“Nice Place to Visit; Average Wine”

Abingdon Vineyard & Winery
Ranked #3 of 24 things to do in Abingdon
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a small Virginia Farm Winery located in Abingdon on the far southwest side of Virginia near the Tri-Cities of Bristol, Johnson City and Kingsport, TN. We acquired 53 acres of land in this beautiful area and thought we would do something to keep us healthy, active and creating something.We began planning our 10 acre vineyard in 1997; planted our first 500 plants in 1998 and completed our 6000 plants by 2001. Our main grape varieties are: Cabernet Franc, Riesling, Chardonel, Traminette, Pinot Noir, Norton, Chambourcin, Viognier. Our first fermentation began with our year 2000 harvest. We have a pleasant, rustic atmosphere. We opened our tasting room June 1, 2001, and are now open from March 15 to December 15, Tues-Sat,10am-6pm AND Sundays 12-6pm. We are closed every Monday and Thanksgiving during that time span. Come try our wines and enjoy the quiet serenity of the area and friendly, comfortable hospitality.
Hixson, Tennessee
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Nice Place to Visit; Average Wine”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The Abindgon Vineyard and Winery is out in the sticks. I mean it's out there. It took awhile to get to, but it was worth it. It was a lovely drive with some nice scenery and the grounds of the facility are pretty. When you go into the main building, you're met with a lot of knick knacks for sale, but we went for the wine tasting, so we bellied up to the bar. For $5, you could taste six wines. I chose mostly whites and blushes because reds give me headaches, but the people I was with had some of everything. I've got to say, I thought most of the wine was mediocre to average. I was seriously unimpressed with their riesling, which is my favorite type of wine. I did like two of them, and my wife, one of them, so we bought three bottles for $39, which seemed very reasonable. You can take a tour, but we didn't have time. Would love to return for the tour sometime. All in all, probably worth the visit, but you probably won't be bowled over by the quality of the wine.

Visited August 2014

Raleigh
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Sip a bit of Serenity”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We were on vacation and ordered the last bottle of Bare Chardonnay from a Damascus restaurant. It was a pleasant break from the oaked Chardonnays we've had before and so we decided to swing by the winery to get more. What a treat! The grounds are lovely with lots of green grass and shady spots hosting a few picnic tables. There is also a patio with a couple more picnic tables. Bring your crackers and cheese, get some wine, and you'll have a wonderful afternoon winding down from whatever stresses you need to leave behind. Inside is a tasting area with a very helpful sommelier. There are many gift items across a wide price range if you're thinking about wine lovers that unfortunately are toiling away in reality. We enjoyed the Bare Chardonnay and the white Pinot Noir. Yummy stuff.

Visited July 2014
Richmond, Virginia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“beautiful & the wines are good”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The setting is beautiful. I had not been there for a few years & it is an impressive tasting room. Nice facility for group events as they have a separate dining area. I didn't taste all of the wines, but the ones I tasted were good. Some were better than others, but everyone's tastes in wines differ

georgia
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Beautiful location and tasty wine”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

First stop on my winery tour of southwestern Virginia. Located down a back country road, a few miles off I-81. The setting is absolutely beautiful sitting on a small hill with the vineyard behind it. The property is very shady with old buildings , a small creek running in front of the winery into the river which runs beside the winery. They have a patio off the tasting room with picnic tables and benches set around the property overlooking the creek and river. This is a small family run business with the brother in law of the owners as your tasting director. The wines are tasty with a wide variety of whites and reds with a few blushes. They offer tastings and then will sell you a glass or bottle to enjoy on the property or a number of bottles to take home. Highly recommend a quick trip off the interstate to stretch your legs, enjoy some good wine and beautiful scenery.

Tricitiestn
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Super quick stop off interstate!”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Great tasting (Free on weekdays!). After the tasting, we picked our favorite to sip over a picnic lunch. The view from the outdoor "patio" is really lovely. We were so relaxed. I'd recommend this venue for a bridal shower, lunch, or picnic. The wine is really an added bonus, with many different varieties. Beautiful spot right outside of Abingdon!