“If I'm in the area again, will return”

Fontaine Caffe & Creperie
Ranked #63 of 757 Restaurants in Alexandria
Price range: US$6 - US$17
Cuisines: French, Wine Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: Join us for lunch, dinner, weekend brunch, or for Thursday French movie night. Fontaine is locally owned and operated causal European style restaurant is located in the heart of Old Town, Alexandria. Fontaine Caffe & Creperie serves Steak Frites, Mussels, Pates, Roasted Trout, Cheese, Vegetarian dishes, authentic savory and sweet French crepes paired with French Cidres in a casual European restaurant setting. Our carefully crafted seasonal menu, extensive craft beer and boutique wine selection, friendly service, and elegant, yet cozy, atmosphere makes Fontaine restaurant the perfect place to rendezvous with old friends and meet new ones.
GA
“If I'm in the area again, will return”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Visiting a friend in DC and we came to Alexandria for brunch and little shopping at some of their fabulous boutiques. We chose Fontaine and were very pleased. We had the savory crepes as we were going to have something sweet elsewhere. I had the Farmer’s Market (Sautéed Zucchini, fresh spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, and Feta cheese) and Normandy Royale for my cocktail. My friend had the Norwegian (Cold Smoked Salmon, caramelized onions with Cream fraîche) and Kir Royale cocktail. The crepes come w/ side salads with red wine mustard olive oil vinaigrette. Every thing was delicious. The food, service, drinks, (and weather) was great. Yes, it deserves a return visit so we may get the sweet crepes next time.

• Visited June 2014

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1,393 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 3,904 helpful votes
“I love this place!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Every time I go to this place, I find more reasons to love it. Friendly service, unending charm, amazing food, and free movies on Thursdays! Give it a try for date night, an evening with the girls, or a special occasion.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank QuickWhitTravel
Virginia
“for a nice European change of pace”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I like this place for a little ambience on date night. The savory and sweet crepe options are creative and nicely proportioned (not too big). The quarters are smaller and cozy which again is nice, except when you're bringing the whole family. Based on a couple of trials I would probably not bring the younger kids during high volume hours.

Visited January 2014
“Way too overpriced Mother's Day ”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

We went for Mother's Day brunch. The choices were very limited like 5 or 6 options of salt gallettes or crepes and 5 or 6 sweet crepes. A mimosa or Bellini but we didn't drink so we chose the orange juice but still the price was the same $30 per person per 2 crepes!!!! That's way too much. The flavor is tasty but the sizes are small and Old town has too many choices to go so high. I wish I had known about this pre fix menu before we go there we spent almost $160 bucks for a very light lunch. We had dinner shortly after.

1 Thank Secondivan
Jumpin' all over the world
“Good food, surly service”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We decided to try this Creperie with friends and their kids during Alexandria restaurant week. The restaurant week website had a specific menu for the Creperie for the week, so we all figured out what we wanted in advance of going and were excited. Unfortunately, when we got there the menu was quite different, with only a few of the same items as on the online menu. When I asked about it I was told that they had the right to change the menu from what was on the website -- definitely not the kind of response I was expecting -- very defensive. I asked if we could have some of the items from the online menu as part of the restaurant week special and was told no.

We ultimately ordered from the menu available and the food was good. But the service continued to be rude and unwelcoming -- and, there were only a few tables eating, it wasn't busy.

In the future I might order crepes from here take-away, but I wouldn't recommend eating at the restaurant as they simply didn't appear to want us as patrons.

• Visited August 2013