Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle
  • Pool
  • Room Service
  • Bar/Lounge
View Hotel
All reviewsold townfull kitchenfree shuttlemetro trackseisenhower metrowhole foodson site parkingbusiness districtking streettwo bedroom suiteunderground garagean extended stayfew blocksduke streetoatmealcomplimentary breakfastparking fee
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed here 2 nights for a nearby conference. From the moment I arrived to the moment I left, everything was perfect. The staff was very helpful and friendly every time I interacted with them. I was allowed to check in early, which was a pleasant surprise. The room (even though it was a studio) was large, clean, and comfortable. I enjoyed having the kitchen, dishes, and dishwasher. Breakfast was very good, and I was surprised how nice and large the workout room was for a hotel of this size. The Eisenhower Ave. Metro stop is a an easy five minute walk and the King Street station is about 10 minutes walking. The complementary shuttle will take you to either stop or to the restaurants and bars of King street. There isn't much right around the hotel, but you don't have to go to far to find what you need. I stayed here for one night a few years ago, and it really think this hotel has improved with age. I would not hesitate for a moment to stay here again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank tkbocl
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Thank you for the excellent review you posted about my hotel. I am extremely proud of my staff for delivering you consistently helpful and friendly service every time you encountered them. I look forward to sharing your compliments with my team. We are extremely fortunate to be very well equipped with spacious comfortable rooms at all levels, a large fitness center, and the best free breakfast in the area. Combining all of that with the close proximity we have to all destination venues makes our hotel the first choice for so many repeat travelers such as yourself. Once again thank you and I look forward to accommodating you again on your return visit.

Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a prime location for exploring Old Town Alexandria and DC. It's only a couple blocks walk to the metro and a mile to the waterfront. The hotel also runs a free shuttle until around 10 at night. Check with front desk though as I think the hours varied by day of the week. The staff was extremely friendly and knowledgeable. The free breakfast was always available during the hours listed and cycled out to keep everything stocked and fresh. Finding a table was also not an issue. The rooms were clean and housekeeping staff was very friendly and polite whenever we saw them. Me and my entire family highly recommend this hotel. Ps parking was 18 a night and it's about a 30 minute ride into the smithsonian area of DC.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank sidewrds
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Thank you for writing such a wide array of compliments about my hotel. I am extremely proud of my staff for consistently delivering friendly and polite service while also maintaining such high levels of cleanliness. I look forward to sharing your comments with my team. We are also very fortunate to be located in such a prime location near all of the popular travel destination spots that makes our hotel the most convenient choice for so many repeat customers. Once again thank you for sharing how great our hotel, location, and staff are; and I look forward to accommodating you again on your next visit.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Generous rooms, exceptionally priced in a a convenient location with a courteous, helpful,and friendly staff. Convenient to both public transportation as well as major highways. Easy access to both King Street and DC.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gary W
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thank you for writing this generous review of our hotel. We are extremely fortunate to be centrally located to public transportation, major highways, and popular destination venues. Combining this with our helpful and friendly staff it creates a tremendous value for the exceptional prices we offer. Once again thank you and I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I love this hotel and it's location. I stayed for 10 nights and you only can do Old Town so much. The hotel has a free shuttle to and from Old Town which I used three or four times. The best part of the location was close to the PTO and the AMC Movie Theater Complex. This complex has a Ted's Grill, a great Thai restaurant, shops and more. I saw two movies during my stay. This complex is next to the Eisenhower Metro Station.
The hotel is clean and the people are great!
I will be back with my family to explore DC.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Todd W
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Thank you for sharing how much you love my hotel! Our hotel location is so highly regarded because of the walking distance to so many places and the close proximity to all of the metropolitan DC venues. We are also close to the metro and easy to get to from the nearby DCA airport. When you combine the newness of the condition of our hotel, the excellent job my staff does keeping the hotel clean, and the exceptional high levels of helpfulness and customer service consistently delivered from my team, it results in satisfied repeat customers such as yourself and makes our hotel the first choice for so many DC travelers. Once again thank you and I look forward to accommodating you again on your next visit.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

My wife and I won this hotel on Priceline. You never know what to expect, as some hotels give you a lousy room or service because you dared to submit a low bid. But this place treated us very well, we got a great room and I would stay here again on future D.C. travels.

When we got there, I told Jose at the front desk (who was very helpful the whole time) that I was a very light sleeper and concerned how close the Metro train was - it runs right behind the building. He moved us up to a big room near the top of the hotel, and with the triple-plated glass I never heard the train.

This hotel is in the Carlyle section of Alexandria, largely a corporate office center with little personality and nightlife if that's what you want. There is little to see except the impressive George Washington Masonic National Memorial nearby, and it's well worth going to the top for stunning views of the area.

Old Town Alexandria is a brisk walk or shuttle ride away. Personally I was happy to be away from the Old Town crowds. It's hard to imagine a hotel more convenient to general transportation - as mentioned, the Metro runs right behind it, with two stations nearby, and the Capital Beltway is on the other side. Easy access to D.C. and other areas, no matter how you travel.

Our room was very spacious, comfortable and quiet - really made use of the full kitchen. The hotel has regular social activities, and a big (free) breakfast in the morning.

Hotel parking is a bit of a challenge. When we came in at night the drop-off area was very hard to spot, and we had to go straight to the underground parking for $18 a night. Here's a tip - there are plenty of other parking options unless you have to be on site. On weekends, parking is free on Carlyle streets if you can find it (all the other hotel visitors are doing the same thing). Or, there's a huge parking garage on the other side of the Metro tracks off Mill Road next to the AMC Theater. They charge $5-7 for overnight parking, have a guard on duty and it's largely empty after the movies let out. From there you can walk just a block or two to the hotel. The garage is very visible from the hotel's front door.

The only other negative was housekeeping, which could be improved. But when we needed things we got them quickly.

Highly recommend this place, especially for business travelers or those who want a comfortable place to drop your bags so you can see the sights!

Room Tip: Rooms on the Metro side had insulated glass, didn't hear a thing. Was told rooms on the downtown Carlyle side are noisier.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank darkthirty
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thank you very much for such an outstanding review of my hotel. We are extremely fortunate to be located in a hybrid area that is conducive to both the corporate and the leisure travelers. Our state of the art sound proofing glass provides the quiet that guests are looking for while also being in close walking distances to both offices and tourist activities. We have the best free breakfast in the area (both in scope and in quality), and the best free dinner prepared delectably by our special culinary expert. To offer this value in a location that has easy access to all of the DC area destinations makes our hotel the first choice for so many DC visitors such as yourself. Once again thank you for taking the time to share your excellent experience with us and I look forward to seeing you again on your return visit.