“Long term Stay!”

Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Sacramento, California
“Long term Stay!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel about 42 days. I loved it! The Staff from top to bottom were excellent! I even joined in on a focus group to help improve the hotel. I felt safe and secure in the hotel night and day. Everyone was courteous and helpful! My room was comfortable and relaxing. I really enjoyed the use of the gym. The gym is small but better than most hotels normally provide. I will definitely choose this hotel for any length of stay again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you very much for all of the great compliments you wrote about my hotel. I am extremely proud of my staff for delivering you the experience you encountered and I look forward to sharing with them your comments. I enjoyed speaking with you in the focus group and having you as a resident for such a long stay. Once again thank you for the compliments and for your patronage.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Taunton Ma
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We booked this hotel through AAA and got a great package deal for three nights. It also included two one day passes on the Metro. There are two Metro stations within walking distance. Also included was free parking.Our room was 1515 a king bedroom Suite. The room was very clean, modern and comfortable for my family. The pull out sofa was very comfy for our 15 yr. old . We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast every morning. Breakfast was better than the average with many choices. We ate the complimentary dinner only once and found it to be o.k. The staff at this hotel were friendly. We used the free shuttle once but found everything within walking distance after that. The problem we had began when we found a note slipped under our door explaining that some time during our stay they were going to enter our room and shampoo the carpets. I went to the front desk and asked the woman there if it was possible that they not do shampooing of our room until we checked out. The woman wrote our name and rm. # down on a piece of paper and assured us that they would not shampoo until we booked out. Two days later after a very long day and night of sightseeing in the city we arrive in our rm at 11:30 pm to find that our room had been entered [ even though we placed the do not disturb no housekeeping needed sign on our door] and the carpets had been shampooed!!!! It took us a while to locate where they had moved our personal belongings to, we felt violated that they had touched all of our belongings and moved them to other places in our room. If they had told us that they were going to do this we would of put our things away ourselves. I appreciate that they clean their carpets, but it should not be during a paying customers visit and without their permission!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Omydarlen, thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at my hotel. I am filled with contrition about my shampoo cleaners entering your room and hope that you accept my apologies. The note you received under your door was designed to prevent this type of occurrence and I take full responsibility for the failure of the hand written name and room number move from the front desk to reach the carpet cleaner so that to uphold your request. I have some coaching to do and I will certainly fix the breakdown. Once again please accept my apologies and thank you for letting me know about your stay.
Verona, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed in the hotel on the 4th of July weekend (Friday-Monday). The hotel is new and very clean. Staff is very friendly. The location is ok. A few comments:

1. The "skin" of computer chairs in both our rooms were peeled off so badly. We do not even want to sit on them. They are not old but of very low quality.
2. Breakfast area was way too crowded for the long weekend. The space was just not able to accomodate a fully booked weekend. I mean, if you are offering complimentary breakfast, at least make sure people can sit down. I saw some empty conference rooms were not open and many people struggled to take plates and cups to their rooms. Not easy if you are travelling with young kids.
3. Breakfast on a week day (with egg florentine) is much better than that on the weekend (just try to fill up everybody's stomach...). Seems that the hotel treat business guests better than vacationers.
4. No parking available on the long weekend although street parking is available. Be careful that many streets start limiting paid parking for 2 hours only starting July 1, 2014.

Not saying it is not good at all but I did anticipate a Residence Inn to be more cozy than this.

Room Tip: Rooms are quiet even on the side near the Metro rails.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for the compliments on the friendliness of my staff and the hotel’s cleanliness. These are just two of the many reasons why our hotel is always full of people enjoying our famously best elaborate free breakfast in the area. Holidays always draw a larger crowd of people in any popular destination spot and I am glad you were able to discover ours. Once again thank you and happy 4th of July!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The staff is very friendly and helpful. I was walking down the hallway having my hands full with breakfast and tea when a staff member approached me and offered to open my room door for me. It was definitely unexpected. This hotel has a shuttle bus that would take you to Metro Station of your choice and Olde Town Alexandria. The complementary breakfast is excellent. It is within walking distance to United States Patent and Trademark Office so it is educational for kids and adults alike. The only thing is that it appeared the shampoo and conditioner had been used. The conditioner was only half full. That's why I usually travel with my own toiletries.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you very much for posting the excellent experience you had at my hotel. I am delighted that our staff was alert enough to provide you with assistance with your door. My Chef works hard every day to make the breakfast excellent, and I am proud that her efforts have come to fruition. It is also good to learn that more and more people are discovering the multitude of venues that are in walking distance of our centrally located hotel. Once again thank you for your post.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed here for several weeks in January, and when I initially opened the door I was so surprised by how spacious and modern the room was. Truthfully, it was nicer than some apartments I have lived in. Because of the layout, we were able to place my daughter's pack and play around a corner, which meant that she could not see us and we all therefore slept miles better. The kitchens in the room are stocked with quite a number of the things you would need to prepare some basic items, which really helps to alleviate all of the constant restaurant eating. Plus, it is a fairly short walk to a Whole Foods from the hotel, so that is a bonus.

The staff was exceptional. They helped us to arrange a baby sitter that was screened so that my husband and I could go out on a date and trust that our daughter was well taken care of. They gave us directions to countless places, helped us to conduct our business on the computers there and were generally always pleasant and agreeable.

My one downside to this hotel was the breakfast. The first day (and week) I thought it was pretty fantastic, but then I quickly realized that there was very little variety to be had and that the choices cycled through over and over. My husband was happier with it than I was because he could literally eat a waffle every day of the week, but I was trying to eat less processed stuff and found food of the "fresh" variety rather lacking. Otherwise, this hotel was fantastic.

Room Tip: If you choose a room higher up you will have less noise and a better view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the fantastic compliments about my hotel and staff. I am extremely proud of my team for providing you with exceptional service and I look forward to celebrating their success with them. I am glad that you appreciate our close proximity to so many destination spots and that our rooms are spacious and nice. Once again thank you for such a fantastic review and I look forward to seeing you again when you return.
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed here while on vacation in DC. We decided to stay in Alexandria because the town is great and the hotels are less expensive than the city. There are two subway stops near this hotel so it's very easy to get to and from DC. We chose this hotel specifically because we needed a 2 bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms and they could accommodate this and the price was right. The hotel is very clean and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. The suite was great! It was very clean and spacious. I love having a separate living room from bedroom as we like to let our 2 year old have his own "room". They offer a nice breakfast all week long and an evening reception with food, beer and wine on the weekdays; both are included in the price of the room. There is a laundry room on site, which was very convenient. We really enjoyed our stay here and would definitely come back again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for the very nice comments about my hotel and staff. We work very hard every day to deliver the friendly and accommodating experience that you wrote about, and I look forward to sharing your post with my staff. I am additionally pleased with your discovery of our tremendous value; the free breakfast, evening dinner, beer & wine, spacious rooms, and close proximity to the metro station. Welcome to the growing club of people who will be definitely returning back again to my hotel, and I look forward to seeing you when that time arrives.
San Bernardino, California
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is a lovely property. When my original hotel overbooked they put me here and the room was both spacious and well appointed. The bed was cozy and comfortable. Breakfast was the typical hotel breakfast, but nice for all that. The only quibble was the front desk agent was a little abrupt upon check in. All in all I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Cory G, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town South at Carlyle, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for the great feedback regarding my spacious, cozy, and comfortable hotel. I am glad that you got an opportunity to experience us for your future choices. Everybody loves our wider than average full American breakfast and the extensive selections that we provide, I am glad that you enjoyed it. I am delighted that you are recommending us, and we appreciate the opportunity to accommodate you again when you return for your next visit.