Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South
Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
East Amherst, New York, United States
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

I can't say enough about this hotel! We had a family group of 7 stay in three rooms this past week. The breakfast, free shuttle, rooms, front desk, all great. It is perfect for traveling into DC because they take you to the metro 24hrs a/day! The price for what we received was also fabulous. I would recommend this hotel and I'm very picky.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Karen W
MickiHeineken, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
It was very nice to read about your stay at our hotel. We will share your comments with the rest of the staff to let them know they are doing a great job. Please visit with us again. New pictures of our wonderful lobby will be posted soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Turkish first
Groningen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

Stayed 2 nights in May 2012. Very friendly staff. Had freshly baked cookies on the counter which were sooooooo good! People actually came down again and asked for another one :-). Nice relaxing (free) breakfast room. Loved the waffles you can make yourself. Free shuttle service to Huntington Metro Station blue line (so not King Street yellow line, so in order to go to Smithsonian you do have to transfer but with the sub it's not that bad), King Street City Hall and Ronald Reagan Airport. Shuttle runs on request at the reception. Had to wait 5-10 minutes tops. Drivers are very well informed, easy to talk to and full with information about the area. Since it's on request, for the return to the hotel you do have to call them. They have business cards at the reception and in the car. However being from Holland, I didn't feel like it to make an expensive call over here. Driver advised me to let the restaurant call, and yes no problem! Second day we had our trip to DC. When returning to Hunting Station we were lucky to see the shuttle alreay been pulled over, so we could hop right on. Otherwise we would have used a pay phone I think.

I found the beds a bit less since the mattresses are not firm enough for me. I'm not a big person at all but like a firm mattress to support my back. But rest was good. Was not bothered by any highway noises.

Was very happy to stay here. After reading a lot of reviews on Tripadvisor on hotels in DC, I feld kinda anctious to stay in DC itself. Mostly about the safety issues. This was a good choice since DC is easy to reach due to the free shuttle and then the subway. Comfortable hotel where you feel easy at home.

Overall: good service, free breakfast, free WIFI and free shuttle.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mijora K
Thank you very much for all the nice comments on your stay at our hotel. We strive to make all of our guests happy and comfortable and feedback from our guests helps us in working towards our goals. I will forward your comments to the rest of the staff and please stay with us again when returning to the area.

If you return to the area, please stay with us again and enjoy our new lobby.
Spokane, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

I chose this hotel because of its proximity to a business event I am attending and I have stayed at several Hamptons and other Hilton properties in the past. So I knew what to expect from a Hampton.

First off, just parking there is very confusing since you can't make a U-turn into the property. At least its free parking which is not common for the region.

Upon checking in I looked at the rate card they gave me and I thought they made a mistake on my rate ($199). So I spoke to the front desk guy (Emmanuel) and he promptly raised the rate by $20 and spoke in a very condescending tone (something consistent with him). So I said the original rate was fine - not much choice in this case.

The room was fine and the TV has nearly every channel. The bed was comfortable and the environment was very quiet even though its close to a major road. This is why they get 2 stars instead of just 1.

I went to the workout room and even though it was spacious, it was very warm. I called the front desk since the thermostat was not functioning and the the water bottle was empty. The front desk guy (same guy as before) again responded in a condescending tone but at least sent someone promptly to with a new water bottle and to look at the thermostat (which in the end was never fixed). This maintenance guy was also rude when he thought I was just some idiot who didn't know how to work a thermostat - until he couldn't get it work.

When I got back to my room on day 2 the floor was obviously not vacuumed since there were noticeable hairs which were definitely not mine on the floor.

The final issue was when I went to the pool and was told I can't swim but it was ok for people to go out there and smoke. I was told this was because there is no lifeguard. As a 39 year old man, I don't need a lifeguard for a 5 ft pool - and I have NEVER seen on at a Hampton property in my life.

Will I stay here again - no.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with our hotel. We appreciate all comments - both the good and the bad - so we can improve on our guest's experience. We have shared your comments with the rest of the staff so they may be addressed.

As for the pool, Fairfax County law requires us to have a licensed lifeguard on duty and it offically opens Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day Weekend. We do not allow people in that area to smoke, we have areas outside where guests can go to do that.

