“Luxury hotel with great service… Great location!”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Metairie, Louisiana, United States
“Luxury hotel with great service… Great location!”
Reviewed 2 April 2013 via mobile

The price was great and the location was perfect for a visit to DC -- 15 minutes from DC and in center of old town Alexandria -- amidst quaint shops along street to river. The hotel has a modern design with large showers, comfortable bedding. Staff provided excellent service, offering us a glass of wine upon our late arrival because we missed the wine reception. They accommodated our room request upon arrival (we were originally given a room without a window on the far end so be sure to ask for one). We have never stayed at a Kimpton hotel before and were pleased at the services provided, too. They provide dozens of items at no charge if forgotten, have 24 hour room service, movies, snack bar, fridge, free wifi, computer with links to info & dining menus, etc. We had to request a coffee maker but they brought one up right away. I was disappointed that the spa did not offer salon services for hair and nails… just massages and facials. There was a spa feel to room -- clean and modern -- parking was valet.

• Stayed March 2013
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Hello JudyNewOrleans,

I see you found the best of both worlds with us for price and location. I was pleased to note our modern décor was appealing to you, and that your visit started with a glass of wine. It’s hard to beat that! I am glad you enjoyed all the complimentary extras we provide to make your experience more enjoyable. I am sorry our spa doesn’t offer salon services, but we are able to recommend ones we have tried out.

We hope to see you again soon,

Thomas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Pasadena
Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

It is always difficult not to be able to give five stars to a hotel that tries so hard. But there are things that need to be said to alert future travelers.

First, the staff at the Lorien are outstanding. The front desk, valets, housekeeping and wait staff were pleasant and well trained. Many staff members have affectionate names like Sweet Pete or Father Thomas (general manager). The facility is clean and extremely well located. The rooms had good firm beds and crisp linens. Clearly the hotel is trying to emulate five star service.

However upon checking in I had to remind the concierge that I wanted a quiet room with a nice view. I had filled this information on their In Touch program website. Sweet Pete was not aware of this because he said I had made my reservation with Expedia and further that this stay would not count in their loyalty program. I stayed in 314 which seemed very nice except no view......overlooking a parking lot. I was told that there really aren't any rooms with great views (despite photos of previous guests room views).

Upon being awakened at 7am by linen service and sea food service I decided to discuss with management. The GM Father Thomas was very understanding and I was shown two rooms that would be alternatives. Neither were good options. Not surprising as this was Easter week end. Management sent a bottle of wine to my room with a very nice note if apology for not being able to provide me with a quiet room. On my second night the guests next to me were blasting their TV. The front desk was able to have them turn their TV down. In addition the stopper in the bathtub did not work. Although I requested engineering to repair it, it was not fixed. So I could not take a bath. Also, I requested a Wall Street Journal daily which I did not receive.

Although I took photos the current photos are accurate and mine would only duplicate the existing ones. This is a pet friendly and child friendly hotel. Lots of dogs at the hotel which I personally find objectionable. But if that doesn't bother you then this is your place.

The Lorien has an excellent restaurant and bar as well as a tasting room which I review in the restaurant section.

Finally, I will repeat that the staff is terrific but they cannot fix what are physical issues with this hotel. If it were not for the staff I would rate this hotel lower.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear CAgirlqt,

It was a pleasure speaking with you at the Front Desk. Please accept my apologies for not being able to get you situated in a guest room that met all of your requirements. I am sorry the bathtub stopper repair our Engineer completed was not the permanent fix we intended to create. I was pleased to note you received wonderful service from all the staff who interacted with you throughout your stay, and that you enjoyed your BRABO restaurant experiences.

Cordially,

Detroit, MI
Reviewed 29 March 2013 via mobile

Easy Stay In Convenient Location To Metro And King Street Restaurants. Free Trolley Is Nice But Doesn't Circulate Often Enough. Easy Stay In Convenient Location To Metro And King Street Restaurants. Free Trolley Is Nice But Doesn't Circulate Often Enough.

• Stayed March 2013
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Dear business_traveler008,

I am glad you enjoyed our location which is close to the Metro stop and so many excellent restaurants. I am sorry the Trolley doesn’t run as frequently as you wish, but at least there is some great window shopping to do along King Street.

