“Excellent Bed and Breakfast”
Review of White Birches Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Abingdon
White Birches Inn
Ranked #4 of 16 Abingdon B&B and Inns
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Excellent Bed and Breakfast”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

This was one of the best bed and breakfasts I have stayed at in awhile. The people were very genuine and come across as kind heart, loving people.

I would choose this bed and breakfast over anywhere else to stay if it were up to me, but my wife likes to mix it up and go to all different places.

Food was an A++, excellent. I loved it.

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing. Choose any of them.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reviewed 19 August 2012

My husband and I recently celebrated our anniversary and chose this property for a 2-night weekend. This B&B is easy to get to and the structure is beautiful, as are the grounds. Once inside, the furnishings are dark, bulky and somewhat crowded. We entered through the front door, signed in, then were informed we were not to use the front door again, or to go into the living room on the left. We were assigned to enter and exit through the back door and go around the dining room and up the stairs to our suite. We could, however, help ourselves to both soft drinks and fruit juices from the small refrigerator in the back of the living room. We could have either 1 beer or 1 glass of wine, but no more than one per day. Our room was supposed to be stocked with chocolates. We were greeted with a dish of plain Hershey's Kisses and a small plate with 4 Pepperidge Farms cookies covered in plastic wrap. Our room, the Porterfield Suite was $179/night + tax. The size of the room was adequate, but the bathroom was cozy and poorly lit for applying makeup and styling hair. The bed was very comfortable and everything was clean and smelled fresh. Interestingly, the flat screen TV was smaller than my computer monitor. Down the hall was a video library consisting of a number of VHS as well as some DVD's, mostly oldies, that we could borrow. We were instructed to, "Not even think of turning on the gas fireplace" in our suite.

The most celebrated aspect of our stay at this B&B was our time spent out back on the lovely covered porch. It was spacious and the furnishings comfortable and inviting. Soft music played in the background and just beyond the covered porch we could view a nice pond stocked with an assortment of fish. Beyond the back yard was a fenced in area where sheep grazed. There were a lot of photo opportunities outside.

What wasn't so celebrated and made us feel we paid way too much for this B&B was the second "B", the breakfast. While both mornings we were served attractive plates of food, the portions were meager and the foods were quite simple. I have stayed at other properties where the food was interesting, amazing delicious, inspiring, and left me wanting recipes for their homemade delights. I expected more than frozen hashbrown patties molded in a muffin tin, filled with a tablespoon of scrambled eggs, 2 stalks of steamed asparagus, a store-bought mini croissant, and 2 frozen and re-heated sausage links our first morning. The next morning we were served 2 slices of French toast sticks made from again store-bought bread, covered with orange marmalade and a 2-inch segment of polish sausage, garnished with 3 bites of fruit. I expected to be wowed. No wow factor served either morning. I guess the most interesting aspect of breakfast was the centerpiece on the table. It was lovely.

Both mornings, the Innkeeper and his wife joined us at the table and had coffee while we ate. I wouldn't have minded had they been interested in our lives and what we had to say. I heard about how wonderful and successful their children were and about how the wife was going to write a book about the people who had stayed at their Inn. When my husband and I and the other guests tried to talk, they joined into every conversation and turned it into a debate. Some even turned into heated arguments when the Innkeepers challenged all of us. It's not easy to digest frozen and re-heated sausage links in this type of environment. I might suggest they listen more and talk less, or enjoy their coffee in their private living room by the front door. We promise not to bother them there.

Room Tip: Only one (very small) room is on the ground. The others are upstairs.
6 Thank TravelDiva001
Reviewed 6 August 2012

My wife and I visited thie B&B for ther first time to celebrate our 41st anniversary. We were sitting on the backporch reading when the owners came out to visit. When they found out that I was in the insurance business they started commenting about how they detested insurance companies and did not trust them. This went on for a while and then they got to discussing politics. Mrs. Wartella even said that my wife and I did not like Obama because he was a BLACK BOY. She then left the porch several times and came back to make other points. I feel like I was the paying guest and did not come there to discuss and defend my occupation or beliefs. We were trying to relax and enjoy the weekend. I have been staying in B&B's for 30 years and have never run up like a situation like this. I would advise anyone to go to one of the other customer friendly B&B's if traveling to Abdingdon, Va. Doug NIchols

