“A whole lot better than I expected!!!!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South
Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
“A whole lot better than I expected!!!!”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

The place is great, very clean and very friendly staff. Definitely would stay again.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Friendly clean & comfortable. We made good use of their shuttle to metro, Alexandria, & Regan airport. All staff very helpful & cheerful.

Room Tip: Golf view room is nice. We were on top floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
MickiHeineken, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Thank you for such a great review - come back and visit with us again soon!
DeKalb, IL
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We chose this hotel for the price and the shuttle to the Metro. We tried to make the best of it since we were spending most of our time in Washington DC and not at the hotel, but in the end, we checked out after two nights instead of staying for three.

The hotel was very crowded, fully booked, but the front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful.

The breakfast area was very crowded and the "breakfast" that was offered left us hungry. The pool is outdoors and only open Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Twice when returning from DC, we waited for more than 30 minutes for the shuttle to the hotel (1.5 miles away). The first time was at 11 p.m. with our two kids after returning from a moonlight trolley tour of DC. The second time, we were waiting with two other families from the hotel for at least 20 minutes when another group of people got off the train and walked right up to and on to the shuttle that had just pulled up. The shuttle driver didn't say anything to them, and just told us that he would be right back for us, so we waited another 10 minutes.

The beds were doubles and not queens which was a little snug for our family of four. On our second night there, the people in the next room were watching their TV at full volume in the middle of the night which kept waking us up. I finally got back to sleep only to be awoken by the FIRE ALARM at 5:45 a.m. so we had to wait outside in our car with the heat on for 30 minutes while the fire department checked the building. That was the last straw. We checked out and spent our last night at the Holiday Inn in Manassas which was WONDERFUL.

Room Tip: Get a room in the back of the hotel. The road noise from the interstate in front is very loud.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank JOBrien1111
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We appreciate all comments, bad or good, so that we can improve our guest's experience. I will pass along your comments to the appropriate departments to work on improvement plans. As for the fire alarm, I do apologize for your experience. It seems that some one burnt toast in the toaster which caused it to go off and we must wait for the fire department to give us the all clear.

I do hope you will give us another change when you plan a trip to the area again.
Lake Worth, Florida
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I train advocates in effective state lobbying all over the US staying in many hotels. A bad hotel harms clients' impression of my business because they expect good hotels. HI&S Old Town South is one of the best for service, price, and positive impression upon my clients. Staff support is excellent and sleeping rooms, and conference rooms are good quality. And their several conference rooms accommodate my seminars whether registrations are many or few. Their "on-the-outskirts" of DC location is ameliorated by their on-demand shuttle to Alexandria, DCA, and the Metro. I use them exclusively when in DC because they deliver the product I need for my business. They don't have room service, but I don't see how to have an N/A on the evaluations below.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your experiences at our hotel. We love having meetings and social events in our meeting and banquet rooms. Our largest banquet room can accommodate up to 170 people in a banquet style setup so we are perfect for any size group. Can't wait to have your event with us again.
Florida
Reviewed 27 March 2012

First of all, beware of the temptation to purchase advance reservations because the room rates are seemingly too good to pass up. It's one thing if you've been to this hotel before and were satisfied with the stay, it’s another to have never stayed here and find out that it’s a big disappointed and then not be able to cancel your reservation or get your money back because you got suckered into "the deal". Even as a Hilton Diamond member, which usually affords one some perks when dealing with hotels, couldn't get me out of this obligation. Read the fine print of the advance reservation purchase agreement or accept your lumps when you end up with buyer’s remorse like me. I would gather that Hilton offers these "specials" to those hotels that are harder to fill because believe me they don't have to offer them at the Hilton brand hotels that are newer or newly renovated.

I am a business traveler and I am a Hilton Diamond member. I accidently purchased advanced reservations at this hotel because of the price and because I thought the hotel I selected was a HI&S that I had stayed at previously -which was actually the HI&S Mt. Vernon/Belvoir, Alexandria South about 7 miles SW of this hotel.

As a business traveler for the past 5 years I have stayed in a variety of Hilton brand hotels but mostly Hampton Inns (HI's), Hampton Inn & Suites (HI&S), Hilton Garden Inn's (HGI's), Embassy Suites, and Hilton's. Hilton, like Marriott, has a list of differnt brands under its name sake and are tier-structured based on a standard variety of choices and amenities that the hotel offers. I listed the above from the lowest to highest tiered chains -although Embassy Suites are by- far my favorite. There has been a burst of new Hilton hotel construction and renovation of older Hilton brand hotels in the past 5-10 years so I have had the pleasure and some displeasure of staying at new HI&S hotels and unfortunately this hotel, which is obviously in need of a major room lift. Right now the lobby is undergoing a renovation and as much as I like entering a HI&S with the new modern clean style look, I would much prefer the money be spent on the rooms where it is definitely needed here.

I stayed in room 217 and the first thing I noticed was the old HI&S decor. It looked worn and outdated compared to the new HI&S standards. Most new and renovated hotel rooms have the room temperature controls via a thermostat on the wall. This room still has the push-button and dial controls on the AC unit mounted below the window.

