“Horrible Experience”
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We booked a room here en route to drop our daughter off for her freshman year at college. The room rate was excessive (more than triple the advertised rate) because of the proximity to a race occurring at the Bristol Motor Raceway. The room we requested was non-smoking. I even called the hotel to ensure that the request was honored. The room we were given was definitely a smoking room. When we unfolded the sleeper sofa for our daughter, we discovered broken glass had been just below the sofa cushions. We discovered this when our daughter had a piece of glass embedded in her foot. Our complaint to the front desk yielded "oh, that's too bad" as the only response. For $350 a night, I expected SOME customer service!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Sharron T
Kate M, Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2015

We were sorry to see that you were unhappy at the property. We are a 100% smoke free property and are unsure of why your room smelled like smoke. Wishing you and your family health and happiness in the future!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night during a visit to Abingdon to attend the Barter Theater. The hotel is well situated close to an interstate exit and is easy to find. We were upgraded to a suite and our room was at one end of the top floor. The room was large, clean and the bathroom had enough towels. The bed was very comfortable and had both firm and fluffy pillows. The Wi-Fi worked well in our room. The front desk was friendly and helpful. The typical morning breakfast was offered and was passable, but that was not the reason I chose this hotel.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank LMDominguez
Kate M, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Thank you for your kind review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel! We hope you come again next time you visit the Barter Theatre!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The staff was so nice when we checked in, they even honored a request for adjoining rooms, which was so great as we were traveling with friends and between us we have small children and it was a great way to get to chat in own room as the kiddos slept in the other all while the door was open so we could keep an eye on them! The price was nice, the room was clean, it had a fridge and nice small sitting area. My only two complaints would be that our shower had mold in it (not a horrible amount, but I think they could probably clean it.) and the pool area was a mess. The water was a color of green I'd never seen ... So green, that I was a little nervous letting the kids get in. The hot-tub was also broke at the time of our stay. Not that the pool nips a huge "need" in a hotel, but it is a nice perk for families with children.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank meamaam
comfortinn_abingdon, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

We were so glad that overall you like the hotel and our caring staff! I apologize for the color of the pool. I can guarantee that the chemicals are checked daily and that we do preventive maintenance on the pool daily as well. I hope you come back soon and visit us!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed here overnight to rest at our halfway point back home. We made sure to get a hotel with a pool so we could entertain our boys. They were very excited to go to the pool after driving in the car for 6 hours! MAJOR disappointment! The pool was green and you definitely couldn't see the bottom. I asked the desk clerk (who appeared to be the only one there) and asked about the green pool. I was told that the pool had been drained and scrubbed less than a month ago. I had stuck my foot in the water it was very warm. I also asked about the temp. I was told that the pool was kept at 86 degrees all year round!!! None of that sounded right to me from my knowledge about pools. There were people swimming in the pool and sitting in the hot tub. I had to endure the tirade of my children because I refused to let them get some kind of crazy disease from that water. The room itself, the one I stayed in was very much in need of an update. The decor was very 90's. The pull out sofa only slept one as it was a twin. The two other beds were very soft, the pillows were lumpy. On the plus side, our room was clean. Breakfast ended a little too early for us. The hostess was kind enough to help us scrounge something together so we didn't have to buy breakfast somewhere else. Find a place to eat in this area was not easy after 8pm. So if you are going to get there after 8 make sure to get something to eat first.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 1st floor. I think rooms upstairs maybe more updated.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jordan757

We were glad to see that you noticed the room was very clean and the staff did try to accommodate you when you came to breakfast after hours. We are sorry that you did not like the hotel and thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

The room was nice. Two double beds and a couch. Microwave and refrigerator where great to have.
The room was pretty clean except for 2 big dead bugs in shower. (At least they were dead.)
The pool water was green and I couldn't see to the bottom, was told never to swim in pool that you can't see the bottom.
The shower made a high pitched loud noise and I told the manager when I checked out.
All in all ok. The hallways had running kids from baseball team so kinda took away the romance.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank travel1215
Kate M, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

We were glad to see that you were happy that we had a refrigerator and a microwave in every room. I was a bit confused on the mention of the double beds, all of the rooms with two beds have queen beds in them. Hoping that you come again so we have the opportunity to truly "wow" you with our service!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We just spent four nights at The Comfort Suites. Our granddaughters loved the large room and the indoor swimming pool. My husband liked the easy access on and off the interstate. I was very pleased that the staff took in consideration that we had children traveling with us when deciding on our room location. They were all very pleasant and kind when dealing with us and our grandchildren. The housekeeping staff even tucked in the girls teddy bear and doll when making up our room. Thank you for making such a good impression and giving them a good example of going beyond their required duties.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank striclinda

We are glad that you came to visit us with your granddaughters! We love our tiny guests as well as our adult guests! Come again soon! Don't forget the teddy bear!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just returned from two nights at this property. I had a kids' group and we were using seven rooms. The hotel staff was very accommodating to our group. Spacious rooms and the sleeper sofa was a big plus. Breakfast was great. Pool had a funky green tint to the water color, but didn't seem to bother the kids at all. Wi-fi went down once but the staff had it back and running in no time. My only wish is that there were more restaurants within easy walking distance, but there was a great pizza place a hundred yards away.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

We LOVED your group of kids that came in! They were awesome! We are so glad that you came to visit us in your travels! We hope you will come back again next year!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Quality Inn & Suites
Fairfield Inn & Suites Abingdon
Courtyard Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
#2 of 13 in Bristol

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!