“Clean, quiet, convenient when traveling on 81”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Reviewed 4 June 2012 via mobile

Stayed on Sunday night enroute from NJ to Smoky Mts. Low occupancy.Very quiet even in ground floor room. Large room; comfortable king bed. Shower head too low; no exhaust in bathroom. Nice common area in lobby, OK breakfast. Better than typical continental breakfast at chains. Had premade omelettes, eggs, bacon, biscuits, etc but not great. Friendly staff. Recommend!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Peggynj59
VA293, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

Dear Peggy,

Thank you for your review. Our breakfast does have a lot more items than the usual hotel chains. Hope to see you again. Thanks again.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

beds great along with ac but shower below par and excellent breakfast

Room Tip: ac great along with breakfast however we had suite that seem small for a suite and the water pressu...
1  Thank dalton4unc

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your review and would like to apologize about the shower pressure. We have fixed the problem with the shower pressure and implemented a new shower program. Thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

This is an award-winner by the parent Choice Hotels, and we sort of have to wonder why because it seemed to us that this is a very average hotel. It is clean, which is important, and the staff was very pleasant and helpful. The room itself was pretty standard --- nothing special, but not outstanding. The bed was fine, as were the pillows, and the lighting was fine. Shelf space for luggage was limited. The bathroom was small with limited shelf space, and the shower was pretty wimpy. There were four sets of towels, however, and they were fine. The common room was very nice, and the breakfast was better than average --- a nice varied selection of breakfast foods. The two negatives we observed were that the cushions on the hide-a-bed sofa in the room were in very poor (crushed/saggy) condition, and the side entrance to the hotel did not lock --- which is a major security issue in our opinion. The hotel is located just off the Interstate and the entrance off Main Street is easily confused with that of the neighboring Holiday Inn Express, especially the parking areas. Value-wise, this hotel at $97 Senior rates is not particularly cheap, but is inexpensive relative to the other chain hotels in the area.

Room Tip: A higher-numbered room X15 or higher puts you at the back of the hotel, away from the street.

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review. I understand that our room was just “average” in your opinion. We have won the Platinum Award for multiple years. Our rooms may not be “luxurious.” I believe you were expecting something more equivalent to the Plaza Hotel in New York, but we are simply a Quality Inn & Suites. We do the best we can according to Choice Hotel guidelines. We have upgraded our shower pressure. We are also in the process of changing our sofa beds. The lock on the side entrance is something we have been looking into as well. We do have a sign right next to our hotel which is lit and visible. I’m sorry for the confusion. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

The hotel room was clean and quiet. I am very sensitive to noise and travel with a white noise machine and earplugs. I didn't need either. Inside the room, we didn't hear the sounds of other travelers like voices in the hall, slamming doors or cars in the parking lot. When I opened the door I could hear all the noise from the breakfast room and front desk, but when the door was closed it sounded like I had the hotel to myself.

I was traveling with my mother (in her mid-70's). She said she slept better at the Quality Inn in Abingdon, Virginia than she did in her own bed.

Room Tip: We were told the rooms in the 1st floor near the swimming pool were the quietest. We stayed on the 1...
1  Thank halfCourt

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your review. I have to agree our hotel is much quieter than other hotels. The hotel was designed as block frame building rather than wood framed building, which helps to reduce noise throughout the hotel. I am so glad your mother slept as well as she did. It is always nice to hear personal guest comments. Thank you for taking the time for your review, and please visit us again.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

The Quality Inn & Suites is ideally located as you are coming into Abingdon and is near good restaurants, shopping, and The Barter Theatre. Was so convenient to what we wanted to do. Room was super clean and the young man at the front desk was very helpful. The free breakfast was very good - had hot and cold foods to choose from. Rate was very good - we have the Choice Rewards Program Membership and that always comes in handy. We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barb_PIndianTrail_NC

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing our facility. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we are always open to suggestions as well. Hope to see you again in the near future. Also, we would like to say thank you for your review.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

I was passing through the area from Virginia to NC. I needed a place to stay overnight. Not something too cheap and not something too expensive. This was perfect. The lobby is well decorated and the room was clean. What more could I ask for?

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank guest a

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We really do appreciate you for taking the time for to write the review. Our lobby is very spacious and well decorated. We do take great pride in making sure all our rooms are extremely clean. That is very important to us. Hopefully, we will be seeing you again. Thank you.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Right off I-81, this hotel fit the bill for location and having rooms big enough for my family of 6.
Check-in took only seconds. Our room was clean and a crib was waiting for us when we arrived. So often, I order a crib and then have to call again when we get there so that's one less thing to wait for with 4 little kids.
The beds were comfortable but the sofa bed was worn in one corner. If you sat on the end, you'd fall through!
The free breakfast had many choices, both hot and cold. I never saw them run out of anything so the help was good at keeping an eye out and refilling plates. My only complaint (and this seems true for most hotels) is that there were never enough tables for the number of guests. Most tables only fit two but we did manage to squeeze six of us at a 4-top. But I'd say that there was enough table seating for 16 and then a few huge chairs. The breakfast attendant did find me a booster and a high chair without me asking and she was very helpful and friendly.
This seemed like a hotel popular with traveling sports teams. We saw two groups while we were there but they were the most reasonable groups of teenagers. We've actually checked out of hotels because the kids were so badly behaved and the chaperones so dopey but these groups were nearly silent without a chaperone in sight!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank elawson

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Quality Inn & Suites in Abingdon, VA. We appreciate your review. I am glad our rooms were large enough for you party of six. I am also glad the crib was already placed in your room. If we are told in advance we will get the crib or even a rollaway in your room ahead of time. I agree that our sofa beds are below par and we are in the process of replacing them. It is really difficult for us to get more tables in our breakfast area. We are also thinking of replacing some of our furnishings to get more tables in; however, it is very difficult when we do have a full house to squeeze most of our guests in the lobby. Thank you for your suggestions. We do really appreciate your suggestions to make your stay better. I also agree with your thoughts on traveling sport teams and groups. It can be a difficult task to control a group without proper chaperones, but we do try our best to inform all of our groups that there are other guests in the facility. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and do hope to see you again. Thank you for take the time for your review.