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank dougnichols_12
Grateman, Owner at White Birches Inn, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
This review by the above person is most disturbing on many levels. My husband and I have been small business owners of this inn for 14 years and have been blessed to meet interesting people from all over the world and all walks of life….True Angels Unawares. Some guests have been famous, others not. During these 14 years we can count on one hand the number of difficult guests and on only two occasions have we suggested that guests leave… This was the second of those two occasions. The above person and I agree on only one sentence of his complaint. My husband and I did, indeed, chat with them for a few minutes. We try to make a point of chatting briefly with all guests upon arrival. In a five minute conversation we learned more than we wanted or needed to know. After commenting on our “Yankee Accents,” The above person told us that in where he grew up, everybody found our accent to be offensive. He told us he had been a Klansman and had a concealed weapon permit and carried it proudly. It was then we decided that we and our guests needed to be far removed from his provocateur behavior and suggested they would be happier at a different lodging facility. We told them there would be no charge for the room and Barter Theatre tickets totaling $500. In our opinion, it was $500 well spent and we extend our prayers and very best wishes to both of them. We are proud to say our ratio of return guests is very high. Guests may draw their own conclusions………Enough said about these people..
Paulette Wartella, Owner/Innkeeper
Mars Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 31 July 2012

After deciding that we wanted to visit Abingdon, we began to search for a B&B, Inn, or hotel in the area for our weekend get-a-way. We tried to make reservations at another Abingdon B&B, but it was totally booked for the weekend by a wedding party. We then called White Birches, and reserved the Tennessee Williams Room. Abingdon is rich in history and we were looking forward to attending the Barter Theatre, but the play we were planning on seeing was sold out. If we had taken the advice of Mike and Paulette, the Innkeepers, we would have been able to see the play anyway; instead, we took in a movie at the local cinema. Mike and Paulette were very helpful and kind. Upon arrival, they gave us a map of Abingdon and gave us advice on restaurants, antiques, and things to do while we were there. We had a silver service breakfast each morning that was wonderful, it was interesting to sit down with the other guests, as well as the Innkeepers, and talk with them. Our stay at The White Birches Inn was a blessing in disguise, how fortunate that the other Inn was booked! While on our way home, we needed a shot glass souvenir and a Christmas ornament from Abingdon. We had searched tirelessly and had not found either. Paulette made some phone calls and found us exactly what we were looking for! We would highly recommend a stay at The White Birches Inn if only for a day!

1 Thank David B
Abingdon, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 24 July 2012

All rooms in this fine Bed and Breakfast are unique in their own way. Each room features it's own theme, focused from playwrights who bartered their work for Virginia Ham.

This is no ordinary bed and breakfast. They give a very warm welcome, and treat you like it's your very own home! I felt like I was at home during my stay! The hosts were extremely nice people, and I felt like I knew them like long time friends after five minutes of chit-chat!

Overall, no complaints. White Birches Inn really exceeds the standard for what a Bed and Breakfast should be!

Room Tip: Be sure to check out their unique garden. Very interesting part of my stay.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Zack H
Fredericksburg, Va.
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We used the inn as a stopover during our roadtrip. A quaint inn located with walking distance of downtown. Our room was the smallest but was more than adequate and bed was very comfortable. Hosts were very friendly. Overall a very nice visit.

1 Thank bud22405
Matthews
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Our weekend trip to celebrate my husband's birthday was just perfect! This home's furrnishings are charming and "antiquey" (which I love), while also being cozy and comfortable (unlike some places which have furniture too small or too stiff to make onesself comfortable.) The back porch is beautiful and is a wonderful place to read, listen to birds AND great music, or converse with others. Paulette and Michael are helpful, informative, and enjoyable hosts. The location of White Birches is very close to Main Street shops, the Barter Theatre (if you go soon, be sure to see "9 to 5"....super!), and restaurants. We will definitely recommend White Birches to friends and family, and we look forward to our next trip. (BTW, we are veteran B&B folks....this one is a "winner!"

Room Tip: We loved the Porterfield Suite....large, with a nice seating area with comfortable chairs...nice bat...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
The Martha Washington Inn and Spa
#4 of 10 in Abingdon
Millsap-Baker Estate
Millsap-Baker Estate
#4 of 5 in Damascus

Been to White Birches Inn? Share your experiences!