“Worst place/service even for the low price; avoid this place!!”
Review of Bragg Towers

Bragg Towers
Ranked #49 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
“Worst place/service even for the low price; avoid this place!!”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed here for the memorial weekend, we booked it online, they couldn't find our reservation, we had to call Expedia and they had to talk to the front desk to let us in (this issue took more than half an hour) during this time we asked to use rest room(was dying), they refused. This was at 4pm. ( check in time is supposed to be at 2pm). Very rude service, if it wasn't prepaid , we would have left . Location -it's almost almost impossible to find unless you are from that area - the bulett proof front desk says it all about the safety .The rooms are very old, very bad smell. The hallway is scary , very dirty carpet , terrible smell. We paid $80 +tax - not worth it , you can find a better place for the same price. Avoid this place , don't be fooled by the pictures.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Emenet B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Richmond
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This was a return trip after around 6 months. Six months ago the place was dark, rundown and depressing. I am in the area a few times a month and after serious problems during stays at both the close by Day's Inn and Comfort Inn I decided to give Bragg Towers another try. It was an excellent decision! They've brightened up the rooms and done some needed repairs so for under $70 (before taxes) it's an excellent value more money spent. For pretty much the same set-up I would have paid $25 more at Days Inn and,with some unneeded frills, $30 more at The Comfort Inn. For my money at Bragg Towers I got a squeaky clean room with a small kitchen set up. There was even a toaster, non-essential, but I like to start the day with a toasted bagel. The staff person on the desk was unfailingly friendly and helpful. There are no frills (okay, a toaster may be a frill) and I felt like I was back in my college dorm, but it is well worth the money. My only complaints are the dark parking lot and the front doors. I'm mildly handicapped with a pronounced limp and both doors leave me feeling unstable. Some sort of hand rail is badly needed for safety. I'll be back, probably frequently.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Marianne C
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Bragg Towers provides budget extended stay accommodations primarily for low income families and working individuals. The hotel is approximately five miles from the center of Alexandria, VA and convenient to 395. While there is bus service that runs into town, the metro is some distance away and staying is impractical without a car. The hotel is in a low income neighborhood, but most travelers would feel perfectly safe there. Bragg Towers offers tiny studios and much larger queen rooms. Each includes cable tv and a kitchenette. The queen rooms are also studios, but are 2 to 3 times larger with fold out couches, armchairs, etc. The rooms were very clean but have not been renovated for some time, and the carpets and furniture are well-worn. WiFi is provided and speeds were as high as 10mbps. WiFi did not work in all of the rooms (poor reception) and connections were sometimes erratic. There are no other amenities. Two of the three desk clerks I spoke with were very polite and helpful. The third was rude and abruptly hung up in the middle of a question. Overall, Bragg Towers is cost effective for longer stays (approximately $1600 per month), but not for a night or two ($70 plus per night). Hotwire, HotelsTonight, or any other last minute reseller will get you a much nicer hotel, in a better location, for about the same nightly rate.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank deorr
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Booked this place for one night via Priceline out of sheer desperation (toddler + power outage + 105 degree weather = desperation). I think we paid $60 (including tax).

Pros: For us, it located close to our home (and close to 395N), cheap, free parking, cold A/C and has a mini-kitchen (which, we didn't make use of but it was nice to have as an option).

Cons: Check-in (very slow -- no sense of urgency whatsoever) and pretty much everything else.

Our first floor room was clean (ish) and came with a queen size bed and a pull out couch. I wouldn't stay here again - this is definitely a 1* star, "only-if-you-absolutely-have-to" or are on a very limited budget type of room. The tub was dingy, the carpets reeked and the room (in general) was pretty gross looking.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Kjbzmommy
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We stayed 3 nights on the 2nd floor with no problems at all. The hotel reminds me of some of the places in New Orleans that I've stayed. Wifi only works in public areas(the lobby). We requested no maid service, reused our towels and brought extra pillows and blankets from home, were overall very comfortable there. The a/c was good. Fridge, microwave, stove and garbage disposal worked fine. The water heated amazingly fast, and I've never seen so many plug ins in a room. The smell in the hallway seemed to me to be spices that I'm not used to from residence cooking. There is an international market very close to the hotel. Absolutely plan to visit there if you have time. It's about 7 miles to the Franconia-Springfield metro station. We parked there every day for $4.50 and took the train into DC.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Lynn R
Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

The trip from the exterior to your room is a terrible experience from the buzzing in through a door for the receptionist sitting behind plexiglas to the original elevators without light up buttons. Once you have made it here, the worst is not over, the halls are stained completely over and the smell is almost unbearable. Once you struggle through the thick air, a little relief is given in the room where it is bearable but by no means nice. The thin walls are a nice touch that add in the screaming neighbors on and off throughout the night.

• Stayed May 2012
5 Thank Whompuscat
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Stayed there for a few days a few weeks ago. The one big con was the smell. It wrapped around you like a blanket. It smelled like mold and it was in the hallways and in my room. After awhile I got used to it but everytime I would go outside, it hit me again when I came in. It was really that bad. If you're sensitive to smells be forewarned this is not the place for you.
Other than that, it wasn't the Ritz, but liveable. The furniture was new looking and the bed ok comfy. Everything worked the way it should, tv, toilet, heat and a/c, etc. The room was large for one person, and the staff was more businesslike behind their bulletproof wall rather than friendly. I saw one bug, it looked like a tick but I'm not sure, in my bed. The comforter had white stains on it and the towels had tiny orange stains on it and were rough.
There is a plaza and a mall nearby, as well as some restaurants. I recommend to only go there by car, as there is a very sketchy neighborhood on the way to them full of gangster looking thugs that catcall to you if you're walking alone. In fact, I wouldn't recommend staying there alone at all. A big pro was the price, I looked around and I couldn't find any cheaper.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo