“nothing to brag about”

Cuisines: American
Glade Spring, Virginia
“nothing to brag about”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This is an extremely popular restaurant in Abingdon, based on the number of cars that are usually there. Since they built a new replacement restaurant, we wanted to try it out. It was not bad but nothing to brag about. I got the all american burger and it was so-so. I have had better for a cheaper price at most fast food restaurants like McDonalds, Hardees, or Burger King. I thought the onion rings were very greasy.

Wife had fried chicken and it was average. Not near as good as KFC. We will not go back.

• Visited June 2014

Canton, GA
“Nice and Comfortable”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We were looking for some reliable comfort food when we recently stayed in Abingdon, and this Shoney's provided exactly what we were looking for!

Visited June 2014
Honaker, Virginia
“Not a good place to eat on Memorial Day”
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

There were 7 of us, we arrived at 8pm. We were told if we ordered from the menu there would be a long wait, even though there were not many people there. We then agreed to eat from the buffet, the food had been there too long and wasn't very good. While we were eating another couple came in and one of them ordered from the menu and received their food in about 5 minutes. We probably won't be back.

• Visited May 2014
Ceres, Virginia
“Made a bad situation very good!”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I went to Shoneys in Abingdon on a Thursday evening around 5:30 pm. The hostess promptly greeted us and sat us at a table. Then came the wait... We waited almost 15 minutes before a waitress came to our table. The waitress(her name was Shanna) said we weren't her table but she saw we weren't being taken care of and she came over to assist us. Thank goodness for her! I ordered the buffet, which had breakfast on it. It was ok. The things I ate were fine. My wife ordered one of their new Flat bread Philly Cheese steak sandwiches. It was horrible!! The sandwich was extremely greasy, the meat seemed to be a very low quality product and was almost burned, there was maybe 1/8 oz of cheese on the sandwich at the most, and it was a shame that the flat bread was the "best" part of the meal. Needless to say, we gave it back. The manager, Jason, came out and apologized for the sandwich(he said that, in his opinion, that sandwich is a horrible choice. He ate one and did not like it either). He and I agreed that Shoney's needs to get rid of that abomination. He did remove the sandwich from my bill and offered to fix something else but we graciously declined. He was very helpful though and made the visit pleasant. Shanna was extremely good too and went out of her way to salvage what could have been a terrible situation. We'll give them another try, if only because of people like Shanna and Jason.

• Visited May 2014
Edgewood KY
“Keeping driving”
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

The interior is inviting. The wait staff is friendly and attentive. The food leaves much to be desired. The breakfast choices are limited. My husband ordered eggs over easy, wheat toast & sausage. His comment was " The sausage tasted like it was left over from last week & the toast was bad. How can someone goof up toast." I had the banana pancakes & sausage. My sausage was greasy and overdone. The pancakes were tasty, but heavy and dense.

Visited December 2013