“Excellent location”

Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle
Ranked #17 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed here over a weekend in March.The hotel is about 5 minutes walk from Eisenhower Ave Metro Station making it very convenient for visiting DC. It is also close to Old Town Alexandria main attraction, King Street (about 25-30 minutes walk or 5 min short ride in the complementary hotel shuttle van).
The room was very clean and spacious. Breakfast was the usual fare of Residence Inn hotels. Overall we had a great stay at this property and will stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Redfurdog
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Thank you for the "Excellent" compliments regarding your stay at my hotel. The word is spreading rapidly about our great location where guests can either walk, shuttle, or metro conveniently to their destinations. Our goal is to leave you with an experience great enough to want to stay here again, I am appreciative that we have met that goal. Once again thank you and I look forward to seeing you again upon your return.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in mid-March at the Residence Inn South at Carlyle while visiting family. This is also a good location for trips into DC, about a 30 minute metro ride. (Be aware that there are 2 Residence Inns in Alexandria). We had a cozy, one-bedroom king with a separate living room. The rooms were very clean and the bed was especially comfortable. Even though we were right by the Amtrack tracks, the triple-paned windows blocked all the noise and we never heard noise from the trains. The kitchen was well stocked as Residence Inns usually are. The two-room suite was big enough for 2 adults, but would have been tight quarters for more than 2. The way our rooms were layed out, there was no privacy between the bath, sink and living room.

This is a pet friendly hotel, and there is a large dog park immediately behind the hotel.

The breakfast was very good, and seemed to be a bit more hearty than other locations. Every morning there was scrambled eggs, a breakfast meat, fruit, yogurt, breads, etc., and a really nice waffle bar with lots of toppings to add in. The evening reception, served Monday-Thursday, was good, and there was enough food to make a full meal.

Staff was also very nice. The only concern was the shuttle that wasn't available as often as we needed it. This is a big hotel and lots of guests use the shuttle, which is just a 10-12 seat van. One night, a large wedding party was in line for the shuttle before us, and after waiting for a while, we finally made other transportation arrangements. Allow lots of extra time if you plan to use the shuttle.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor overlooking the Masonic Temple. You can see the Capitol in the far distance.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Zinfandelover

I am delighted that you enjoyed a comfortable stay at my hotel. So many people are amazed of the effectiveness of our sound proof windows, they truly are amazing! I love how our good location satisfies and I am even further passionate about how my staff delivered superior service and that wonderful breakfast that you enjoyed. Thank you very much for sharing your experience and I look forward to passing on your compliments to my staff.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I took the family for a week of DC sightseeing. Very helpful staff with a good shuttle service to Old Town. A bit of a long metro ride to DC sights but it is a comfortable stay once the days' activities are done. Retail shops are a 10 minute walk but there are some nice places to eat and a movie theater nearby. It's a mix of tourists and road warriors.

1  Thank FederalFarmer
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Thank you for the nice compliments regarding my hotel. I am glad that you had a comfortable stay and that my staff was very helpful. Many travelers enjoy our close walking distance to so many popular destination spots. Once again thank you and I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Not sure this place deserves the raves. It's clean but CRAMPED. I've stayed in plenty of Residence Inns and they have been far more spacious. We had 3 in the room - 4 or more people would be chaos. And the beds were AWFUL. I like a firm bed - not expecting a heavenly bed from Westin but come on. Awful night sleep. But to be fair - kids loved the sleep sofa. Go figure. Upon checking in, told that parking garage was "sold out." Options were street parking or a schlep to a public garage - past the substance abuse shelter next door (yes - be careful - perhaps explains why every single time you get in elevator you need your room key to operate it). Figured street parking in front of the US Attorneys office across the street would be safe - and it was - but was packed on Saturday night. The other Alexandria Residence Inn is in a much better location if you want to walk to restaurants etc. This is really in a deserted and remote area. Finally the breakfast was somewhat "institutional." Not awful but nothing to write home about,. The coffee was good. The powdered eggs were inedible. The sausage just looked scary. For the price of the room I should not complain - except other Residence Inns (and esp the Hampton Inn chain) have really elevated their game on breakfast. So there really is no excuse for serving slop - unless you're pinching pennies. I was with a group so had no choice on this hotel - but I would not return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Travelingirl2010