Please consider our hotel again when your traveles bring you back to the Alexandria area.
Caldwell, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

We have stayed at many Hampton Inns because they are generally a good deal, clean and you get breakfast. That is the way this one was, but it seemed to be an older hotel and although it was clean, I felt like this hotel was just "ok." We used the free transportation to the metro station, but kind of ran into a little problem because the driver didn't tell us all the information we needed to be picked up again. The parking is free, which is a plus compared to most D.C. hotels. Breakfast was adequate, but nothing special. The desk seemed busy because some had not showed up for work, but it showed. I think they tried, and none of this would prevent me from staying there again, but I might also look around to see what else was available.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MickiHeineken, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with our hotel. We have just finished up our renovation project to our Lobby, Breakfast Area and Banquet Rooms. The completed project has given the hotel a fresh new look and we have received many positive comments from our guests. Photos will be posted soon.

Your comments regarding the shuttle pick up has been discussed and we have come up with a resolution which is being put into place immediately.

Again, thank you for your comments and I hope you will stay with us again when your travels bring you to the Alexandria area.
pittsburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

It was a challenge to get to the hotel as our Garmin was not cooperating. There were a few decisive maneuvers required to get into the property. There is a nice free parking lot, which is a big saving for this area.

The gentleman who checked us in was very efficient and helpful despite being shorthanded.The lobby was quite busy

We were starving when we got to the hotel and there are no dining options within walking distance. There is a free shuttle to Old Town but it is not very quick.

There are several delivery options available (menus at the front desk) and we ordered mediterranean food from the Balkan Grill. Highly recommended -excellent.

This hotel has a little kiosk (Suite Store) that sells a wide variety of reasonably priced snacks that tided us over until the food arrived.

The room was a very nice king suite with a wet bar and couch/seating area. They have a clever swivel on the TV so you can swing it towards the couch area or towards the bed.

As an Honors gold member, I was expecting an arrival snack in the room, but there wasn't one. (Remember, we were starving.)

There were very few towels in the room.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

I am sorry there was not a snack in your room upon arrival. Hilton Honor Members who are Gold and Diamond status have the option of the in room snack upon arrival or 250 bonus points. Please check your profile to ensure your preference is appropriately selected.

Please visit us again on your next return trip to Alexandria, VA.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

First, this is a typical full-service Hampton property. Service was friendly, but not overly accommodating. Breakfast was filling and fresh, but the absence of a meat product didn't fare too well with my boyfriend. Hot plates were Western omelettes (which were surprisingly good) and fried potatoes, and then you had the choice of other continental delights (fresh fruit, oatmeal, bagels, toast cereal, etc.) Attendant was very polite. Room was very spacious, nice HDTV, microwave and refrigerator, and a lounge chair with an ottoman. Our room faced the golf course, but it would have been nice to actually see it (we were on a low floor). Very little noise from the hallways. Elevator is s...l...o...w. Exercise room wasn't big, but it had a few treadmills and some weights from what I could see. Pool was closed as it is still considered off-season in Va. Didn't use the business center, but the internet in the room was sporadic. I inquired if the hotel's shuttle would take us to dinner in Old Town (because a previous reviewer had received the same service), and was disappointed to be told that it only goes to DCA and the Metro station. I didn't argue. All in all, good stay at a nice hotel.

Room Tip: High floor facing the golf course.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank butta1898
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your most recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate all comments and will pass them along to all the staff members to encourage excellent guest service and to improve in areas we may have missed.

Our 24 hour shuttle service goes to Historic Old Town Alexandria, Huntington Metro Station and Reagan National Airport. We have had new employees recently and we will use your comments as a training tool.

Please visit us again when your travels bring you to Alexandria, VA. The lobby renovation has been completed and it turned out fabulous. Photos will be posted soon.
Vineland, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband choose this hotel because of its proximity to where he needed to be for work. It was so close to the highway that anywhere in the DC area he needed to be was within a 30 minute drive. I loved that they were able to drop me off in Old Town while he was working. I only waited a few minutes at the hotel for the van. The metro station is a short ride (by van or car). You can get to anyplace on the metro line. It took us about 30 minutes(including transferring trains on a Sunday with track work going on) to get to the Smithsonian. We had a king suite(we originally booked a regular room, but since they were not fully booked we asked for an upgrade). The room was spacious and very clean. It faced the highway and was a little noisy, but I quickly got used to it. It didn't bother me and I am a light sleeper. We had placed the "Do Not Distrub Sign" on the door for the day and housekeeping left us a bag with clean towels and cups. That was a really nice surprise. The breakfast room was clean and it was well stocked. It was not very crowded. The staff was very nice and very helpful. I look forward to staying here again.

Room Tip: If you don't get use to noise easily, ask for a golf view. It doesn't hurt to ask for an upg...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank robinmichele
Thank you for your positive comments on your recent stay at our hotel. We will discuss your comments with our staff to keep up the good work.

Our renovation project to our Lobby, Breakfast Area and Banquet Rooms have been recently completed. Please come back and visit with us on your next trip.