Afton Mountain Bed & Breakfast
TripAdvisor
All reviewshomemade cookieslooking glassbed and breakfastjefferson roombreakfast was deliciousmornington roomwonderful hostslocal sausagenelson countyeach morningsatellite radiothought of everythingfront porchceiling fanperfect locationstayed nightsfrittata
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Dan and Orquida are wonderful hosts, and they provide an exceptional experience. They make it a point to use their guests' first names, which is a really nice touch and helps to make everyone feel more welcome and comfortable. They provide in-room snacks as well as freshly baked cookies, coffee, teas, soft drinks, and even chocolates for guests in various locations throughout the house. Their breakfasts are outstanding—one of the very best breakfast experiences I have ever had in many, many years of staying in B&Bs all over the place.

Our room (the Goodwin) was immaculately clean and very comfortable. We were very pleased to find that there was not a television; we find that it further enhances relaxation, but make note if you require a TV on vacation.

They provide a plethora of local information at the B&B, and it is convenient to a number of vineyards, restaurants, and scenic places.

We would definitely stay there again if we were ever back in Afton. Very well done, Afton Mountain!

Room Tip: Given the size and location of the B&B, I would imagine that all of the rooms are similar in terms of quality. All things being equal, though, I might steer away from the Jefferson Room only because the water cooler is right outside its door, and depending upon the amount of traffic the water cooler receives, it might serve as a distraction to guests in there.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2013

My husband and I were taking a regional roadtrip in mid-May 2013 through N. Carolina, Virginia, S. Carolina and Georgia and stayed here for one night. The area is a beautiful backdrop to this comfortable, quiet, restful home and the very personable innkeepers. We made a trip to Charlottesville and Monticello while there, as well as sampled some local brew pub food and grog. The only regret we had was that we couldn't stay longer! We hope to be back again and to explore more of the wineries, breweries, Blue Ridge mountains and historical attractions the area has to offer. Definitely a great affordable place to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms seem equally restful and comfortable.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Our stay at Afton Mountain B & B was a welcome respite for us aided by the gracious and thoughtful innkeepers, Dan & Orquida. Our room, The Shenandoah, was clean and comfortable. The bedlinens and towels were first rate. The breakfasts were delicious and, when possible, prepared with locally produced ingredients. Hope you are served the local sausage! The B & B might be a Victorian structure but the rooms are equipped with satellite radio and the Internet is available for daytrip planning. The location is close to Charlottesville, with all its attractions. In addition, the rural location is also close to micro-breweries, wineries, restaurants, coffee shops, hiking, and scenic mountain drives. As a result the guests can be close to whatever interest they might have. When we return to the area we definitely will also return to Afton Mountain.

Room Tip: The Shenandoah is on the first floor while the balance of the rooms are on the second floor. The result of staying in The Shenandoah is easy access to the dining room in the morning and no stair climbing with your bags upon arrival and departure. You do have to climb the stairs in the morning to get your early morning coffee but personally this was not a problem.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelerbobarch
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I was Lucky enough to discover this diamond back in 2003, ten years ago, and loved it so much I honestly have never even bothered to try another B&B in the area. I have gone back more times to the Afton Mountain Bed and Breakfast than I can count and have enjoyed every luxurious restful weekend as much as the first.

Thank you, Dan and Orquida, for creating such a rare and wonderful oasis...looking forward to another visit very soon <3
Elizabeth Adams

p.s. TripAdvisor only gave me one option regarding "when I traveled" so I had to pick one month, which I did in order to submit the review, but I've been here many times. Also, I checked "excellent" for fitness center below-- there is no fitness center, but there is a gorgeous pool on the premises that suffices *beautifully*!

Room Tip: My favorite is the Mornington Room, but you really can't go wrong with any choice.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Very convenient location between Charlotte VA and Highway 81. Lovely old house with charming decor and polite innkeepers. Excellent breakfast of croissant French toast with organic strawberries and locally made sausage. We had originally made res. for 2 rms, but only needed one, and the innkeepers kindly cancelled one 2 days ahead of time with no penalty.

Room Tip: All rooms looked nice. View them online.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family