“Phenomenal doesn't begin to describe our experience with The Copper Lantern Inn”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Abingdon
Copper Lantern Boutique Inn
Ranked #1 of 16 Abingdon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The Copper Lantern Inn was so very much more than we ever could have dreamed. I have been to many places where we have had good service - but this Inn is truly amazing!!!

From the moment that Betty first took our reservation we knew this place was going to be something special. She helped my husband to plan the most lovely and romantic surprises for me on our anniversary trip. And by plan - I do not only mean our stay at this gorgeous inn. She made sure we received discounted Barter Theatre Tickets, helped us find a fantastic bike shop within two blocks of the inn for our Creeper Trail Ride, and made certain we had special "Anniversary" recognition at both Rain and The Tavern.

When we arrived, we were greeted at the door by Kimberly - who is an absolutely lovely and gracious hostess. She is the sweetest woman and made sure we were completely pampered. Our wine glasses much like our tummies never emptied. I consider myself to be a foodie - and let me tell you my taste buds were singing her praises! I actually left begging her to do a special weekend where she teaches some of her fantastic recipes. Her breakfast creations were simply stunning and her appetizers nearly ruined us for dinner. She made certain we were well taken care of and suggested so many interesting places to visit in Abingdon (like the Abingdon Olive Oil Company - do not miss that). We came strangers, and left friends.

The Inn. The Copper Lantern in and of itself is stunning. The location cannot be beat in downtown Abbingdon. It is literally two blocks from the best resturants, antique shops, and Barter Theatre. The gardens, despite the ridiculous amount of rain we have been having this summer are quite charming. The front porch, particularly with the comfortable furniture on it, was our favorite place to curl up together with wine and a lovely book. The furniture and decor inside is comfortable - not stuffy, and it is so clean. We stayed in the Washington Suite. The linens were amazing - 1,000 thread count. The beds were pillowy soft - and the suite has a massage bed - wonderful after 17 miles on the Creeper Trail! The bathroom in this suite has a huge walk in shower with great water pressure and a copper tub that is around 100 years old - simply gorgeous!

The ONLY bad part about our visit is that my husband made me pack up and come home. I am so looking forward to our next visit.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

In April my wife and I planned a July trip to Abingdon, VA, and contacted the Copper Lantern Inn based on the Tripadvisor reviews. I spoke to the owner and booked two nights. I asked what the amount of the deposit I needed to send was and she told me they operated on the honor system and I did not need to send a deposit. She proceeded to talk to me about things she felt we would want to do while in Abingdon, which restaurants we would want to visit and which attractions, including the Barter Theater, we would want to take advantage of. I explained that our primary interest was in cycling and we liked to be spontaneous when we traveled. She said to please call her back prior to our visit so that we could talk more about what we were interested in doing. She did not ask that I call her back within any specified time period, and I understood that the purpose of this call was solely to talk about any attraction or restaurant reservations.

When I called a week before our visit, I was completely taken aback to be told that their "schedule had changed," apparently a Copper Lantern euphemism for having given our booked room to someone else, and that no other rooms were available. The owner told me they did so because I did not call them back, in spite of the fact that no time frame for the return call was specified. Also they had both my email address and phone number and could easily have contacted me to be sure. When I pointed to those facts, she told me that "no one would call back only a week before," due to the well known (in her view) popularity of Abingdon. She went on to say that I wasn't wanted at the Inn now anyway because of my attitude. She took no responsibility of any sort for the situation, and insisted that the sole reason for it was my failure to call her back within the time period she expected but had never specified.

Apparently the Copper Lantern Inn's "honor" reservation system applies only to prospective guests, not to the Inn itself. It seems possible that there was some kind of internal communication mixup on the part of the Inn, but there was no willingness to acknowledge anything of the sort. Instead the customer was completely wrong and unworthy of a room, due to having failed to meet an (unspecified) expectation. We did continue with our plans, staying elsewhere, and had no difficulty getting into anything we were interested in doing, by the way.

8  Thank Howard R
stylehaus, Owner at Copper Lantern Boutique Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Greetings, my name is Kimberly, I am a small business, that my family and I run. I am responding to this review because it is not only fabricated, but simply unfounded and not justified.

This person did not stay with us. We have rules and regulations stipulated in our web. We do have an honor system, happily to report, simply get back with us with in a certain time, reasonable minds would say after 2 mos and not hearing back from a client one assumes silence means -no longer interested. That being said after numerous attempts to contact this person, we had to make a business decision.

