“Best Lobster Roll!”
Review of Hank's Oyster Bar

Hank's Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Hank's Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My boyfriend and I ate here while staying in Alexandria during a weekend getaway. We loved it! We were greeted by a very enthusiastic hostess and taken care of by a very nice server. I had the best lobster roll of my life while my boyfriend had a tasty oyster po boy. He also enjoyed a great beer. They had an interesting selection of oysters, if you're into that sort of thing. A little pricey, but that's typical for the area. Great atmosphere! Would definitely stop back!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We have been to Hank's Oyster Bar previously. I have to say that experience was great. Last time, they were busy, but our waiter was great. The food was great and the arrival of the food was timed perfect.

However, last night's service was horrible. It started great since we called in to put our name for a table. When we arrived we were almost seated immediately. The dinning room was not too busy. We're a party of two.

Our waitress took our drink and our appetizer order. Our drinks and 1 of 2 apps arrived. She came to check on us, so far so good. She also took our entree order.

Keep in mind it is not busy. The wait staff do not run their drink or food orders or bus the table. They have other staff to do it.

We never saw our waitress for the next 45 minutes. The tables next to us finished their meals and another groups got seated. Their apps and entrees arrived timely. We were like what is wrong with this picture.

She finally comes over and asked if we ever got the second app??? Or entrees??? Furthermore, She tried to blame it on "others". She kept saying "others" told her that we had already received and ate our dinner. She joked about it. She did not even apologize about the situation instead she indicated it was coming right out. We waited for another 15 minutes before the food arrived. Again, she blamed on the "others". We were like who are the others.

I understand that we were in a tourist area, but we are locals. Their business will not be hurting because of my review or from me never going back. We have worked in the restaurant and hospitality industry so we know things can happen. I personally did not appreciate how she handled the situation.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Went here for an impromptu Saturday night out in Old Town. Only waited a few minutes for a table. The place was packed the entire time we were there and righfully so. Its a loud fun atmosphere and perfect for friends or a date night. Not tons of space, so probably not ideal for families with little ones.

The cocktails were creative and strong. I love that they served goldfish snack crackers instead of bread and they gave us a little thing of dark chocolate when the bill came like an after dinner sweet. These extra touches were so perfect and really add to the overall experience. Granted I am baised because those items are seriously my favorite all time snacks!

We started with a dozen oysters, and ordered a dozen more mid way through the meal they were so good. Also had the mussels and basically licked the bowl, the broth was so tasty. Also ordered the old bay fries and mac and cheese which was very good.

Service was fantastic and everything we ate was great. Cant wait to go back and try more. Definitely worth checking out for any seafood lover.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We tried to come here 2 times. The dishwasher was broken, so no food could be served.........not sure what that means, being a food professional myself. So the second time we tried to go we called first to make sure we could eat here. By the time we arrived, the dishwasher was again broken.....we felt lied to.

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Whether you're a seasoned oyster aficionado or you're just looking to try something new, Alexandria's Hank's Oyster Bar is the place for you. Squeezed into a blue, shotgun style row-house, it's outside appearance may not do justice to the pearl inside. A quirky, New England/ Chesapeake-inspired interior couples well with the fare: oysters on the half-shell from across North America and seaside inspired cuisine like the oyster Po-boy and crab cake supper. Although the loud and cramped atmosphere might be off putting to some, large families with young kids and first-date-couples will be equally comfortable in the hubbub between the bartender shucking oysters and the waiters bussing little bowls of Goldfish crackers table to table (not to mention the fact that the oyster is a natural aphrodisiac!)