“Lovely place!”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The location, in Old Town, is lovely. The staff is friendly and helpful and the hotel really lovely. As a family of four, we had a small suite. The bathroom was enormous with a footed tub and wet room area. There is a lovely sitting room off the reception area where coffee and tea are served in the morning, and wine in the evening. The breakfast in the adjoining restaurant was excellent! My one complaint is that to get to breakfast you have to walk outside, and on a cold day in March, that was not great. They have a valet parking service which was very good and the valets were extraordinarily helpful.

Room Tip: The suite was sufficient for a family or four - but did not leave much extra room. We had a room fac...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank wendywbnyc
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear wendywbnyc,

Thank you for choosing the Lorien Hotel & Spa for your recent trip with your family and thank you for taking the time to write this review. I’m glad that you overall enjoyed your experience with us. The hotel has been built in 2009 and we were not allowed to attach anything to the original – historical building which hosts our casual restaurant called the Tasting Room. My apologies for the inconvenience this caused you. If you decide to come back and if you are looking for a little bit more space for you and your family please call us directly and inquire about the Diplomat or the Presidential Suite. We also have suites that are connecting to other rooms and we would be more than happy to find the perfect accommodations for you.

Tobias

Write a ReviewReviews (1,358)

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Great location, near restaurants and nice shops. Nice to walk up and down King St.
Very kind and nice people at the front desk, we felt at home.
Our room was a little small but very nice decor.
They provide a yoga matt and yoga TV channel(complimentary!) I really liked it!
To members of Kimpton they give you a coupon for the frigo bar in the room, good idea!
I dislike: 1-the ultra modern bathroom door: it looks great but it does not close the bathroom since it leaves some space between the glass and the wall.
2- I did not find a coffee machine in my bedroom. Most hotels provide a small coffee machine and coffee and tea. I wished they had it.
I recommend it , the location is perfect

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Susan R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers on Trip Advisor. It is great to hear that we were able to meet the expectations of such a road worrier like you. Upon your return please remember to ask us for a complementary coffee maker and don’t forget about our free coffee and tea station in the morning as well as our free wine reception hosted from 5m to 6pm every day.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 16 March 2014

The Lorien Hotel and Spa is a lovely boutique hotel situated in Old Town, Alexandria. The hotel is located in a historical brick building that has been updated with a sleekly modern design. The sheets were high quality, the bathroom-minimalist yet luxurious, and the room amenities were plentiful. However, the area where this hotel really shines is in its staff and customer service. The valet could not have been more helpful and pleasant, the hotel front desk staff went out of their way to make reservations and locate a ruler for a tailoring issue, and the housekeeping service was unobtrusive and professional. Nice Job on making out three day family stay a winner, Lorien!

Room Tip: One little tip...since it is an old building, the rooms are all unique. Our rooms 210 and 216 had ni...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank safetravel

Hello safetravel,

Thank you for staying with us and for the great feedback.
I’m thrilled to read that you and your family had such a great time at the Lorien Hotel & Spa. We hope to get the opportunity to welcome all of you back soon!

Yours,

Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I decided to stay at the hotel on Saturday Mar 8 to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The attention we received from Chase and Miss Maryland was unparalled. Unforunately there were several issues with room (506). The walls were painted with several different verisons of the same shade of paint and it took away from the beauty of the room. Also the towels were rock hard and the comforter was ripped. I believe though based on everything else we expirenced at the hotel that these were probably just freak occurances. Hopefully these issues will be resolved.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kayquipa
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Happy anniversary kayquipa,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking them time to write this review.
It is great to hear that Chase and Almetia, AKA Miss Maryland, took such great care of you and that they made you special day a good one. I like to apologies for the shortcomings you experienced in your guestroom. They are certainly not typical for us and I like to ensure you that we will address them immediately.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed here for two nights while on business and I could not have been happier with it. I had a two room suite, with a nice large bathroom with tub & shower. The rooms were gorgeously decorated and very comfortable.

The location can't be beat -- right on King street so in the middle of everything in Old Town Alexandria. Lots of great places to eat and see that are walking distance from the hotel. I followed the helpful jogging maps Kimpton always provides and had a great workout.

Kimpton is such a great hotel chain and this hotel has all of its pluses: wine reception, cozy robes, etc. Great place to stay in Alexandria that I'd love to come back to.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Mindse
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Mindse,

Thanks so much for your recent trip advisor review. We really appreciate the feedback.
You would love to come back and we would love to have you back, I guess we have a deal.
Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 5 March 2014

My husband and I have gone to the Old Town Alexandria area for the past decade but this is the first time we tried this Kimpton hotel. And we were just so pleased to discover it. The staff were all friendly and welcoming. The suite we had was roomy and nicely appointed. As Kimpton members we got $10 of free minibar items -- nice! And when we returned from our dinner out, they had given us a surprise gift of a bottle of chilled wine and a box of little chocolate caramel candies. Now that is turndown service to an exceptional level. The valet parking made our stay so easy as we did not have to worry about parking. When they brought the car around in the morning, they even turned on the seat warmers so despite the temp out being below freezing, we stepped into a nice warm car. Just fabulous service all around!!!

Room Tip: We had a quiet time in room 315. It is a really lovely suite with an enormous bathroom.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shirley0415

Hello shirley0415,

I’m so glad that you discovered us and that you experience was such a pleasant one. Please look no further and let us be your new home away from home in Old Town Alexandria.
Thank you very much for your great feedback and for staying with us.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I rarely ever take to writing reviews, but my latest visit to The Lorien has me wanting--no, needing--to do so. There is simply no other hotel experience that I have had (in Alexandria or elsewhere) quite like The Lorien. The property--but more more importantly, it's incredible staff--is simply beyond compare. And I don't mean relative to the (very reasonable) cost vs. value you receive in return. I mean, compared to any another hotel experience I have had. And I travel frequently for work and...and whenever possible, for pleasure. This staff's attention to detail and to customer service are unlike anything else I have ever experienced, and the quality of the overall experience far exceeds my already high expectations with every visit. A visit to Brabo is worthwhile, for sure, but at least one trip to the Brabo Tasting Room is a must. There, service and cuisine blend magically in a casual yet energetic atmosphere. The mussels are the highlight, so if you are a fan, this alone will make the visit. This success of this property, in my opinion, rests not on the backs of it's ideal location and top-notch hotel amenities, but instead on it's remarkably caring and professional staff. Do yourself a favor and consider this location if you're in the Alexandria area. It is worth the trip.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Brussels4Two,

Thank you for taking the time to write this fantastic review. I’m fortunate to lead a team of caring individuals who take a lot of pride in what they do every day. It is awesome to read your kind and passionate words and I’m excited to share them with the entire team.
We can’t wait to welcome you back!

Yours,