This person, within minus a week of his original schedule,suddenly calls after months of no contact, and demanded, why he did not have a room. We kept our word, an were honorable, we had filled the room and we offered to help him find another place to stay. This person became loud on the phone and rude. My
Inn will not put up with bad behavior, simply put. I hope the public can see pass this review and know that our 111 excellent reviews are valid. And as a last note, honor is everything, it is your word
it sets you apart in the world.

To the wonderful comments,

Thank you, you make us try harder to be better so we can always say from my first guest "Come as strangers, now happily up-graded to" Come as strangers, leave as family".

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We came to Abingdon to ride the Virginia Creeper. We found the Copper Lantern on
TripAdvisor. We had the best stay ever at a B&B. From the moment we called Betty we were treated like family. They took care of all our dinner reservations and told us where to rent bikes. They recommended places in town for us to visit which were great. Upon arrival Kim treated us like family. She waited on us and fed us the best gourmet appetizers we have ever eaten. We felt like we were at home. Kim is awesome and the Inn is beautiful. Jackson and Beulah, Kim's dogs were an extra special treat for us. The front porch was so relaxing that we spend both evenings sitting out there enjoying the fresh air. Breakfast each morning was a real treat. I have never seen my husband eat so much. Kim thinks of everything. She even packed us snacks for the Creeper Trail. We did not want to leave. The rooms are beautiful and the bedding is exquisite. We stayed in the Washington Suite which was breathtaking. We have already scheduled a trip back just to stay at the the Inn and visit with Kim and Betty. We loved our experience. T and T from North Carolina

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!!!!
1  Thank Terri D
Reviewed 2 July 2013

The Copper Lantern made our stay in Abingdon an amazing experience! We loved the inn and greatly appreciated all of the care and hospitality that Kim, Betty and their staff put into making our trip so special. They took care of our every need from arranging dinner reservations to booking seats at the Barter Theater to preparing an amazing gourmet breakfast It was truly an incredible experience! We can’t wait to come back to stay at the inn for an extended period of time. This is the only place to stay if you are coming to Abingdon!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Weddington52
Reviewed 30 June 2013

The staff were very helpful and friendly and worked hard to make our stay enjoyable. They booked reservations for us at restaurants and helped get us discounts at the Barter theater and the Virginia Creeper trail. We stayed in the Washington suite which had a king sized bed (very soft) and a huge bathroom with a copper tub and a walkin shower. There was no TV in the room, but there is one in the living room downstairs. They made up a goody bag with water, apples, and trail bars for us to take on the Creeper trail. This came in quite handy!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank awesome1jh
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here the night of our wedding...I cannot say enough good things about the Inn and those precious ladies! Betty and Kim made sure everything was just perfect for us, they left us balloons, champagne with strawberries, a cake, fresh white and pink peonies (which were our wedding flowers and colors!) and a little card congratulating us! We stayed in the Washington Suite and it was perfection...from the copper tub, to the massive walk-in shower, and the bed that slept like a dream. Our breakfast was delicious....banana fosters pancakes, fresh fruit, and bacon...we woke up to the wonderful aroma filling the house! We are from the area, only 15 minutes down the road, but we WILL for sure be back!

Love,
The Weavers :)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2013

This was our first overnight visit to Abingdon, VA and after searching B&Bs in the area I called the Copper Lantern Inn and spoke with Betty. Immediately I was drawn to her very pleasing personality on the phone and looked forward to meeting her. Well, we were not disappointed. Betty, Roy and Kimberly were the ultimate hosts! GREAT folks who have the gift of knowing how to entertain their guests. We immediately felt at home as we enjoyed conversation and cheese/crackers on the front porch of their beautiful home. The Inn is beautifully decorated as well as the grounds and we thoroughly enjoyed listening to Betty explain how the themes of each room. I particularly enjoyed the Capt. Roy Aker's Military Room that Kimberly dedicated in honor of her Father. As for breakfast, it was a group effort on the part of Betty, Roy and Kimberly and they out did themselves. It was awesome and was the first time we had tried lightly fried thick sliced tomatoes in olive oil which were delicious. This was truly five star accommodations and dining at its best! We look forward to our next visit to Copper Lantern Inn and enjoying more of the uniqueness that Abingdon, VA has to offer.

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the house; however, we stayed in the Washington Room which was simply the best!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple