“Decent stay but VERY NOISY, dont expect to sleep!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South
Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Our stay was pleasant other than we didn't sleep for much of the night due to the location of the hotel. I don't think any other location in the building would have been quieter. Unfortunately for the hotel, unless they make their rooms sound proof, the noise of the roads/highways nearby really echo into the room. We were kept awake most of the night by sirens, traffic and other outside road noises.
The staff was very helpful and friendly. Their breakfast area was big.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room away from the highway...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank SpartanGirl3
MickiHeineken, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with a great experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the amount of noise that is audible from outside of the hotel. Your comments will help us to correct these issues. We hope you will consider staying with us the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 7 October 2012

I arrived at about 8 pm to check in because I wanted to have the hotel ready for my boyfriend so when he got off work, he could rest. When I gave them my information, they pulled up my reservation and then asked to see my credit card. I didn't have my credit card, my boyfriend did. And I tried explaining this to the front desk, but they wouldn't let me check in. I don't understand; I had my state ID, as well as my confirmation page that I recieved when I made the reservation. And they already charged my credit card for a full amount of my (one night) stay. They showed no sympathy and the what-I-assumed-to-be manager even raised his voice at me and got smart to the point where I was in tears because I had already had a bad day. I had to wait in the hotel lobby for 3 hours until my boyfriend arrived.
I never write bad reviews because I work in guest services and I understand that a bad experience doesn't always mean a bad business. But in this case, I was really surprised and upset.
When I finally could check in a few hours later, the rooms were big and spacious, the bathroom was clean, the tv was big and clear, and the bed was nice and soft. There were a few stains on the floor and even though I reserved a "golf course view" room, I opened the window to stare at the back parking lot and a lot of trees.... Even though we were on the top floor. The breakfast was typical hampton style (which i always enjoy and it does te job). I always stay at Hamptons and I know what to expect but my check in was the worst I've ever experienced.
I will continue to stay at Hamptons around the country, but NEVER again at this particular one.
If I was asked for a recommendation, I'd say "That one was good, but just travel down the highway a little more to go to the Hampton Mt. Vernon."

• Stayed: October 2012
MickiHeineken, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

I would like to thank you for selecting our Hampton Inn for your recent visit. I am sorry for the check in issue that you experienced and I am looking into the situation you reported. If the reservation was under your boyfriend's name, we cannot check someone into another reservation without prior approval from the reservation holder for security reasons.

I am glad you found the amenities of the hotel to your liking and we do try to please all of our guests. Please give us another opportunity to make you happy when you find the need to stay in a hotel in the Alexandria area.

Reviewed 6 October 2012

I travel to the Alexandria area quite a bit for work. Lately I've been staying at the Hampton just off of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. As a runner I always look for places that are convenient to trails/roads. This hotel offers some great options. You can cross the foot bridge to Olde Town and run south towards Mount Vernon. Go under the WW Bridge and the trail takes you all the way along the river to DC. You can cross the bridge to run National Harbor area. The hotel is clean and staff is very nice. I do suggest getting a room on the back of the hotel if road noise bothers you.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for the nice comments regarding your stays at our hotel. I agree, the running options a very good here and I will pass along the comments to our staff. I hope you also like the new lobby we recently finished renovating. I think it turned out fantastic. See you on your next trip.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

Great location, we parked the car and spent three days touring DC by Metro, very relaxing trip. Rooms were quite good with great beds. Breakfast selection was good, this is important to me as I'm a diebetic and try to avoid too many carbs. Everyone was very helpful.

Room Tip: Shuttel service was great to Metro as well as to Old Town for dinner each night
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for all the nice comments on your stay at our hotel. We strive to make all of our guests happy and comfortable and feedback from our guests helps us in working towards our goals. I will forward your comments to the rest of the staff and please stay with us again when returning to the area. The shuttle does make traveling in the DC area much more pleasant.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

I must say, I can to this hotel not expecting much. I was there to see a football game and it was close enough to the stadium and to our friends who live just down the road. First off we were greeted very warmly and quickly, they even added my hilton honor points to my reservation with out me asking. The room was large and had a vew of the glof course. Bed was very comfy. Best part of stay was the free rides back and forth to Old Town for dinner and entertainment. Coffee maker handle broke and they replaced it with a new on within half an hour. Best part is I forgot to pack my new Jeans for the ride home. I call house keeping when I got home and they said they found my Jeans and sent them out to me the next day!! Great place and I will stay again! Thank you Yvone!!

