“A Great Surprise in A Great Location”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 21 April 2014

At the last minute we decided to spend the weekend in DC. The Lorien was the perfect place for our visit. We were able to get to Mt Vernon easily by car, then into DC by Metro and we even had time to wander Old Town Alexandria. The room was very clean and quiet and half of what it would have cost to stay in DC. We also tried out Brabo - which had food as good as Restaurant Eve and no pretense! I would go back to Lorien for both the room and the food - something I can't say very often.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Hello Peter A,

I’m thrilled that you enjoyed both our hotel and our great restaurant Brabo, which is truly not your “normal” hotel restaurant, during you recent weekend getaway. We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Thank you for staying and dining with us.

Tobias

Write a ReviewReviews (1,331)

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Nowhere in this area is inexpensive per se, but this is without a doubt a great hotel for a reasonable price. The mile walk to the water in the evening was just beautiful, feels safe and charming. Found happy hour and dinner along the way, and a coffee shop across the street. Staff were attentive and polite. Room wasn't large but wasn't misleading, perfect for two. Only odd thing was the "barn style" door to the bathroom- made of glass- it didn't close quite all the way, so I can see that being awkward if you are super private or just not with someone you are as open with.

Room Tip: we asked for a quiet room and got one...
1  Thank urbanagrl

Dear urbanagrl,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your kind review!
It is great to hear that you enjoyed our central location, your overall stay and everything our great city has to offer. Even though all of our rooms have a minimalistic – modern design, which makes us so unique, they can be quite different in layout and size.
I would be happy to assist you in finding the perfect room for you upon your return.
Just contact me at: tobias.arff@lorienhotelandspa.com and I will personally take care of your room assignment.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

From the moment we checked in with our Bichon for a 50th birthday weekend, it was a grand experience. Not only did every little request form the online reservation get to the property, but I was completely impressed with the ease of check in and the efficiency of the staff. We stay at pet-friendly hotels often, but none like a Kimpton! Lucy was so comfortable that we were more relaxed and enjoyed our time out of the room thoroughly....she slept in every day, loved the walks around Old Town and overall let her human parents enjoy a great stay, worry-free!

The attention to detail sin all of our arrangements was spectacular, and the staff certainly extend themselves for guests.

Room Tip: Thank you for previous travelers who recommended Suite 610...it was PERFECT for our visit!
1  Thank Anne G

Happy Birthday Anne G!

I’m thrilled that you and Lucy found the attention to detail you received from our team spectacular. We can’t wait to welcome you back to celebrate your 51st birthday with us!

Yours,

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel to visit Washington DC and we liked it a lot.

Location was almost perfect for us. It is located only about a 5 minute walk from the metro station, very close but not too close to be noisy. Going to DC was pretty easy. (Take yellow or blue line depending on where you want to get off, and it takes 20-30 minutes) The distance to the heart of the old town with more restaurants and shops seemed a bit longer, like half mile or more, but the reason we were there was to go to DC, so the location was right for us.

We stayed in a regular room, which was spacious and clean. To some people, the decor might be too minimalistic and simple, but I liked it. The lounge area was nice to sit back and hang out.

They serve free morning coffee at the lobby. I thought it was better than in-room coffee machines most hotels have for guests. And one evening, they offered free wine tasting.

The only thing that didn't make our stay perfect was the room temperature. Our room was one of the corner units, so it had more windows than other rooms ( I guess). I'm not sure if because of the extra windows, but the room didn't get warm enough even though I had to set the target temperature to 80 degrees. The heater ran all night, but I was cold all night. At some point middle of the night, it was blowing rather cold air.

Regardless, I enjoyed staying there and I would recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelwhenyoung

Hello soo k,

I truly appreciate that you chose to stay with us and that you took the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. It sounds like your stay was nearly perfect and I’m glad that you enjoyed your time with us.
My apologize for the challenges your experienced with the temperature in your guestroom. The location of your room should not have affected the efficiency of the HVAC unit. It sounds like an isolated issue with the guestroom unit and I will ensure that our engineering team takes another look at this particular unit.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at: tobias.arff@lorienhotelandspa.com
If you are planning to return to our area so I can ensure that your next stay with us will be flawless.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Lorien hotel was a great boutique hotel in Old Town Alexandria. Old Town is adorable but the main reason I chose it was due to its proximity to DC. Hotels in DC proper were outrageously expensive and just by crossing the river, we had a great hotel experience and were 20 min by metro to downtown DC. The amenities and staff were great (free wine happy hour!). Unfortunately, the weather wasn't great so we didn't get to walk around King Street as much as I would like but it looked like there were nice shops and restaurants. My only complaint would be that there are limited parking options. The hotel provides a valet service but there is no port cochere or driveway and King St. is small and crowded so loading/unloading bags was a little stressful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rebecca B

Dear Rebecca B,

Thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to write this review.
I’m glad that you enjoyed our convenient location and that you were able to find a much more affordable rate by choosing to stay in the beautiful city of Old Town Alexandria. I hope that upon your return the weather will cooperate so you will get the chance to enjoy the amazing culinary options, the great boutique shopping and the rich art and history that our city has to offer.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

The location, in Old Town, is lovely. The staff is friendly and helpful and the hotel really lovely. As a family of four, we had a small suite. The bathroom was enormous with a footed tub and wet room area. There is a lovely sitting room off the reception area where coffee and tea are served in the morning, and wine in the evening. The breakfast in the adjoining restaurant was excellent! My one complaint is that to get to breakfast you have to walk outside, and on a cold day in March, that was not great. They have a valet parking service which was very good and the valets were extraordinarily helpful.

Room Tip: The suite was sufficient for a family or four - but did not leave much extra room. We had a room fac...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank wendywbnyc

Dear wendywbnyc,

Thank you for choosing the Lorien Hotel & Spa for your recent trip with your family and thank you for taking the time to write this review. I’m glad that you overall enjoyed your experience with us. The hotel has been built in 2009 and we were not allowed to attach anything to the original – historical building which hosts our casual restaurant called the Tasting Room. My apologies for the inconvenience this caused you. If you decide to come back and if you are looking for a little bit more space for you and your family please call us directly and inquire about the Diplomat or the Presidential Suite. We also have suites that are connecting to other rooms and we would be more than happy to find the perfect accommodations for you.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Great location, near restaurants and nice shops. Nice to walk up and down King St.
Very kind and nice people at the front desk, we felt at home.
Our room was a little small but very nice decor.
They provide a yoga matt and yoga TV channel(complimentary!) I really liked it!
To members of Kimpton they give you a coupon for the frigo bar in the room, good idea!
I dislike: 1-the ultra modern bathroom door: it looks great but it does not close the bathroom since it leaves some space between the glass and the wall.
2- I did not find a coffee machine in my bedroom. Most hotels provide a small coffee machine and coffee and tea. I wished they had it.
I recommend it , the location is perfect

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Susan R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers on Trip Advisor. It is great to hear that we were able to meet the expectations of such a road worrier like you. Upon your return please remember to ask us for a complementary coffee maker and don’t forget about our free coffee and tea station in the morning as well as our free wine reception hosted from 5m to 6pm every day.

Respectfully,