Thank you for sharing with me the very valuable feedback regarding your stay. First and foremost please accept my apologies for the experience you encountered. I would also like to extend to you my gratitude for taking the time and effort to communicate your experience because it provides me with the immeasurable opportunity to improve. After a long thread of very positive tripadvisor postings, I regret that you received such an anomalous encounter. And now, thanks to you, I have the opportunity to nip it in the bud so that to resume the consistently excellent service as aforementioned described from guests before you. I take these matters very seriously, and I promise to remedy them swiftly. I welcome the opportunity to prove that promise to you on a future visit. Once again thank you and I look forward to seeing you.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

I loved the service here. Everyone from the front desk to the breakfast staff, free shuttle bus driver, room cleaners was cheerful and helpful. The rooms are decorated in a contemporary theme and are comfortable; the mini kitchens are well equipped for an extended stay of 1 or 2 people. Many inviting restaurants are within easy walking distance; Old Town Alexandria is just a quick ride on the free shuttle bus. We were here for a family reunion and with the sofa bed opened up the quarters are really tight; a suite with separate bedroom advertised for 4 people (utilizing pull out sofa) still has a table with only 2 chairs and is a quite a squeeze. Would have been very comfy for a couple. For a 3 night stay, it was a minor inconvenience. Free breakfast was a full hot breakfast with eggs, bacon, potatoes, oatmeal, french toast, pancakes, fruit, cereal, yogurt, etc. Monday through Thursday there is free wine and beer and heavy appetizers that could really be a full meal. Shuttle bus runs in the mornings and evenings (no service from noon - 4 pm). It is true door-to-door service in the local area and is a wonderful benefit to staying at this hotel. We got a very good rate (although it ramps up significantly in the summer tourist season) for a February visit. All in all, we loved the hotel, just wish the rooms were a little roomier with the sleeper sofa opened up.

5  Thank 3SBTraveler
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Thank you for the cheerful compliments you gave my staff regarding the great service that you received. I am very proud of my team for delivering you such good service and I look forward to sharing your comments with them. I am pleased that you enjoyed our elaborate complimentary breakfast, free evening dinner & beverage service, and superb location of walking distance to restaurants and popular local attractions. Once again thank you and I look forward to seeing again when you return.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Just a few blocks from the King Stree Metro and plenty of places to eat. Service was very helpful and friendly. Would rate this as the best place to stay in Alexandria's Old Town, but it's a pretty good hike to most of Old Town's attractions.

1  Thank Donald D
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Thank you very much for declaring my hotel as "the best place to stay"! I absolutely agree with you! There are a growing amount of travelers discovering our secret recipe for this distinction ... of which is what you also wrote ... "service was helpful and friendly" combined with a "very good location". I am delighted to learn that you have discovered us and I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Took the family to DC for a long weekend of sightseeing. The Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle was booked primarily because it could fit four of us. Turned out it is very convenient to the Yellow Line (Eisenhower Station) which is just a couple of hops from the mall. Better yet, the staff was very helpful and informative (Pam @ the Front Desk is AWESOME, and the breakfast duo were very courteous -- as well as the local shuttle to take you around Alexandria).
We are already planning a return trip in the summer, and will definitely book here again.

1  Thank Daron P

Thank you very much for sharing how great your stay was at my hotel. It is always so rewarding to learn that the staff is delivering exceptional service to the guests particularly when such a wide breadth is mentioned. Pam does a fabulous job, the "Dynamic Duo" are phenomenal in the breakfast, and Barry (our shuttle extraordinaire) is always at your service! I am extremely proud of my staff and I look forward to sharing with them your sentiments. It is this type of service (and location to popular destinations) that creates repeat visits for so many travelers such as yourself. I am very pleased that you plan on returning here in the summer. Once again thank you and I look forward to seeing you when you return.