Room Tip: Get the suite with a view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. I will pass along your comments to the staff and especially Yvonne. Our staff is what sets us apart from the rest. Come back and stay with us again!

Reviewed 22 September 2012

My wife and I recently stayed 6 nights at this hotel while touring the DC area. We chose it because it was a Hampton Inn, was near Alexandria and Mt. Vernon, had free parking, and had shuttle service to a Metro station. We have stayed at Hampton Inns across the USA. They rank high on our list of preferred hotels. This one was not a bad choice, but it disappointed. The front desk staff was not very friendly, there was a candy wrapper on the (vacuumed???) carpet when we arrived in our room, it took two calls to get attention to our running toilet (and then it was only partially fixed), used towels were removed but not replaced with clean ones the first day (and it took more than an hour after calling the front desk to get replacements), there was mildew on the shower ceiling and soiling along the edge of the shower surround, the easy chair fabric was dirty and the ottoman was disgustingly dirty.

We liked the location, the free parking, comfort of the bed, shuttle service to the Huntington Station of the Metro station, etc., although there was usually only one shuttle in service and it served Reagan airport and Old Town Alexandria in addition to the Metro, so we had to be very careful about timing our shuttle runs.

One big shout-out goes to Salima, one of the managers on duty. She was very friendly, and we spoke with her about the above issues when we checked out. She seemed to be genuinely interested and concerned, and I feel confident that she will follow up. She apologized for the problems we experienced and, although we had not asked for it, refunded one night's lodging.

In summary, this hotel has great potential, but management has some work to do to bring it up to the standards expected of a Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lyle123

Thank you for taking the time to notify us of our short comings. Salima did in fact follow up on the issues and we are working to tighten up to ensure every guest is completely satisfied. Please give us another opportunity to serve you when your travels bring you to the Alexandria area.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

We stayed for 2 nights this past weekend on a family trip to DC and were not disappointed. The AAA rate for our two doubles room with free breakfast, WIFI and parking (free parking is VERY rare) made this very affordable. The metro shuttle was also a great perk. We only used it twice as we drove to the metro on Saturday since it was free to park at the Metro on weekends. When we requested the shuttle on Friday evening to head into DC for dinner - the shuttle driver was out - but - one of the clerks behind the front desk appeared before us with keys saying he'd take us. I truly wish I remembered his name but unfortunately I do not. Thankfully our wait for a return shuttle later that evening was very quick despite being told 15-20 minutes - the shuttle arrived within 5. It was close to midnight and the kids were exhausted so that was a definite plus!!!

The room was very nice and clean. The beds were a tad soft for my liking and a little smaller than I had hoped - but - we had no problem sleeping. The AC worked great, especially in light of the humidity. Flat screen tv with lots of channels was good too.

Breakfast in the morning was a tad crowded and the lines for the waffles were long - i felt guilty making 2 waffles at a time - but with 2 kids - had no choice. The breakfast staff was great at filling/refilling the breakfast items. Normally not a fan of buffet scrambled eggs but preparing them with scallions gave lots of flavor. Seating was tough - had to wait for a table on both days - but not for too long.

Used the pool on our last morning before check out. Arrived shortly after 10 and the lifeguard it appeared had just gotten there. No towels were out when we got there-but he did go get a few for us right away. The pool's water testing had not been done on the pool as he was doing this as we were swimming. There were lots of bugs in the pool - which we just avoided. My son even commented to me about this - quite loudly as 7 year olds have no filter - and the lifeguard did not even attempt to clean the pool. Was still doing his testing as we left 30 minutes later.

Front desk workers were very friendly. When we first arrived, my husband and one son were parking the car while I ran in with my other son who had to use the bathroom. I didn't even have to ask where it was when (I believe his name was Emanuel) without hesitation saw the look in my son's eyes and told us where the bathroom was.

I had been concerned that the Metro might take long to get back and forth to DC - but it wasn't a problem at all - once we figured out how to buy fare cards.

Would definitely stay here again when returning to DC - but would probably get a suite next time.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank BrooklynMom_of_twins

I very glad you and your family selected our hotel for your trip to Washington. The shuttle is an amenities most of our guests use and it is very convenient for accessing the Metro and Old Town. I will pass along your comments to the rest of the staff and we are looking forward to having your family again as our guests.