We look forward to seeing you again soon,

Challl Hill
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I love this hotel and have returned twice after my initial visit. The staff is very friendly, but professional at the same time. it is an unusually challenging combination to find. There is good coffee in the sitting area in the mornings and in the evenings a complimentary glass (or two) of wine is available. When we was there in mid-March we sat outside by the fire pit and enjoyed our wine. It is close enough to the King Street Metro station to ride the Metro from the airport and to hop onto if you want to go anywhere in the DC area. I've never stayed there with my dogs but I look forward to doing that someday. Overall, the Lorien feels like a European hotel to me and I'll return as often as I can.

Room Tip: I've stayed in this hotel 3 times and each room has been lovely. I like looking out onto the ent...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Thomas F, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Hello melody h,

I’m pleased that you found the best of both worlds within our staff. I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy our morning coffee and evening wine reception. The Metro is certainly convenient whether down from National airport or up to DC.

We look forward to your next visit, and perhaps with your dogs,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 27 March 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay at Lorien. It was close enough to the metro to take into DC and we could also walk into the restaurants and shops in old town. Lorien is a comfy, peaceful place, the decor was simple but pleasing. Wine receptions each evening. The service was top notch and we felt the staff was attentive but not over-bearing. Rooms were very clean. Valet parking was convenient, since parking is at a premium there. The gentlemen parking the cars couldn't have been more friendly. We also decided on massages and took advantage of that service at the Lorien spa. We needed a peaceful, relaxing weekend ad got it at Lorien.

Room Tip: Choosing the upgraded King room with the soaking tub was the best decision we made. It was awesome t...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear MarjHatz,

I’m happy we could be your weekend retreat. It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your spa experiences and enjoying our evening wine reception. I was very pleased to have shared your feedback with our Valet parking team.

When you need a break from the stresses of life, we’ll be here for you,

Niskayuna, New York
Reviewed 27 March 2013

We decided to divide our drive from New York to Florida by staying at the Lorien in Alexandria for two nights. It was a wonderful experience for my husband, myself and our part Havanese and Part King Charles Cavalier, Ella. They made us feel so welcomed. Our accommodations were clean, sophisticated, and comfortable. Our dinner in their restaurant was excellant. Everyone we met who worked at the Lorien was friendly and accommondating. We will definitely make the Lorien our stop on future trips south since we are close to retirement. Alexandria was also a very pet friendly town. We enjoyed the close proximity to King Street and all the shops.

Room Tip: Just tell them what you would like. They are very accommondating. We like a quiet room away from ele...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deanne B
Hi Deanne B,

Thank you for choosing us as your rest stop part way through your trip to Florida. I am glad you enjoyed the décor of the hotel and that you received personalized service from our staff. It is certainly a nice walk, especially with Ella, up and down King Street to window shop.

We hope you will be passing by again soon,

Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I have stayed at the Lorien Hotel twice and will be going back in June. The first time alone and the second time with husband and dog in tow. I cannot say enough about how accommodating the staff is from the valet parking to the welcoming front desk to housekeeping. My husband was extremely impressed with the customer service and "can do" attitude here. This boutique hotel tucked into the heart of Old Town is a jewel and a truly comfortable home away from home. At our last stay, we were upgraded upon checking in to a lovely suite and our dog, Max, was given a treat at check in as well. Everyone remembered our names and also Max's.....very pet friendly. It is very clean and modern and they serve wine and appetizers every evening in a lovely comfy sitting area off the lobby with outdoor patio fire. Also, coffee and newspapers there in the morning. There is also an inviting courtyard in the front of the hotel. We have eaten at both the Brabo Tasting Room and also Brabo Restaurant. Both are delicious....the mussels and unique flatbreads are a must at the tasting room. We also had free wifi and I love the free "raid the mini bar" card they give you at check in. I would suggest you join Kimpton loyalty program and then reserve through their website. They had a yoga mat waiting in my room as I had requested on their site. Our room also smelled lovely. Very convenient are for walking and close to metro stop as well. A really great farmers market there in the summer down the street and great shopping. One more thing....I have never written a review for a hotel before but felt compelled....that's what a positive experience it was.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Hello Nancy K,

I am thrilled that you have chosen to write your first travel review about the Lorien Hotel & Spa! It’s nice to note that you, your husband and Max all enjoyed the service that we provided. It’s hard not to fall in love with the mussels which you can actually get in BRABO, as well as the BRABO Tasting Room.

We look forward to welcoming you back in June,