Looking at the walls and ceilings you notice signs of damage that had been covered up with spackle or popcorn ceiling spray. There are old wall and ceiling outlets and switches that had been removed and covered with blank panels. Cigarette burns in the carpet or places where the carpet has bunched together.

Most new and renovated HI&S rooms have the dial-adjustable or memory foam mattress' on the beds. This room still had an old box spring and mattress set. You could actually feel the springs crinkle underneath you as you shift on the mattress. In fact, the mattress springs felt worn out and seemed to slope to one edge of the bed.

The furniture and bed linens, with the exception of the duvet, looked outdated compared to new and renovated HI&S's I have stayed at. The wall outlet cover nearest the desk was broken off and hanging by the power cord of the desk lamp that was plugged in and I experienced an electrical short when I moved the desk over to retrieve the trash can. There was only one phone in the room on the coffee table between the two queen size beds. Most of the newer hotels have another phone on the work desk.

Another pet peeve I have of most Hilton hotels is the hotel provided high speed Internet service and this hotel was no exception. It is so slow that I had to use my corporate aircard plugged into my laptop to get better service. An aircard uses the cell phone towers for Internet connectivity was almost 3 x faster than the Internet service the hotel provides.

Most newer Hilton hotels provide wired and wireless connection choices, my room at this HI&S only has wireless. I used SpeedTest.net and SpeakEasy.net to test the speed connection in my room and I got a measly .5Mbps or 512Kbps -which in this day and age is the equivalent to a dial up connection. As a business traveler I rely on the Internet to reach back to my corporate network through a VPN to do email, download presentations, documentation, and files necessary to do my job and at these paltry connection speeds I might as well not have any Internet service provided by the hotel. I would rather pay for a substantial connection then use what the hotel provides for free.

Unfortunately, this is problematic across most Hilton brand hotels. Most hotels purchase an already undersized Internet connection from an Internet Service Provider and then that bandwidth has to be shared amongst the number of rooms the hotel has. On top of that, to keep users from hogging bandwidth from others they put caps on the download speeds to each room.

If the Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South says they’ve recently renovated the rooms, then they must be talking only about the bathroom which does resemble the same style and décor of newer HI&S’s with marbled sink basin and counters, tiled floors and bathtub/shower.

Unlike Embassy Suites and Hilton Garden Inns which have cook-to-order full kitchens for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, HI&S’s serve only breakfast and it usually consists of the usual continental breakfast fan fare of dried cereals, juices, and fruits but they also have waffle irons to make your own waffles, some kind of processed egg product, bacon, and sausage. It also serves muffins, bagels, toast, and a small selection of yogurts.

I highly recommend that if you want to stay in the Alexandria area that you stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites Mt. Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria about 7 miles up the road.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel. Try to get into the Hampton Inn & Suites Mt Vernon/Belvoir-Alexandria...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank stsabrmc
We appreciate your comments on your recent stay at our hotel. The advanced purchase discount program you booked your reservation through does not allow hotels to cancel or change reservations and this is the case with all Hilton Hotels. We are currently renovating our lobby and it will be complete very soon and pictures will be posted once it is done. In regards to your comments on our bedding, we have the same beds as in all Hampton hotels. They are "Hampton Bed by Serta". The mattress type you described is used by the Hilton Garden Inn hotels.

The entire hotel offers wireless internet service with the studio suites and one floor of the standard rooms offering both. If we know someone requires a wired connection, we surely try to accommodate them.

Our hotel offers many services and anemities that sets us apart from others such as our 24 hour shuttle service to Reagan National Airport, Historic Old Town Alexandria and Huntington Metro Station.

I hope you will consider giving us another chance when you travel to the Alexandria area.
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Tough to find entrance at night even with GPS. Large breakfast area and rooms clean and comfortable.

• Stayed February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our hotel and I hope you will consider us on any return trips you have.
Houston
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Straightforward hotel with no surprises. There's nothing to complain about. Here's what we liked the most:

1) Extremely Convenient Location: A simple drive to DCA (Reagan National Airport), Old Town Alexandria, National Harbor and anything else on the beltway. Even the most directionally challenged won't get lost.

2) Clean: After searching the net for a clean, reliable hotel in National Harbor, I booked here instead. I wasn't disappointed.

3) Spacious well lit parking surrounds the hotel so there are no long walks to the car.

4) Rooms: We booked a double with fold out couch and it was spacious spacious spacious.

5) Kitchen: A small kitchenette was stocked with paper towels. The refrigerater got cool, not cold. We would have appreciated a small freezer in the refrigerator for our ice cream!

6) Well built and Quiet. Even though the hotel was packed, we felt like we were the only ones staying there. The rooms are well insulated and quiet. There hotel is bounded by a parking lot and beyond that a golf course, a body of water, and highways -- it's extremely quiet inside and out.

7) Beds: Like sleeping on a cloud. Sheets very very soft.

8) Closet: For once, plenty of closet space with a double wide closet with two hanging racks and shelves.

Thank you.

Room Tip: Even though our room was directly across from the elevator, it was still quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank LaVida
Thank you very much for all the nice comments on your stay at our hotel. We strive to make all of our guests happy and comfortable and feedback from our guests helps us in working towards our goals. I will forward your comments to the rest of the staff and please stay with us again when returning to the area.