inn. Step aside, dining room at historic hotel. The time is long overdue to recognize a new #1 for Abingdon's theater crowd and everyone else. Rain has taken the two of us by storm. It is superb. We could not have had a better meal in New York or San Francisco. On a Friday night, before the first of the three Barter Theatre plays we saw this past weekend, my wife and I began with the butternut squash soup. We've never had better. But it was the fois gras among the specials which left me raving and drooling. It was delicate, it was delicious, it melted on the tongue, and it came with dabs of apricot sauce which elevated it to a dream state. My wife's entrée was the stuffed breast of chicken; inside, amid the fontina cheese, was a special surprise: sweet tidbits of figs. Heavenly. I had the pumpkin cheese cake for dessert. Yes, first rate, but my wife had the winner: apple pie, but with a maple crust and warm soft pieces of apple and accompanying vanilla bean ice cream teased with caramel. Wonderful. Our server, Alison, was conscientious, knowledgeable, alert and sincerely interested in our having a good experience. The woman at the next table that first night also had the breast of chicken entrée and told my wife she, too, found it unique and sensational. This was our first visit to Rain. On the second night, we dined at the long-recognized establishment which is generally considered the best in Abingdon. We've been there before. It is decent but predictable. Our server seemed inexperienced. My wife's entrée was not cooked as promised, and when, after considerable delay, a replacement finally arrived, neither was it. On the other hand, Rain's chef, who I think may also be the owner, is original, innovative, inventive and will surprise you--and isn't that one of the secrets of a great dining experience? The second night at the theatre, I sat next to a couple from the same general area who are long-time season ticket holders at the Barter. They had dined at Rain for the first time that night. The wife had reached the same conclusion as I. Rain is now #1 in Abingdon. Long may the reign of Rain last.
SPECIAL TIP: If and when you visit Rain, ask what the building was before it became a restaurant. You will be astonished. A hint: the answer could account for the restaurant's unusual name.