“Not what I was expecting” 2 of 5 bubbles

Heartwood Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 89 Restaurants in Abingdon
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bristol, Virginia
“Not what I was expecting”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

When we walked into Heartwood we were excited about trying out the restaurant as it smelled so good but were disappointing in the final product. Wasn't as good as we had hoped but willing to try it again next visit.

Visited June 2012

Virginia
“Local Foods Made With Fine Dining Flair”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

My husband and I booked with Heartwood for Valentines Day and WOW! I was met my the hostess and given a long stem red rose and a gift bag with two wine glasses. The food was from local farmers and prepared by the chef. The Crooked Road provided entertainment, while we ate by candlelight. The desert was wonderful and the chef made his rounds to each table to make sure everyone enjoyed the meal. Can't wait to eat there again, a foodies Gem for sure!!!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Local produce, Local Beef”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

Sunday Brunch, or anytime they always have something local on the menu, an Angus Burger or Pork Tenderloin are always excellent, I eat there often. Nice setting and responsive wait staff, my daughter says they have the best Mac & Cheeseshe has ever had. Overall always a very good dining experience.

• Visited December 2012
Abingdon, Virginia, United States
“Sunday Gospel Brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

Great selection of dishes and an omelet bar. Some of the best grits around. Desserts are wonderful. Easy to seat a group of 12 after church.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Joann M
“Sunday Brunch: A Wonderful Treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

The Heartwood Restaurant off of exit 14 is one of the best restaurants around. The atmosphere is calm and cozy, the food service director is very knowledgeable and helpful, and the Chef is great!

We came for the Sunday Brunch. Granted that it is $19.00 each, this was a treat for us.

We got there early (10;15 a.m.) and was the first people there. We were promptly seated. The waitress really didn't seem awake yet, I guess. She brought us out our drinks and said help yourself. We went up to look at EVERYTHING they had. WOW! There's something for everyone. One bar had fresh cheeses, fruit, salad. Another bar had the breakfast pastries such as the best cinnamon rolls I've ever had. Biscuits, gravy, bacon, sausage, etc. were here too. Another bar had more of the lunch items. The Chicken and Dumplings, though the sauce was a little thin, had more chicken than dumplings. But, the dumplings were so fully, I wanted more of that!

They have a chef cooking fresh omelets and another lunch dish (which was pork stir fry.) He’s very friendly and even gave me a few tips on how to make the best omelet.

The desserts were not labeled, like one review said, but they were freshly made and had a really good flavor. They even have a chocolate dipping station (not sure what the high class folks call that.)

The Food Service Director asked a few times if we had everything we needed or if he could do something for us (more than our waitress). He explained a little bit about how the restaurant involves the local farmers.

• Visited November 2012