“Excellent prep and service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bastille

Bastille
Reserve with OpenTable
Bastille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 748 Restaurants in Alexandria
Price range: US$20 - US$59
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bashford Lane / Third St
Transit: Braddock Road Metro (closest with cab ride) or King Street Metro (with cab ride)
Description: Since 2006, Chefs Christophe and Michelle Poteaux's award winning brasserie and wine bar located in Old Town Alexandria has continued to offer guests a contemporary spin on French cuisine set within a sophisticated yet comfortable atmosphere. The Poteaux's creations are sparked by the use of seasonal, locally sourced and farm fresh ingredients. With an expansive wine list, unique draught and bottled beer selections and creative cocktails, Bastille has a little something for everyone
Washington, DC
“Excellent prep and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

The restaurant is small but the food and service are excellent. Even when a reservation is not available, however, there is usually seating available at the bar or on the outside patio in good weather. We love that the chef always uses food in season. Save room for dessert!

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Restaurant Week: Bastille Starts It Off Right!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

After skipping Restaurant Week in Alexandria the last few years, Hubby and I decided there were enough new places to warrant a week of over-indulging and a couple of extra pounds. Our first choice was Bastille, which we had noticed on our return to the area, but had not gotten around to sampling. During Restaurant Week, we pledge to only go to places we had not yet been to.

We arrived just a few moments before opening, and the charming little outdoor courtyard was already gathering a crowd. The hostesses were fast and courteous, getting the crowd to their seats and menus in hand quickly. This was surprise number one. During Restaurant Week, we often are met with surly looks and lackluster service, as the wait and house staff know that tips will not be as large and quite frankly, people more demanding.

Bastille had a large number of items to chose from – again a nice surprise. Restaurant Week will sometimes find only two choices on the menu, like it or lump it. But there were many items to choose from and making a selection was hard. Hubby went for the heirloom tomato salad and my eye landed on the shrimp beignets. Both were hits. The salad was perfectly seasoned, and my beignets were delicious with a nice garlic aioli sauce. We both had ordered the hanger steaks, which arrived perfectly prepared. The only note that did not quite hit was the pommes frites, which were not crisp. Most likely a result of our coming at opening and the large crowd; perhaps the oil not at full temperature?
For dessert, I chose the cheese tray, and Hubby went for the crème brulee.

Our wait staff was great, and his trusty assistants quick and helpful. The hostess made the rounds about the room, chatting and inquiring about our meals. Certainly a nice touch and simply unheard of during Restaurant Week. We figured out how much our meal would have been on a regular night and added a bit to that 20 percent for the wait staff.

And our rule about not going to a restaurant during Restaurant Week already visited? Well, we are breaking it: Dinner tonight at Bastille is scheduled at 5:30! Maybe the duck, maybe the roast chicken …

1 Thank SidelineObservant
Washington, DC
“Perfection -- Food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

The food was absolutely fantastic. It may be a bit more expensive than other restaurants but it is truly a classic French restaurant with plenty of food on the plate (and the plating itself is stunning). The food is fresh and cooked to perfection. Every course is memorable ... but make sure you save room for dessert. HIGHLY recommend the chocolate truffle cake with blackberry ice cream, it is to die for.

Service is A+. My waitress was outstanding but if another server saw my ice tea glass less than half full, they immediately filled it. The dining room itself is quiet and inviting. I appreciate that it is truly "intimate" -- very welcoming. I also appreciated that, as a solo diner, I was treated well and not rushed (and that isn't always the case in certain high-end restaurants).

Arlington, Virginia
“Exceptional Meal & Fantastic Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We just celebrated our 10-year anniversary at this wonderful little restaurant on the outskirts of Old Town. The owner is also the head chef; his wife is the co-owner and pastry chef. We started with delicious shrimp beignets and a lovely salad of greens, roasted fresh peaches and a goat cheese cromesqui (little fried patty). My entree was simply spectacular - a frech paella of lobster, scallops and mussels. I closed my eyes and hummed while eating it - honestly it was that good. Dessert was good too - a noisette du chocolat, with these little chocolate and rice crunchies on top. Keep in mind that the menu changes with available local ingredients, so I can't promise that "my" paella will be there, but you must try it if it is. Even the staff was great - our french-speaking waitress was very informative and the sommelier picked out a perfect wine. I suspect we will return often. Our kudos and thanks to Bastille!

Windermere, Florida
“Wonderful lunch, looking forward to returning!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

I have lived in Alexandria for a year and finally made it to Bastille, I am so sorry to have waited so long. The restaurant is lovely, indoor and outdoor seating was available. Since it is located off the beaten path, the outdoor seating is very pleasant and quiet. The menu is wide ranging, but I did order my favorite, the Salad Nicoise. It was topped with freshly grilled fish and simply delicious. I look forward to returning, service was excellent and there are discounts being offered, as if I needed an incentive!

• Visited July 2013