“Very nice hotel, easy subway access”

Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Dayton, Ohio
“Very nice hotel, easy subway access”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed here while on vacation in DC. We decided to stay in Alexandria because the town is great and the hotels are less expensive than the city. There are two subway stops near this hotel so it's very easy to get to and from DC. We chose this hotel specifically because we needed a 2 bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms and they could accommodate this and the price was right. The hotel is very clean and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. The suite was great! It was very clean and spacious. I love having a separate living room from bedroom as we like to let our 2 year old have his own "room". They offer a nice breakfast all week long and an evening reception with food, beer and wine on the weekdays; both are included in the price of the room. There is a laundry room on site, which was very convenient. We really enjoyed our stay here and would definitely come back again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for the very nice comments about my hotel and staff. We work very hard every day to deliver the friendly and accommodating experience that you wrote about, and I look forward to sharing your post with my staff. I am additionally pleased with your discovery of our tremendous value; the free breakfast, evening dinner, beer & wine, spacious rooms, and close proximity to the metro station. Welcome to the growing club of people who will be definitely returning back again to my hotel, and I look forward to seeing you when that time arrives.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
San Bernardino, California
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is a lovely property. When my original hotel overbooked they put me here and the room was both spacious and well appointed. The bed was cozy and comfortable. Breakfast was the typical hotel breakfast, but nice for all that. The only quibble was the front desk agent was a little abrupt upon check in. All in all I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for the great feedback regarding my spacious, cozy, and comfortable hotel. I am glad that you got an opportunity to experience us for your future choices. Everybody loves our wider than average full American breakfast and the extensive selections that we provide, I am glad that you enjoyed it. I am delighted that you are recommending us, and we appreciate the opportunity to accommodate you again when you return for your next visit.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My parents and I went to DC for a long weekend to visit family in Alexandria. After researching TA on all nearby hotels, this hotel had the best value and location. I was fortunate to score a AAA room discount, which included free parking and 2 metro day passes. For a few more dollars, I went for the one-bedroom suite and it allowed us some extra space and privacy. We were lucky to score a corner room where the bathroom was accessible from the living room (a previous reviewer had mentioned a different layout). The kitchen also came in handy after spending the day in DC and we wanted to sit for a minute and enjoy a cup of tea.

The nearest Metro station is on the yellow line, about a 15-minute walk. My mom had knee surgery last year but she was absolutely fine with the distance. On the rainy second day, we opted to use the free shuttle. The driver happened to be available and we didn't have to wait and he was very friendly. On our last day, we returned from dinner and my garage key didn't work, but when I hit the intercom, the front desk answered right away and let me in. They were happy to fix the cards. I should also mention that check-in was a breeze and they were happy to answer all my questions about the area. Breakfast was free and included some different hot dishes every day, better than just continental. And of course I love make-your-own waffles with strawberries and whipped cream! There was a weekday happy hour, but we were there over the weekend and didn't get to partake. I’d definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank GetAwayFromBoston
Thank you very much for the wide breadth of compliments regarding my staff and services. We are very fortunate to be conveniently located to the metro and popular destination spots, and our breakfast and evening meal periods are more elaborate than most others. I am glad that you had plenty of room and that my staff provided you with good service. Welcome to the ongoing club of so many other travelers that are definitely staying here again.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Overall a very nice staff and a nice hotel. Maybe it was the week I was there but there was no on-site parking offered. I was staying for eight days for work and was going to be working during some off hours so trying to find street parking was not an option. After some discussion with the manager on duty we were able to work something out. Like I said, nice people.

Room Tip: The rooms toward the train have triple glazed windows so you won't even hear them. So pick one...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for the nice remarks about the helpfulness of my staff, I am glad that we were able to work out the parking challenges for you. There is a parking garage just one short block from us that always has plenty of parking everyday, but as you mentioned, we do work things out. Once again thank you and we look forward to seeing you again when you return.
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I chose to stay at this hotel because of the Marriott brand and because it appeared to be in a good location and was a newly constructed hotel.

I was overall pleased with the cleanliness of the hotel and the attentive staff. We did have an AC issue with our first room and we were quickly relocated to a room with a better working unit.

The breakfast was typical but fresh and enjoyable.

Two concerns:
1) Although not a big deal the elevatrors were so hot inside.

2) This one was my big issue- they did not build the hotel with enough parking underneath of it. Nearly half of the spaces are for "compact cars" but everyone has to use them because there are no other options. That said- BOTH nights I stayed at this hotel by time I returned at night ALL spaces were taken (even handicapped) and I had to park outside. I told the front desk staff and they simply said "they had to park and walk too...and that they should have dug deeper for more parking". What I wanted to hear was that I would not be charged $18 for overnight parking...but I was charged for both nights.

I would say stay at this hotel....but plan to not get parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you very much for the compliments of my hotel and staff. I am glad that you enjoyed our highly acclaimed complimentary breakfast and helpful staff. I do apologize for the parking capacity issues that you encountered, and I agree that you should have heard what you wanted to hear. I am proud of my team for providing you with the cleanliness and attentiveness that you encountered, and I look forward to sharing your compliments with them.
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed with the Residence Inn Old Town, at Carlyle for over a month. The staff is clean, the staff is great and very helpful. The hotel is close to Old Town Alexandria. The hotel has shuttle service and can you and will pick you up at the end of you shopping. I will be back next year.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hello Jester2525, I am glad you enjoyed your month long stay with us. We put a lot of effort into maintaining a clean and helpful environment for our guests. I am pleased to learn that we served you well and I thank you for taking the time to let me know about your experience. It was a pleasure having you reside with us and we look forward to seeing you again when you return back here next year.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed at your hotel for three nights a few weeks ago. As I mentioned to your receptionist at the time, the shuttle service was unsatisfactory. I asked the young lady at the desk for the shuttle she then paged the drive who then told her he will be there in five minutes, I was told by the nice young lady at the desk that he will pick me up in front of the hotel. I waited fifteen minutes and no shuttle. I went back to the desk and inform the receptionist that the driver was not there. She apologized for the inconvenience. I stood at the counter and watched her page the driver again, he again told her he will be in front of the hotel. Another ten minutes went by and there were no driver. I again went to the desk and the young lady apologized again and asks another employee to check in the back and see if the driver was ok. Finally the driver pulled up and opens the door for me to get in. He said his name was Bryan. I could smell the alcohol on his breathe, he was talking very loud and did not make much sense. At this time I started to question whether or not I should allow him to take me. At this time I was thirty minutes late for my spa appointment. I allowed him to take me because I had no other choice. I am urging you managers drinking and driving is no joke. If he is in fact drinking on the job and going to continue driving, you as a company need to get him help. Because of this incident I will not return to this Marriott Property.

Past guest

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank j f
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear j f, it is with great ruefulness that I express my utmost profound apologies for the egregious conduct of the shuttle driver that you experienced. As deep as my contrition is for the encounter, I am equally as grateful for you bringing it to my attention so that I can address it in the swift and appropriate manner that it behooves. It is intrinsically understood that behavior such as this is as reprehensible as it is deplorable, and I will assure you right here and right now that the source of this culpability has been extricated from our establishment so that to prevent this enormity from ever repeating itself again. There is no excuse for this type of behavior and there is zero tolerance for it too. It is my hope that this inimitable episode is seen for the extreme aberration that it is in light of the past several decades of high standards, ethics, and values that the venerable name of Marriott has demonstrated throughout its history. Once again thank you for fortifying me with the opportunity to remedy this situation and to restore the stature that we both know is Marriott.