“Satisfying stay near DC”

Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria Old Town Area South
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Prescott, Arizona
“Satisfying stay near DC”
Reviewed 21 April 2007

After deciding very late in the game that we would go to Washington DC for Spring Break, we managed to find the Hampton Inn in Alexandria for our stay.

First, the hotel is located right next to the ongoing beltway reconstruction in Alexandria, and the hotel itself is being expanded. To be honest, the hotel does not even look open from the highway, so much construction is going on. However, true to the prior reviews, you walk in and all of that melts away.

The staff was delightful, working their "magic" to check us in two hours early (quite a feat when they were fully booked AND checkin was already a reasonable 2pm). The hotel was obviously renovated in the past few years, and the rooms, although on the small side, were fresh and clean. The new Hampton "suite bed" (I think that's what they call them) are installed, but do be aware that they only have double beds (not queens) in the double rooms that run a bit smaller than the average double bed!

The rooms were VERY quiet...not even hall noise was noted or the sound of your neighbor turning on his shower...very impressive. Maid service was attentive and fast.

The continental "hot" breakfast includes just scrambled eggs to make it hot, but the 24/7 hot coffee/hot water for tea, etc. was very welcome. Loved the Hampton "Breakfast to Go" brownbag option.

This hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the Huntington Metro Station in Alexandria (end of the yellow line metro) and to and from Reagan Int'l Airport & Old Town Alexandria. Shuttle was on demand, and we never waited more than 5 minutes-very friendly drivers, too!

A metro ride into DC was about 30 minutes on the yellow line from Huntingdon to Navy/Archives (which lets you off one block from the Mall).

As stated before, the area is under heavy construction; you could not walk from this hotel to any sites, restaurants, etc. Either shuttle or your own vehicle --no walking options.

All-in-all, the stay was great for the price (about $179) and proximity to DC.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank kadelia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 March 2007

I cannot recommend this hotel enough. I was in DC from California for a law school competition and stayed here with my two team members in two rooms. I have to admit, we were REALLY scared when the Super Shuttle from the airport got close to the hotel so that we could see it off the freeway. There was construction EVERYWHERE. It looked like some kind of disaster zone. Construction is being done on the hotels and on all of the freeways surrounding it. I was in charge of researching and booking the hotel and my heart kind of sank when we first saw it, because I was sure it was going to be a mess.

We walked into the lobby and it was like another world. Bright, nice decor, sparkling, with fresh baked cookies waiting and the continental breakfast area right there. Really nice seating, breakfast bar area with all kinds of coffee.

Our rooms were fabulous. Super clean, comfortable beds, really quiet, despite the construction warfare outside.

The staff was AMAZING. I have rarely received such incredible service at a hotel. They were extremely helpful. The shuttle was ALWAYS available. I think the longest we had to wait at one point was less than 10 minutes. And the shuttle driver would watch for us. He would ask us, when he dropped us off, when we thought we would need him and that he would be ready for us. The people at the front desk, particularly Jade ( I think that was her name) were so accomodating and helpful. All we had to do was go up to them and ask them about a restaurant or a cab or something like that and they were on it, even calling cab companies for us. They gave us great recommendations and information about the area.

The breakfast was so good, and pretty impressive for free. I always think about continental breakfasts as pastry and toast and that's about it, maybe some fruit. This breakfast had eggs, sausage, doughnuts, bagels, muffins, fruit cereal, juices, toast. Everything I would want for breakfast.

I guess I'm gushing, but I feel the need. This place is wonderful and so worth the money (not as expensive as other hotels in the area). I would recommend this place over and over again to anyone going to DC.

Oh yeah, and real quick info about travel. The Metro is not within walking distance but the shuttle is always readily available and about 5 minutes to the Metro stop. Its only a couple stops on the Metro to get into DC and the Metro is REALLY easy to use and so convenient. DC is not far at all. About 9 miles to the Supreme Court I know. So I would recommend staying in Alexandria, at this hotel of course, and going into DC. Also, there is a cool street right nearby, King Street, that has a bunch of shops and restaurants and bars. Really fun.

STAY HERE! And thanks Hampton for such a great stay!

• Liked — Really nice, comfortable, clean rooms. Amazing staff. Good price.
  • Disliked — The construction around it, but they are just making the hotel better!
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
5 Thank legalblnd07
Rhode Island
Reviewed 19 January 2007

I stayed at this location because it appeared to be convenient off of Interstate 95 and it was at the plus half way point to my destination of Cary, NC. I found the hotel off of the highway easy enough but because of road work at and around the property the actual access to the hotel is tricky. Once I arrived all of my tension from driving and traffic subsided and I had a very relaxed evening. There is no restaurant on site but I ordered out for pizza which was delivered to me in the lobby by a very pleasant gentleman. The staff was also very pleasant and the accomodations were clean and fresh. The only problem I had was finding 95 south when I was leaving. You don't actually see the sign until you're on the ramp, unfortunately I was on the wrong ramp headed north back to DC.

• Liked — Clean and new.
  • Disliked — The road construction.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank Lmcintyre
Liberty, Missouri
Reviewed 7 August 2006

This was the hardest thing for me to decide...the hotel. I finally decided that Hampton Inn's are ususally a safe bet. This Hampton on Richmond Highway suited us fine. The people were always very helpful, expecially the gentleman who ran the shuttle in the mornings. We never waited more than 15 minutes for a shuttle to take us to the metro station. Which was fine for us because we were rarely on a tight schedule. The only thing I could see that would have made our stay easier was to have access to resturants. Without a car and relying on the metro we were very limited. Of course this was not Hampton's fault, just the location. Major road construction on Richmond Highway had no affect on us.

• Liked — shuttle service where ever we needed to go
  • Disliked — lack of eating places around
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
5 Thank Missourinative
Bloomington, IN
Reviewed 29 June 2006

We stayed at this Hampton Inn while we were in Alexandria for a friend's wedding. It was a perfect location for us as we had some wedding activities in Old Town and the wedding itself at the Collingwood Museum, the hotel was located conveniently between the 2. The only complaint I had about the hotel was that it was warm and muggy in the lobby area and elevators (but the weather this past weekend in Alexandria was also very warm and muggy). No complaints about the room, breakfast or anything else. We didn't use the pool. The shuttle service is a great feature of this hotel. The shuttle ran 24 hours and would drop you off in Old Town wherever you wanted to go (same with being picked up). I think the longest we had to wait for the shuttle was probably 10 minutes. There is road construction going on right in front of the hotel but there are signs for how to get to the hotel another way so that was no problem. Overall, this is a decent hotel and we would probably stay here again if we were headed to Alexandria.

7 Thank Scootie2