“A Rural Getaway in Virginia”

Afton Mountain Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 6 Afton B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Looking for a country getaway at a historic home managed by great hosts? Afton Mountain B&B fits the bill. We stayed two nights and greeted each morning with hot coffee outside our room, followed by a delicious breakfast. In room snacks and easy access to homemade cookies and beverages are a nice touch. Orquida always acknowledged us by our first names which was a special effort on her part. The location of the B&B is perfect for visiting the many wineries, breweries and historic sites in Albemarle and Nelson counties.

Room Tip: Most rooms are on the second floor. Due to the age of the home AC is from window units which can be...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelguys221

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Stayed at the Afton Mountain B&B for one night and wished we'd stayed longer - this place is a gem. I'd give it five stars for the incredibly good and abundant home-made-to-order breakfast alone, but then throw in the afternoon homemade cookies and I've run out of stars. It's also clean as a whistle, full of character, good value for the money, porches with rocking chairs upstairs and down - I just loved it. It's about a 15-20 minute drive from Waynesboro and the southern end of Shenandoah National Park, on a moderately busy country (2-lane) highway - but it's quite quiet at night, even sitting outside on one of the porches (which I did at length to watch the fireflies :)

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cal o
Reviewed 5 July 2013

My husband and I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Afton B & B and boy, was it a treat! The hosts were friendly, informative, and extremely helpful. The inn was clean, comfortable, and had lots of extras to make the getaway extra special. LOVE those homemade chocolate chip cookies! I highly recommend booking a Saturday Brewery excursion, ask for Ernie--sweet, towncar driver, who goes the extra mile for his clients. Much to see---Monticello, Ashlawn Highland, downtown Charlottesville, breweries, wineries, and don't forget the new cidery. I am already nagging my husband to book another trip! Thanks for an amazing weekend!

Room Tip: The Mornington room with the whirlpool is worth it!
1  Thank Stacey M
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Dan and Orquida are wonderful hosts, and they provide an exceptional experience. They make it a point to use their guests' first names, which is a really nice touch and helps to make everyone feel more welcome and comfortable. They provide in-room snacks as well as freshly baked cookies, coffee, teas, soft drinks, and even chocolates for guests in various locations throughout the house. Their breakfasts are outstanding—one of the very best breakfast experiences I have ever had in many, many years of staying in B&Bs all over the place.

Our room (the Goodwin) was immaculately clean and very comfortable. We were very pleased to find that there was not a television; we find that it further enhances relaxation, but make note if you require a TV on vacation.

They provide a plethora of local information at the B&B, and it is convenient to a number of vineyards, restaurants, and scenic places.

We would definitely stay there again if we were ever back in Afton. Very well done, Afton Mountain!

Room Tip: Given the size and location of the B&B, I would imagine that all of the rooms are similar in ter...
Reviewed 18 June 2013

My husband and I were taking a regional roadtrip in mid-May 2013 through N. Carolina, Virginia, S. Carolina and Georgia and stayed here for one night. The area is a beautiful backdrop to this comfortable, quiet, restful home and the very personable innkeepers. We made a trip to Charlottesville and Monticello while there, as well as sampled some local brew pub food and grog. The only regret we had was that we couldn't stay longer! We hope to be back again and to explore more of the wineries, breweries, Blue Ridge mountains and historical attractions the area has to offer. Definitely a great affordable place to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms seem equally restful and comfortable.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Our stay at Afton Mountain B & B was a welcome respite for us aided by the gracious and thoughtful innkeepers, Dan & Orquida. Our room, The Shenandoah, was clean and comfortable. The bedlinens and towels were first rate. The breakfasts were delicious and, when possible, prepared with locally produced ingredients. Hope you are served the local sausage! The B & B might be a Victorian structure but the rooms are equipped with satellite radio and the Internet is available for daytrip planning. The location is close to Charlottesville, with all its attractions. In addition, the rural location is also close to micro-breweries, wineries, restaurants, coffee shops, hiking, and scenic mountain drives. As a result the guests can be close to whatever interest they might have. When we return to the area we definitely will also return to Afton Mountain.

Room Tip: The Shenandoah is on the first floor while the balance of the rooms are on the second floor. The re...
1  Thank travelerbobarch
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I was Lucky enough to discover this diamond back in 2003, ten years ago, and loved it so much I honestly have never even bothered to try another B&B in the area. I have gone back more times to the Afton Mountain Bed and Breakfast than I can count and have enjoyed every luxurious restful weekend as much as the first.

Thank you, Dan and Orquida, for creating such a rare and wonderful oasis...looking forward to another visit very soon <3
Elizabeth Adams

p.s. TripAdvisor only gave me one option regarding "when I traveled" so I had to pick one month, which I did in order to submit the review, but I've been here many times. Also, I checked "excellent" for fitness center below-- there is no fitness center, but there is a gorgeous pool on the premises that suffices *beautifully*!

Room Tip: My favorite is the Mornington Room, but you really can't go wrong with any choice.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Afton
Best Western Plus Waynesboro Inn & Suites Conference Center
#1 of 2 in Nellysford
Iris Inn
Iris Inn
#1 of 3 in Waynesboro

Been to Afton Mountain Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!