“absolutely great!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Abingdon
Copper Lantern Boutique Inn
Ranked #1 of 16 Abingdon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My wife suprised me by booking a trip to the Copper Lantern Inn in Abingdon, and it was simply a wonderful experience. Kim and Betty (the owners) are simply the best. They graciously welcomed us and our fellow guests with wine and hors d'oeuvres on thier beautiful front porch. They made sure we ate at the best resturants, scheduled the best biking trip, and had the best seats at the Barter Theater. Our room was great, and the bed was the softest most comfortable bed ever (seriously!). Also, Kim is a fabulous cook, and her inspired breakfasts are worth the trip alone! Our experience was 5 stars all the way around. Great hospitlaity, great accomodations, great company, great food, great hosts.... great stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tigerhood05

Reviewed 6 October 2013

This was our first time to Abingdon, VA and first time at a B&B. The Copper Lantern Inn exceeded all expectations...from the most delicious breakfasts to the charming home to the world's best hosts. Kimberly and Betty are spectacular...they set up our reservations and made excellent recommendations for activities/restaurants. But beyond that...they made us feel like family and like we were right at home! They have set the bar high for B&Bs. What a wonderful place to stay and we cannot wait to recommend to all of our friends/family and make a return trip very soon!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2013

After reading so many phenomenal reviews I expected this place to be pretty amazing, but I was still staggered by how truly wonderful it was. It is beautiful, comfortable, so very charming, and the hospitality is like nothing I've ever experienced. Kim was such a gracious and loving host. Whatever we could possibly need, she seemed to be able to anticipate. Just make sure you get here on an empty stomach because there is an endless stream of delicious food and snacks. My husband and I were nervous about splurging so much on a bed and breakfast, but we left feeling like it was a steal.

Room Tip: Don't underestimate the Godmother Lula May Suite!! All the reviews I had read said we "HAD...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I don't usually write reviews but this place truly deserves one. First The two ladies that run the place make you feel like you live there from the moment you walk in. The house is fabulous and the rooms awesome, I think we stayed in the Washington room which was the largest one. The bed and linens were perfect with a great bathroom and full of antique furniture, really, really nice.
We were in town there so I could visit where my ancestors lived two hundred years ago and could only come from DC in the middle of the week, They opened the place for just us sice they are normally closed during the week.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank vlstrauss
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Our stay at the Copper Latern Inn could not have been more perfect! You get so much more than you pay for! The gracious Copper Lantern staff, the charming and luxurious inn itself, and the amazing food made our stay one we will never forget!

First of all, the mother and daughter that own and manage the inn are the most gracious hostesses we have ever met! We spoke with Betty first on the phone, and planned our weekend together. She showed so much interest in our lives even though we had never even met! She was a breath of fresh air, and we knew we were in for a treat. Kimberly, Betty's daughter, was absolutely wonderful! She took care of us so well from recommending the must-sees of Abington to making sure our tummies were full of good drinks and yummy food to turning down the bed and surprising us with special treats. She out did herself in every aspect of hospitality!

Secondly, the inn is beautiful! It has a cozy, eclectic and charming atmosphere. The bed in the Washington room was heavenly! The down mattress, the plush pillows, the fine linens, and down comforter make you want to stay in bed all day! We felt rejuvenated by the good sleep we got in our lovely room. The walk-in shower and the 100 year old copper bathtub were added bonuses! Every other room in the inn was so warm and inviting!

Lastly, the food was amazing! From tasty appetizers before dinner to perfect pairings for breakfast, the food Kimberly made always exceeded our expectations! We enjoyed her meals more than any other meal in Abington.

Betty and Kimberly, Thank you so much for our perfect weekend! We came as strangers and felt that we left as family. We will be back as soon as possible!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The Copper Lantern Inn was so very much more than we ever could have dreamed. I have been to many places where we have had good service - but this Inn is truly amazing!!!

From the moment that Betty first took our reservation we knew this place was going to be something special. She helped my husband to plan the most lovely and romantic surprises for me on our anniversary trip. And by plan - I do not only mean our stay at this gorgeous inn. She made sure we received discounted Barter Theatre Tickets, helped us find a fantastic bike shop within two blocks of the inn for our Creeper Trail Ride, and made certain we had special "Anniversary" recognition at both Rain and The Tavern.

