“Minutes away from Washington Metro and a very prompt shuttle to and from Huntington Metro”

Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South
Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Rooms very comfortable, ask for a room on the back side of the hotel for extra quiet (avoids the hwy noise) and not next to an ice machine/elevator. Great little shuttle van service to the Huntington Metro, Metro takes about 30 minutes down to L'enfant Plaza Metro. Very nice self serve breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Mermaid_Julie-n-Dan

Reviewed 4 December 2011

Near Reagan Airport and free parking. Very convenient to Alexandria and Crystal City. Easy to get to. Nice staff, good accommodations, reasonable for a DC area hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
MickiHeineken, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2011

We appreciate you taking the time to write a comment about your recent stay at our hotel. I will pass your positive comments along to the staff. Please visit with us again when your travels bring you into the Alexandria area. If you are looking for something fun to do on New Year's Eve, check out our First Night Package! Great time for family fun.

Reviewed 27 November 2011

Just outside of Alexandria, less than 3 miles to DCA, free parking as opposed to the $20 or more to park at the other hotels closer in. They do have a park and fly option, room was clean and comfortable enough, just there to sleep. No food close, you are better off heading south for food instead of into Alex unless you want the old town experience. They also offer a shuttle, very good perk. I liked it enough to stay again next time.

Room Tip: Away from the main road is best, but no really bad rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
MickiHeineken, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I am very pleased to hear your comments on your experiences. I will pass along the nice comments to all of the staff to keep up the good work.

Please come and visit with us again when you return to the Alexandria area. We love having you as our guest.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

Stayed here 10/21/11 for 2 nights and was happy with the location. The price for this property, compared to the hotels right in old town, was very good. It was about $75 less than everything else. Parking was free, which is a money saver as well! The breakfast was the usual Hampton Inn menu, and the service staff was very friendly and kept the tables clean. After spending the day at Mount Vernon, this hotel was easily accesible and only 10-15 minutes away. We ended up not taking the metro, but there is a 24 hr a day shuttle that will also take you into Old Town. We took the shuttle to dinner twice and it was very quick. Also, there is a Safeway only 1-2 miles away which is great if you are travelling with kids and need some supplies. The only downside was the smallish room. I booked a suite, but later realized it was a "studio". The bed and the pull out were on opposite ends of the room, and when the couch was open, you couldn't get past it. It did have a nice kitchen area right by the door with a sink, fridge, microwave and a bunch of drawers,

Room Tip: The hotel is right on the highway, but we had a room facing away and it was a beautiful view! I'...
1  Thank quinn314

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We appreciate all comments, weather bad or good, so that we can improve our guest's experience.

I am very pleased to hear your comments on the cleanliness you experienced. I will pass along the nice comments to the housekeeping and front office departments.

Please come and visit with us again when you return to the Alexandria area.

Reviewed 23 October 2011

Stayed here with my family for a trip to Washington, DC. Hotels in the DC area are very expensive and I felt this one was more in our price range. I believed it to be in walking distance to a Metro stop when I made my reservations, but it definitely is not. We are a fit family but we would not attempt the traffic, hills, difficulty, etc. to walk the 1.5 miles. However, the hotel provides a shuttle on demand to the air port, Metro, and King Street Trolley stop. We had unlimited Metro passes and the trolley is free. The Metro obviously gets you to all places Washington and the King Street trolley has numerous stops at various shops and dining. We never waited on the shuttle, the drivers were courteous, and it made our journeys out more of an adventure for the kids. The breakfast was excellent, for a hotel breakfast, and the front desk staff were overly helpful. Would I have preferred to stay on Pennsylvania Avenue? ABSOLUTELY!! But knowing that price does matter would I stay here again? ABSOLUTELY! It was much better than anticipated!

2  Thank Lindy031

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. Your comments will be passed along to the team members. I am very happy you were pleased with hotel, staff and amenities. Please stay with us again when you travel this way.

Reviewed 18 October 2011

The biggest downfall with this hotel was its location. Right by the highway, no where near by to eat.

The staff was very friendly upon check in, very helpful later when we ordered dinner delivery. They had evening cookies at the front desk. Room was clean and comfy, nice big closet, but no safe. One of the smallest Hampton Inn rooms I've been in. It is obviously an older hotel, with little things like older elevators, carpet that needs to be replaced. Lots of FREE parking, which is nice when staying in Northern VA/DC area. Breakfast was wonderful! Nice choices, again friendly staff that keep everything well stocked and fresh. The shuttle to the metro runs 24/7 and we never had to wait more than about 5 minutes.

For the price in the area, it was a great hotel. But next time we will spend more and stay closer to Old Town.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments on your stay at our hotel. We appreciate all comments and will pass them along to the staff so they can keep up the good work. Our staff strives to make every guest's stay as pleasant and convenient as possible. Keep us in mind when traveling to Alexandria, we would love you as our guest again.

Reviewed 16 October 2011

I was attending a convention at the Gaylord National Resort in nearby National Harbor, Md., and the Hampton in National Harbor was booked, so since I was driving anyway I came here. $199 a night was within my company's budget but might be a bit much for this hotel. Having said that---if you are driving this may be an option for you. On busy US 1 and nothing walkable. There is a 24 hour a day shuttle to Old Town or Reagan National Airport, shuttle perhaps goes to other locations of which I am unaware. No charge for shuttle but of course you should tip. Free parking. No restaurant but 24 option of small shop where you can purchase frozen dinners, ice cream, a few things like that. Items cost a bit more than they would in grocery store but you're not being gouged either. Free breakfast in pleasant area, very clean, don't expect huge variety of options but it is food. Clean rooms, hallways, elevators. Front desk personnel pleasant. Usual cookies at check in not present and I did not notice them anytime during my stay so perhaps Hampton Inns don't do that anymore. Bathrooms appear to be recently renovated, beds comfortable, TVs older but nice range of channels, very good soundproofing in rooms. Microwave and mini fridge in room. A couple details continued to overlooked by housekeeping---for example, light that you would switch on when you came into the room was burned out when I came there and remained burned out the entire time I was there, housekeeping would have had to be in the dark when entering the room and would have to have noticed. Fridge only worked if at coldest temp and then froze everything and was loud, but in fairness I did not have time to report it to front desk management. Heat also a little iffy but it was early October so no big deal. Towels replaced when used but washcloths were not. Two computers each with a desktop printer located in 24 hr business center but one printer was out of toner. I did report the printer being out of toner promptly but it was 3 days before toner was replaced and that made for a problem if other computer was in use and you needed to print driving directions or whatever. Also some difficulties logging into certain sites from the business center computers but you can check email and get Google or Mapquest driving directions. This location is far removed from D.C. proper and not as nice as Hampton in National Harbor, but if you are driving and attending a conference in National Harbor and your company has a strict budget, and/or hotels in National Harbor are fully booked (which often happens), this may be a solid option for you. After all, if you're driving you have to pay for the parking in National Harbor anyway, and you're only four miles/one freeway exit away. Just continue to bring any minor issues to the attention of management promptly, some of which I did not take the time to do. Don't forget that there is a water taxi from Alexandria and National Harbor both to Georgetown, which may be another option for you weather permitting should you need to get to D.C. proper. And don't forget the free hotel shuttle to Old Town if you need to go to dinner. You can also get the Metro into D.C. from Old Town.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences at the hotel during your recent stay with us. I appreciate the honest and candid comments and will pass them along to the other staff members to we can improve on the little things. I am confused regarding the TV comments because we replaced all of our TVs in July to new flatpanel TVs and HD will be arriving here soon. I also love the channel options offered.

Visit with us again when traveling into the area.