Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle
US$320
EmbassySuites.com
US$219
US$148
Old Colony Inn Alexandria(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
US$229
Travelocity
US$343
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewsold townfull kitchenfree shuttlemetro trackseisenhower metrowhole foodson site parkingbusiness districtking streettwo bedroom suiteunderground garagean extended stayfew blocksduke streetoatmealcomplimentary breakfastparking fee
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I was quite impressed with this property. In town again for a Saturday afternoon Washington Nationals game and checked in early Saturday morning after a long drive from central North arolina. The front desk clerk was quite hospitable and, like almost everyone in the US, had a tie to North Carolina. We chatted for a few and I provided him with a suggestion for a neat weekend getaway in Elizabeth City, NC...but I digress....

Property was in great condition and had an impressive lobby and breakfast area. Room was great. I had a studio unit which had a nice flat panel tv, a comfy couch, a desk, a kitchen (with microwave, four-burner stove, refrigerator, and plates/flatware/glasses), and a great decor. I loved the earth tone color scheme. I was on the third floor and was within earshot and eyesight of the Metro rail but the occasional train was not too noisy or intrusive. Given that I grew up in New York and still live in the city I am used to a bit of background "noise"---no problems here. Admittedly the floor plan is a bit tight and the bathroom sink is quite close to the bed but this did not present any problem during my stay.

Breakfast was well done. Fruit (pineapple chunks, apples, bananas), cold cereal, bagels and toast and English muffins, two kinds of breakfast muffins (banana nut and chocolate), scrambled eggs, two types of potatoes, sausage with gravy, waffles, milk, yogurt, coffee, and juice made for a great start to the day. On Sunday morning there were copies of the Washington Post available for guests...a neat bonus for me.

Two computers and a printer appoint the business center which is in the lobby not too far from the front desk. Avoid the "convenience" center which has wine, snacks, and other sundries at somewhat high prices. Save some money and bring your own or leave the hotel to buy some.

Parking was a bit tight in the garage but it just so happened that each time I entered to park I was able to find a space that was open although I will say that getting into the space was a bit challenging. Key card needed to enter the parking garage and operate the hotel elevator.

All in all, a good find. The rate was quite good for the location---in the Carlyle area of Alexandria---and the accomodations. Note that the Eisenhower Metro rail station is within a walk but a somewhat lengthy walk....on the weekends you can park and ride for free at the Eisenhower Metro rail station so I would opt for this method of getting to the public transportation.

I would return if the rate is competitive with a couple of other properties I have stayed at and also like in the Alexandria area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side away from the Metro rail station may be a bit quieter....
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TrueTripInfo
Reviewed 24 September 2012

So comfortable at this nice hotel. Breakfast was GREAT, room impeccable. Bed comfortable.
Only thing was no pool for the kids. That would have been so nice on the hot summer days we had in July, 2012.

Room Tip: As I said, having no pool was a bummer.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank jjlw31
Reviewed 23 September 2012

i often stay at Residence Inns for the convenience of having a kitchen. This is one of the best I have encountered. All front desk staff went above and beyond to be helpful--volunteering useful information and following up the next day. They were truly concerned about guest safety and comfort. I was amazed that there was no outside noise in my room even though it overlooked the metro tracks. Room had amazing windows (with a large dead space for insulation). A wonderful investment that few hotels bother with. Room was small but well designed (for one person). Great to have both a desk and a separate table for eating. This hotel is smaller than most Residence Inns that I stay at and because of that, it was peaceful and felt like a boutique hotel with only a few rooms on each floor. Nice common spaces--again, tranquil due to the limited number of guests (and the hotel was full when I was there).

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank rosied8181
Reviewed 10 September 2012

This was my second stay at a Residence Inn and hopefully it will be my last, unless I am traveling alone. The problem is the layout; it seems that RIs are designed such that the bathroom sink is open to the room and a mere 5 feet from the bed. Good luck sleeping while someone is using it. With the bathroom just 2 feet past that, someone in bed can hear every noise eminating therein. Don't people actually get paid to think about this stuff when they design hotels?

Another problem is the idiotic sofa. Look at the pictures and you'll see what I mean. Could they possibly have come up with a more uncomfortable design?

And the bed; why do so many reviews say it's so comfortable? It's just a basic industrial hotel bed.

And the breakfast; it was lukewarm and tasteless. I'd be willing to bet that the scrambled eggs were powdered because they had no texture whatsoever. I actually had to cut a hunk off of the egg pile/loaf.

I could not imagine paying the weeknight rate of $250+ for this place; at the $119 weekend rate I thought it was overpriced.

Room Tip: Noise is not a problem even facing the tracks.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fcfrag
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Some positives, some negatives, in my multiple stay’s here. I agree with previous posts that the staff is nice! Great location, near good food choices (try the Thai), movie theater, walking distance to great attractions (mass transit). However, terrible Internet which must be dial up, as every time I have stayed here, it is pretty much unusable. For a newer hotel, I would have thought they have blazing Internet. I usually get a 1 bedroom, with two TV’s. The TV in the kitchen area, the sound did not work during evenings in my last stay. I assume this is due to the poor signal at peak times. My only TV that had sound was the bedroom. Seems the IT in this hotel is lacking. Internet is critical as face time, skype, etc. makes it easier to travel. Nice staff, but seems no one was able to understand how to fix something.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business