“Another Great Find through Deneen Pottery Coffee Mugs”

Afton Mountain Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 5 Afton B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We have just returned from our two night stay at Afton Mountain B&B in Afton, Virginia. It is one of the very nicest of some 36 B&B's that we have visited. Orquida and Dan, the owners and inkeepers, offer gracious hospitality in their inn, a Virginia country farm house built in 1884. Its simple elegance with attention to details offers a quiet respite from the busy world with five beautifully appointed and comfortable rooms and delicious breakfasts prepared using local foods. At 7:15, coffee is available in the hallway outside our rooms and it's great coffee, locally sourced. Our first morning we were served oatmeal pancakes with bacon preceded by a delicious fresh fruit cup. Our second morning was a Southwestern frittata also preceded by a fruit ambrosia and freshly made banana bread. Everything was delicious. The inkeepers are very conscious of the environment and they make every effort to conserve energy and other natural resources. There is much to see and do in the area, yet we found ourselves spending much of our time simply enjoying the inn itself. A beautiful front porch with comfortable rockers invites guests to relax with a good book. Excellent restaurants are nearby. If you are looking for a place to stay in the Charlottesville, Virginia area, you will not be disappointed. We will make this one another of our destination inns and can't wait to return. All five rooms are delightful and we plan to visit them all in our return visits. Very nice place.

We choose our B&B's through the Deneen Pottery website, "Find your next mug" page. This Afton Mountain find is one of the nicest yet.

Room Tip: You couldn't go wrong with any of the rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 April 2013

We found the Afton Mountain Bed & Breakfast on the Blue Mountain Brewery website. We were on a road trip from Washington State to North Carolina to visit our daughter, and we visiting local microbreweries along the way. Driving from Asheville north along the Blue Ridge Parkway, we discovered that the Afton Mt. B & B was only 2.5 miles from the brewery, on the same rural road. Perfect!
Our room was lovely, the house was historic and beautiful, the breakfast was delicious and such a delightful change from the standard fare at the hotels. We try to stay in B&B's when we can find them, but sometimes hotels are all that's readily available, or that allow a one night stay, which is what we needed every night en route to our daughter's. So finding the Afton, with a one night option, so close to our evening's destination, was just a real find for us. And it was affordable. I highly recommend.

Room Tip: The only room available was the Shenandoah, which was the least expensive and on the ground floor. W...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2013

The Afton Mt. B & B was one of the best we've styled in. From the warm welcome, great and comfortable room, to restaurant recommendations, everything was perfect. We added the anniversary package which included a bottle of Virginia wine, a cake, and dining certificate. We can't wait to co back

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie M
Reviewed 24 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here a couple nights in the Mornington Room. My brother-in-law and his fiance stayed in another room. We very much enjoyed staying here. The house, over 150 years old, was beautiful. We took advantage of the two living room areas downstairs and played games in the evening. The afternoon snacks, sodas and always available waters were a nice addition. Breakfast was delicious! I even have a peanut allergy and they were very accommodating about it, letting me know that what I was eating was safe and what had other nuts in it.
On our trip, we visited all the local breweries and went on a hike to nearby humpback rocks. This B&B was a very convenient location.
The bed was very comfortable, and we enjoyed the space the larger Mornington room provided, including a jacuzzi tub. The shower was tiny, but functional, and perfectly fine for a B&B.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We just had a wonderful time at the Afton Mountain B&B. Dan and Orquida really have the whole B&B experience nailed -- great bed, nice food, lovely living room, warm and friendly atmosphere. Only small problem was the size of the Goodwin Room, which we had chosen for its king size bed -- this room is really too small for two people; we spent the first 24 hours tripping over each other and the lack of a closet is a real drawback, altho the large hanger thing over the door is a clever almost-solution. When we go back -- and we certainly will go back -- we will choose the Mornington Room instead. Smaller bed, but much larger room, real closet and a double jacuzzi.

Room Tip: See above comments!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

When I first booked our stay here on December 18, the website told me that I would receive a confirmation phone call within 24 hours. Less than an hour later, Orquida called me and confirmed our stay and checked with me about my gluten allergy so that she could make breakfast to meet my needs. Already, I was very impressed and excited about our stay. On Friday night, after driving for several hours on snowy and icy roads, we pulled into the Afton Mountain Bed and Breakfast where our hosts warmly welcomed us into their home and promptly got us settled into our room. We stayed in the Looking Glass room, which was a cozy room for 2. The room was very clean and we had a very comfortable, restful stay. There were snacks not only in our room, but also in the hallway along with refreshments, which was nice since we arrived kind of late. (My husband LOVED the cookies!) The charm of this b&b, as well as the breakfast each morning was outstanding. I kept raving over how much I loved the architecture of the house, how good the food was, how quiet everything was and how, even though the house was fully booked all weekend, we felt like we were the only ones there. My husband and I were there to visit Monticello and surrounding area. Orquida and Dan gave us info about the places we were headed and helped point us in the right direction. We will definitely be seeing this bed and breakfast again!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank lindseynben
Reviewed 29 December 2012

My husband and I took a B&B tour of VA for our honeymoon. Afton Mtn was BY FAR the best choice we made on our little get away. Dan and Orquida were most welcoming and friendly when we arrived and we settled right in. The first morning Orquida made apple cinnamon waffles; which was the best thing I had every eaten. Right up until the next morning when we had baked french toast. HOLY CANOLI!!! I should have eaten seconds. :) Dan and Orquida you guys are great! Thank you so much for welcoming us into your lovely home. Mark and Jackie

Room Tip: We stayed in the Looking Glass Room. It was beautiful and very cozy.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Afton
Best Western Plus Waynesboro Inn & Suites Conference Center
The Inn at Sugar Hollow Farm
The Mark Addy
The Mark Addy
#1 of 2 in Nellysford

Been to Afton Mountain Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!