When we arrived, we were greeted at the door by Kimberly - who is an absolutely lovely and gracious hostess. She is the sweetest woman and made sure we were completely pampered. Our wine glasses much like our tummies never emptied. I consider myself to be a foodie - and let me tell you my taste buds were singing her praises! I actually left begging her to do a special weekend where she teaches some of her fantastic recipes. Her breakfast creations were simply stunning and her appetizers nearly ruined us for dinner. She made certain we were well taken care of and suggested so many interesting places to visit in Abingdon (like the Abingdon Olive Oil Company - do not miss that). We came strangers, and left friends.

The Inn. The Copper Lantern in and of itself is stunning. The location cannot be beat in downtown Abbingdon. It is literally two blocks from the best resturants, antique shops, and Barter Theatre. The gardens, despite the ridiculous amount of rain we have been having this summer are quite charming. The front porch, particularly with the comfortable furniture on it, was our favorite place to curl up together with wine and a lovely book. The furniture and decor inside is comfortable - not stuffy, and it is so clean. We stayed in the Washington Suite. The linens were amazing - 1,000 thread count. The beds were pillowy soft - and the suite has a massage bed - wonderful after 17 miles on the Creeper Trail! The bathroom in this suite has a huge walk in shower with great water pressure and a copper tub that is around 100 years old - simply gorgeous!

The ONLY bad part about our visit is that my husband made me pack up and come home. I am so looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2013

In April my wife and I planned a July trip to Abingdon, VA, and contacted the Copper Lantern Inn based on the Tripadvisor reviews. I spoke to the owner and booked two nights. I asked what the amount of the deposit I needed to send was and she told me they operated on the honor system and I did not need to send a deposit. She proceeded to talk to me about things she felt we would want to do while in Abingdon, which restaurants we would want to visit and which attractions, including the Barter Theater, we would want to take advantage of. I explained that our primary interest was in cycling and we liked to be spontaneous when we traveled. She said to please call her back prior to our visit so that we could talk more about what we were interested in doing. She did not ask that I call her back within any specified time period, and I understood that the purpose of this call was solely to talk about any attraction or restaurant reservations.

When I called a week before our visit, I was completely taken aback to be told that their "schedule had changed," apparently a Copper Lantern euphemism for having given our booked room to someone else, and that no other rooms were available. The owner told me they did so because I did not call them back, in spite of the fact that no time frame for the return call was specified. Also they had both my email address and phone number and could easily have contacted me to be sure. When I pointed to those facts, she told me that "no one would call back only a week before," due to the well known (in her view) popularity of Abingdon. She went on to say that I wasn't wanted at the Inn now anyway because of my attitude. She took no responsibility of any sort for the situation, and insisted that the sole reason for it was my failure to call her back within the time period she expected but had never specified.

Apparently the Copper Lantern Inn's "honor" reservation system applies only to prospective guests, not to the Inn itself. It seems possible that there was some kind of internal communication mixup on the part of the Inn, but there was no willingness to acknowledge anything of the sort. Instead the customer was completely wrong and unworthy of a room, due to having failed to meet an (unspecified) expectation. We did continue with our plans, staying elsewhere, and had no difficulty getting into anything we were interested in doing, by the way.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Howard R
stylehaus, Owner at Copper Lantern Boutique Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Greetings, my name is Kimberly, I am a small business, that my family and I run. I am responding to this review because it is not only fabricated, but simply unfounded and not justified.

This person did not stay with us. We have rules and regulations stipulated in our web. We do have an honor system, happily to report, simply get back with us with in a certain time, reasonable minds would say after 2 mos and not hearing back from a client one assumes silence means -no longer interested. That being said after numerous attempts to contact this person, we had to make a business decision.

This person, within minus a week of his original schedule,suddenly calls after months of no contact, and demanded, why he did not have a room. We kept our word, an were honorable, we had filled the room and we offered to help him find another place to stay. This person became loud on the phone and rude. My
Inn will not put up with bad behavior, simply put. I hope the public can see pass this review and know that our 111 excellent reviews are valid. And as a last note, honor is everything, it is your word
it sets you apart in the world.

To the wonderful comments,

Thank you, you make us try harder to be better so we can always say from my first guest "Come as strangers, now happily up-graded to" Come as strangers, leave as family".