“Excellent Service”

Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle
Ranked #18 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The staff is very friendly and helpful. I was walking down the hallway having my hands full with breakfast and tea when a staff member approached me and offered to open my room door for me. It was definitely unexpected. This hotel has a shuttle bus that would take you to Metro Station of your choice and Olde Town Alexandria. The complementary breakfast is excellent. It is within walking distance to United States Patent and Trademark Office so it is educational for kids and adults alike. The only thing is that it appeared the shampoo and conditioner had been used. The conditioner was only half full. That's why I usually travel with my own toiletries.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you very much for posting the excellent experience you had at my hotel. I am delighted that our staff was alert enough to provide you with assistance with your door. My Chef works hard every day to make the breakfast excellent, and I am proud that her efforts have come to fruition. It is also good to learn that more and more people are discovering the multitude of venues that are in walking distance of our centrally located hotel. Once again thank you for your post.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed here for several weeks in January, and when I initially opened the door I was so surprised by how spacious and modern the room was. Truthfully, it was nicer than some apartments I have lived in. Because of the layout, we were able to place my daughter's pack and play around a corner, which meant that she could not see us and we all therefore slept miles better. The kitchens in the room are stocked with quite a number of the things you would need to prepare some basic items, which really helps to alleviate all of the constant restaurant eating. Plus, it is a fairly short walk to a Whole Foods from the hotel, so that is a bonus.

The staff was exceptional. They helped us to arrange a baby sitter that was screened so that my husband and I could go out on a date and trust that our daughter was well taken care of. They gave us directions to countless places, helped us to conduct our business on the computers there and were generally always pleasant and agreeable.

My one downside to this hotel was the breakfast. The first day (and week) I thought it was pretty fantastic, but then I quickly realized that there was very little variety to be had and that the choices cycled through over and over. My husband was happier with it than I was because he could literally eat a waffle every day of the week, but I was trying to eat less processed stuff and found food of the "fresh" variety rather lacking. Otherwise, this hotel was fantastic.

Room Tip: If you choose a room higher up you will have less noise and a better view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for the fantastic compliments about my hotel and staff. I am extremely proud of my team for providing you with exceptional service and I look forward to celebrating their success with them. I am glad that you appreciate our close proximity to so many destination spots and that our rooms are spacious and nice. Once again thank you for such a fantastic review and I look forward to seeing you again when you return.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed here while on vacation in DC. We decided to stay in Alexandria because the town is great and the hotels are less expensive than the city. There are two subway stops near this hotel so it's very easy to get to and from DC. We chose this hotel specifically because we needed a 2 bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms and they could accommodate this and the price was right. The hotel is very clean and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. The suite was great! It was very clean and spacious. I love having a separate living room from bedroom as we like to let our 2 year old have his own "room". They offer a nice breakfast all week long and an evening reception with food, beer and wine on the weekdays; both are included in the price of the room. There is a laundry room on site, which was very convenient. We really enjoyed our stay here and would definitely come back again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for the very nice comments about my hotel and staff. We work very hard every day to deliver the friendly and accommodating experience that you wrote about, and I look forward to sharing your post with my staff. I am additionally pleased with your discovery of our tremendous value; the free breakfast, evening dinner, beer & wine, spacious rooms, and close proximity to the metro station. Welcome to the growing club of people who will be definitely returning back again to my hotel, and I look forward to seeing you when that time arrives.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is a lovely property. When my original hotel overbooked they put me here and the room was both spacious and well appointed. The bed was cozy and comfortable. Breakfast was the typical hotel breakfast, but nice for all that. The only quibble was the front desk agent was a little abrupt upon check in. All in all I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Thank you for the great feedback regarding my spacious, cozy, and comfortable hotel. I am glad that you got an opportunity to experience us for your future choices. Everybody loves our wider than average full American breakfast and the extensive selections that we provide, I am glad that you enjoyed it. I am delighted that you are recommending us, and we appreciate the opportunity to accommodate you again when you return for your next visit.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My parents and I went to DC for a long weekend to visit family in Alexandria. After researching TA on all nearby hotels, this hotel had the best value and location. I was fortunate to score a AAA room discount, which included free parking and 2 metro day passes. For a few more dollars, I went for the one-bedroom suite and it allowed us some extra space and privacy. We were lucky to score a corner room where the bathroom was accessible from the living room (a previous reviewer had mentioned a different layout). The kitchen also came in handy after spending the day in DC and we wanted to sit for a minute and enjoy a cup of tea.

The nearest Metro station is on the yellow line, about a 15-minute walk. My mom had knee surgery last year but she was absolutely fine with the distance. On the rainy second day, we opted to use the free shuttle. The driver happened to be available and we didn't have to wait and he was very friendly. On our last day, we returned from dinner and my garage key didn't work, but when I hit the intercom, the front desk answered right away and let me in. They were happy to fix the cards. I should also mention that check-in was a breeze and they were happy to answer all my questions about the area. Breakfast was free and included some different hot dishes every day, better than just continental. And of course I love make-your-own waffles with strawberries and whipped cream! There was a weekday happy hour, but we were there over the weekend and didn't get to partake. I’d definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank GetAwayFromBoston

Thank you very much for the wide breadth of compliments regarding my staff and services. We are very fortunate to be conveniently located to the metro and popular destination spots, and our breakfast and evening meal periods are more elaborate than most others. I am glad that you had plenty of room and that my staff provided you with good service. Welcome to the ongoing club of so many other travelers that are definitely staying here again.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Overall a very nice staff and a nice hotel. Maybe it was the week I was there but there was no on-site parking offered. I was staying for eight days for work and was going to be working during some off hours so trying to find street parking was not an option. After some discussion with the manager on duty we were able to work something out. Like I said, nice people.

Room Tip: The rooms toward the train have triple glazed windows so you won't even hear them. So pick one...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for the nice remarks about the helpfulness of my staff, I am glad that we were able to work out the parking challenges for you. There is a parking garage just one short block from us that always has plenty of parking everyday, but as you mentioned, we do work things out. Once again thank you and we look forward to seeing you again when you return.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I chose to stay at this hotel because of the Marriott brand and because it appeared to be in a good location and was a newly constructed hotel.

I was overall pleased with the cleanliness of the hotel and the attentive staff. We did have an AC issue with our first room and we were quickly relocated to a room with a better working unit.

The breakfast was typical but fresh and enjoyable.

Two concerns:
1) Although not a big deal the elevatrors were so hot inside.

2) This one was my big issue- they did not build the hotel with enough parking underneath of it. Nearly half of the spaces are for "compact cars" but everyone has to use them because there are no other options. That said- BOTH nights I stayed at this hotel by time I returned at night ALL spaces were taken (even handicapped) and I had to park outside. I told the front desk staff and they simply said "they had to park and walk too...and that they should have dug deeper for more parking". What I wanted to hear was that I would not be charged $18 for overnight parking...but I was charged for both nights.

I would say stay at this hotel....but plan to not get parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you very much for the compliments of my hotel and staff. I am glad that you enjoyed our highly acclaimed complimentary breakfast and helpful staff. I do apologize for the parking capacity issues that you encountered, and I agree that you should have heard what you wanted to hear. I am proud of my team for providing you with the cleanliness and attentiveness that you encountered, and I look forward to sharing your compliments with them.