“Good place to stay”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Abingdon
Charleston
“Good place to stay”
Reviewed 20 March 2007

I read the two previous reviews and all I can say is things have been fixed. My room was spotless, the service was great, the breakfast was as good as any I get anywhere else. I travel for business and spend about one week per month on the road. I will stay here anytime.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank PremiumAuditor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 October 2006

This, too, is my first bad review of a property. My husband and I travel with our children regularly and rely heavily on advise found in trip advisor.

After reading the previous review, I was very reluctant to book here, but decided to risk it, as they have an indoor pool and I was traveling with four children. BIG MISTAKE!

My initial reservation experience was just as I would have expected from the previous review of this hotel. I was traveling with another couple and booking two rooms. The reservationist would allow me to book my room, but not the other, since my companions were not there to tell him to use their credit card to reserve the room. I have worked for a company for years and never had a problem making travel arrangements for our salesmen in their absence. I was also shocked when he asked for the 3 digit pin number on the back of the card. I know this is now done for purchases, but I was making a reservation only and would be there in two days with the card in hand. I decided to avoid interactions with the staff in the future and that it would be okay since we would be there for only one night.

The room was nice and large and adequate for our needs. My son pointed out the mold in the tub as we were getting ready for bed. (I had already make a note of it from the previous review.)

The most frustrating part or our brief stay came the next morning when we arrived for breakfast. We had asked when breakfast was over and had been told 9am the previous night. We scheduled ourselves accordingly and arrived in the dining room at 8:40am. With 7 people in our party, I knew immediately that we were in trouble. There was one plate, one doughnut, two slices of white bread, No waffle mix and almost no milk. There were a few egg rounds and bisquits. With four children in our party, I knew we would need milk for cereal and waffle mix for the waffle machine. I could tell that the server was irritated at our arrival from the moment we came in. I asked if we might have some waffle mix and a full pitcher of milk since we had so many children. She said, "I'm already doing that!" She put out two batter cups and filled the milk pitcher 1/4 full. I asked for two more batter cups for the children and decided not to bother her for anything else to avoid further confrontation. As other guests trickled in, they began to ask for things. When almost nothing is there, they had no choice but to ask. As 9am approached, one our our adult guests knocked on the door to ask for milk for her cereal. (She did not know that I had already requested a full pitcher and had been met with a fourth that.) She was told breakfast was over. Our companion stated that she understood the need to close some food stations, but that she had arrived for breakfast on time and wasn't through eating. The server reluctantly gave her milk but refused when her husband requested some as well. She slammed the door in his face and continued to slam the door as she came and went. We were all in shock at the rudeness. We were so excited to be riding the creeper trail and this altercation marred the entire day. We spoke to the owner and was told that there was nothing he could do about rude employees, as he owned several hotels in the area and had trouble finding help at all.

As stated by the original review, be very careful when considering this property. Even when you think you might avoid intereraction with employees, something inevitably comes up!

• Liked — Room Size
  • Disliked — Rude employees and apathetic owner.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here if you think you might interact with the staff in any way.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank ShannonZ
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 July 2006

First off, this is the first bad review I have ever written, but this place was BAD.
As a frequent traveller to Abingdon, I made arrangements directly with the pleasant-sounding hotel manager. As it turned out, he only sounded pleasant.
On arrival, the rooms were satisfactory except for some minor cleanliness issues (mold) in the bath. The room was very big, but sparsely furnished. A strange thing happened when one day I found a new, homemade lookiing, armoir had been added to the room. It appeared to have been made from plywood and smelled bad, like turpentine.
As I stated earlier, I made my arrangements directly with the manager, who apparently owns several area hotels, and was not available to help with a problem I was having. Without going into details, the inept, apathetic, front desk crew allowed a large discrepancy to go to my date of checkout. When I brought it to their attention, they were not authorized to fix it. I was forced to wait 45 minutes while another manager (not the one I spoke with) could come to the hotel.
Another very disappointing feature of this hotel was the breakfast. It was composed of stale bagels and "chunky" cream cheese. There was not orange juice or fresh fruit, and the coffee was terrible.
I will not and have not stayed at this hotel again, and would advise extreme caution against staying there.

• Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Quality Inn & Suites
Hilton Garden Inn Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
#2 of 13 in Bristol

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!