“Very good value for the area.”

Old Colony Inn Alexandria
Ranked #22 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The Old Colony room was basic, but updated with new furnishings and a very comfotable bed. The main amenity is the complimentary shuttle service is convenient in getting to local restaurants, Metro and airport; but it is available only to 9:00 p.m. The neighborhood seems safe, but is not well lit in Old Colony's vicinity. Overall, we believe the Trip Advisor rating is reflective of the very good value we received.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
There are newer reviews for Old Colony Inn Alexandria

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel in September of 2012 and was very pleased, so pleased that I went directly back to this hotel when I needed to stay in Alexandria in Sept of 2013. It is not the same. Apparently it is under new management. There were other small indications but it would have been okay except for a 3AM phone call on Sunday morning checking to see if I was in the hotel. There is NO excuse for a 3AM phone call especially when there were already charges on my bill for a refrigerator and candy bought from the store at the hotel. The front desk person who called offered to remove the refrigerator charge from the bill to make up for the 3AM call. When I returned home I called and requested the whole second night be removed from the bill since we were unable to get back to sleep and had only 4 hours sleep. When I called I asked to speak to the manager and was told she was not in. The next time I called I asked to speak to the manager and was told I was speaking to the manager. I swear it was the same voice I had spoken to earlier. I was offered $70 off of the bill which included removing the refrigerator charge. To date I have not seen the $70 off of my bill or a final bill. As near as I can tell I think the refrigerator charge was removed but not the additional $50. I seriously doubt management knows anything about what happened. This is not my first bad experience with a Best Western. I had started staying at Best Westerns again (I travel a lot) since my experience with Old Colony in 2012 but not anymore if I can help it and definitely never again at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AlisonT874
Shelby C, General Manager at Old Colony Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear AlisonT874,
Thank you so much for your information regarding your stay and about that 3AM phone call. I am deeply sorry about this and I am going to find out what happened that would cause a call at that time of the morning. I will also make sure you do get your refund. This is not the way we normally run our hotel and I hope you will come back and give us a second chance to show what good customer service we can provide.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

I was very pleased with the Old Colony Inn. The staff was helpful, and the room was comfortable. A shuttle was available for transportation, but being from the LA area, I perferred having my own car to explore Alexandria and the surrounding areas. I found this historic city very easy to learn, and the restaurants were wonderful - great seafood and wine. The variety of boutiques and their merchandise was a delight to explore.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 26 September 2013

... I had called the day before arrival to confirm and let them know my life was late and assure that all was well. I was told that all was in order however when I arrived they didn't have the correct room as reserved. I was not happy, but the next day the management made the best of a bad situation(a room had to be repaired so was not available) and adjusted my rate. That was a valid effort at solving the problem. I like this motel. Certainly older and dated but well run, quiet, clean, close to several service businesses and 2 blocks from bus to Metro. Only two stories but no elevator. I will try them again as I travel to DC several times a year.

Room Tip: Only two stories but no elevator.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We visited DC for four days and we stayed at the Best Western Old Colony Inn, and it was great! It's obviously not a five start hotel, but it's much better. They are great in price, the rooms are cozy but very clean. There's coffee available at all times, and the breakfast is great (completely free). They make you feel like it's home and it's in a great location. If you've never been to DC, you'll love Alexandria, the houses and apartments are beautiful.

The hotel offers complimentary shuttle services to the train station, king street, the airport, and it's upon request, and they're great at that. The drivers are extremely nice and it really feels likes you're just meant to be there. The station is a couple of minutes away and to get to the center of DC it takes around 10 minutes, take the yellow train and transfer if you want to get there faster. Also, make sure you land in the Reagan airport, we chose BWI by mistake... first time out there... obviously.

Great place, would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

So glad to hear that you had a good time here in Alexandria. It is a nice quite area but like you said still close to DC. Come back and stay at your home away from home anytime.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

We could not be happier with our stay at the Old Colony Inn. Clean, comfortable, quiet room and a great breakfast every morning. The kind, courteous staff made the stay more enjoyable. They all did an excellent job, from the front desk to the maintenance staff to the shuttle chauffeurs! Keep up the good work! Shuttle service to the Metro, Old Town, airport, any where you want to go. It is close to all the Old Town restaurants & shops, but it is just two blocks (easy walk) from TJ Stones Grill House & Tap Room, another great find during our vacation. It is located in a nice part of town, we felt safe even walking at night. We will definitely stay here again when we are in the DC area and will recommend it to our friends. Getting there is the hardest part. Coming up from 495, by the time you see it, you've missed the entrance. If you take 3 hard rights after you go by it, you will come down 2nd street right to the entrance.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Great rates,rooms, free breakfasts,and free parking in the heart of old town, Alexandria,VA. This is a really good deal BUT you will have to play 'hide and seek' to find it after you book and recheck your hotel reservation with them just before going there. This property gets high high marks for value. The biggest problem is that it is very difficult to find, even though it's legal address says Wash. St., you can neither see it or enter it from there. It is about two stories only; the rooms are nice enough and the location excellent. As long as you get really good directions there, this is an outstanding value.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family