“Lots of steps - sort of worth it”

George Washington Masonic National Memorial
Ranked #4 of 88 things to do in Alexandria
More attraction details
Owner description: A very visible tribute to George Washington stands on King Street in Alexandria, Virginia.
Brooklyn, Ohio
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Lots of steps - sort of worth it”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This place offers a $5 and a $8 tour - self-guided and guided. The guided tour gets access to the tower. I'm not sure how necessary tower access is however as the view from simply the front door of this place is pretty good in and of itself. The map given for the self-guided tour however could use some work so the guided tour may be good for just gathering cursory info on the place and it's history. Call before you go to make sure the entire space is open. When I went the basement was closed as an antique show was being set up. Then again, calling before you go may not be of any use as the front desk people didn't know the basement was closed. It wasn't till I paid and actually got downstairs that a worker told me I couldn't be there.

• Korean first
Columbus, Ohio
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Location of a wedding and wedding reception”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

It was a beautiful venue for the wedding, inside and out. Someone was directing people to the ceremony given the massive indoor space. It was elegant and historic. The views from outside were exquisite.

Alexandria, VA
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Definitely Worth a Visit!!”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I can't believe I have lived in Alexandria for as many years as I have and never been here!! Very interesting, lots of history. I had my 4yo with me and while he wasn't as interested in most of the displays, he did like the stairways, the theatre was nice/interesting to him as were sitting on the front steps and admiring the view of the *big city* below. Perfect for the pint size train enthusiasts as Amtrak is just across the street. Amazing what kids see we dont when looking at this panoramic view!! We didnt take the tour but are going to go back and take it so we can go up to the observation deck!!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“We visited back in 2009, was interesting and educational!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

This year we sadly didn't have time to go back inside, I suggest you do, it's very interesting!We did have an excellent view of the place from our hotel window!

New Jersey
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Interesting history”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We took the guided tour ($8) which included the tower exhibits & observation deck. Wasn't really expecting very much. I had always heard they were a very secretive group who felt morally & intellectually superior to others. Probably not that far off. But our guide (should've gotten her name) was great. Answered all questions and, believe me, our group had quite a few. The costumes upstairs were very interesting. We got lucky again with the weather. From the observation deck we could see the Capitol, the Washington Monument, and all the way down to the Potomac.
Would recommend.