“Excellent!”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The Lorien Hotel is a beautiful and clean property with a professional staff in a wonderful location. Free happy hour 5:00 - 6:00 p.m. and morning coffee and tea are wonderful touches. I wouldn’t hesitate to return.

One small suggestion to management is that walls of our room were bare and in need artwork. There is too much powder blue for my taste.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Chezkm,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. I’m glad that you enjoyed our location, our professional staff and your overall stay with us. I appreciate the suggestion of additional artwork in your guestroom. The Lorien Hotel & Spa has been designed by the award winning Designer Vicente Wolf who is known for his contemporary design and he took a minimalistic approach in the design of our guestrooms.
All of our guest rooms are slightly different and some feature more artwork than others. I hope to welcome you back in the future so we can find the perfect room for you.

Thanks again for the great feedback,

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I had a business trip to Alexandria and did not know where to stay. I am a loyal Kimpton customer so I searched for the closest Kimpton to where my meeting was being held. Lo and behold, right there on King Street was the Lorien. What a wonderful place! The courtyard leading up to the hotel is just perfect to sit and relax. I found the staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome and comfortable and the room is always impeccable! When I stay at a Kimpton hotel, I always feel like I'm coming home, and the Lorien did just that!
Perfect, perfect, perfect!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Chezkm

Dear Chezkm,

Thank you for being a loyal Kimpton guest! I’m thrilled to hear that the Lorien Hotel & Spa was able to live up to the high level of service Kimpton Hotels & Restaurant is known for. We are looking forward to welcome you back home to your new home away from home in Old Town Alexandria.

Yours,

Reviewed 28 April 2014

My wife and I just finished a two day stay here this morning. Our future daughter in law (via her mother) had made arrangements for her bridal shower at the Lorien Sunday midday. We came in late Saturday (the hotel was sold out) and found a bride having pictures taken and a kind of pre-wedding cocktail hour before the reception being held elsewhere. Later that evening, there was a Bar Mitzvah, with DJ, dancing , etc.
Come Sunday morning all was in order for the 11am the bridal shower and the space was ready for the guests. The shower was over a little after 3pm and by 5:30 it was set up for the next activity, a wedding reception with a small band that started in a patio (which our room looked over and associated indoor spaces ) and then moved inside.
Once again this morning, all signs of yesterday activities were gone and the conference rooms (where the Bar Mitzvah, then wedding reception) were now ready for a business breakfast meeting.
With this much activity, as well as the evening wine receptions and restaurant guests, one would think that there would be corners where trash, etc. might be missed but I did not see anything like that.
The Lorien is not a large convention style hotel, where there is always another room if something falls through. It was busy, but never felt rushed and all the staff demonstrate a great ethic of service to their guests.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Hello GrandOldTurkey,

Let me start with complimenting your TripAdvisor user name, I love it!
I also like to thank you for choosing us for your recent visit and for your awesome review. I’m glad that you truly enjoyed your experience with us and that you felt that our team was attentive throughout your visit. I hope that this was the start of a long and happy friendship between you and your new friends at the Lorien Hotel & Spa.

See you soon,

Reviewed 21 April 2014

At the last minute we decided to spend the weekend in DC. The Lorien was the perfect place for our visit. We were able to get to Mt Vernon easily by car, then into DC by Metro and we even had time to wander Old Town Alexandria. The room was very clean and quiet and half of what it would have cost to stay in DC. We also tried out Brabo - which had food as good as Restaurant Eve and no pretense! I would go back to Lorien for both the room and the food - something I can't say very often.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Hello Peter A,

I’m thrilled that you enjoyed both our hotel and our great restaurant Brabo, which is truly not your “normal” hotel restaurant, during you recent weekend getaway. We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Thank you for staying and dining with us.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Nowhere in this area is inexpensive per se, but this is without a doubt a great hotel for a reasonable price. The mile walk to the water in the evening was just beautiful, feels safe and charming. Found happy hour and dinner along the way, and a coffee shop across the street. Staff were attentive and polite. Room wasn't large but wasn't misleading, perfect for two. Only odd thing was the "barn style" door to the bathroom- made of glass- it didn't close quite all the way, so I can see that being awkward if you are super private or just not with someone you are as open with.

Room Tip: we asked for a quiet room and got one...
1  Thank urbanagrl

Dear urbanagrl,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your kind review!
It is great to hear that you enjoyed our central location, your overall stay and everything our great city has to offer. Even though all of our rooms have a minimalistic – modern design, which makes us so unique, they can be quite different in layout and size.
I would be happy to assist you in finding the perfect room for you upon your return.
Just contact me at: tobias.arff@lorienhotelandspa.com and I will personally take care of your room assignment.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

From the moment we checked in with our Bichon for a 50th birthday weekend, it was a grand experience. Not only did every little request form the online reservation get to the property, but I was completely impressed with the ease of check in and the efficiency of the staff. We stay at pet-friendly hotels often, but none like a Kimpton! Lucy was so comfortable that we were more relaxed and enjoyed our time out of the room thoroughly....she slept in every day, loved the walks around Old Town and overall let her human parents enjoy a great stay, worry-free!

The attention to detail sin all of our arrangements was spectacular, and the staff certainly extend themselves for guests.

Room Tip: Thank you for previous travelers who recommended Suite 610...it was PERFECT for our visit!
1  Thank Anne G

Happy Birthday Anne G!

I’m thrilled that you and Lucy found the attention to detail you received from our team spectacular. We can’t wait to welcome you back to celebrate your 51st birthday with us!

Yours,

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel to visit Washington DC and we liked it a lot.

Location was almost perfect for us. It is located only about a 5 minute walk from the metro station, very close but not too close to be noisy. Going to DC was pretty easy. (Take yellow or blue line depending on where you want to get off, and it takes 20-30 minutes) The distance to the heart of the old town with more restaurants and shops seemed a bit longer, like half mile or more, but the reason we were there was to go to DC, so the location was right for us.

We stayed in a regular room, which was spacious and clean. To some people, the decor might be too minimalistic and simple, but I liked it. The lounge area was nice to sit back and hang out.

They serve free morning coffee at the lobby. I thought it was better than in-room coffee machines most hotels have for guests. And one evening, they offered free wine tasting.

The only thing that didn't make our stay perfect was the room temperature. Our room was one of the corner units, so it had more windows than other rooms ( I guess). I'm not sure if because of the extra windows, but the room didn't get warm enough even though I had to set the target temperature to 80 degrees. The heater ran all night, but I was cold all night. At some point middle of the night, it was blowing rather cold air.

Regardless, I enjoyed staying there and I would recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelwhenyoung

Hello soo k,

I truly appreciate that you chose to stay with us and that you took the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. It sounds like your stay was nearly perfect and I’m glad that you enjoyed your time with us.
My apologize for the challenges your experienced with the temperature in your guestroom. The location of your room should not have affected the efficiency of the HVAC unit. It sounds like an isolated issue with the guestroom unit and I will ensure that our engineering team takes another look at this particular unit.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at: tobias.arff@lorienhotelandspa.com
If you are planning to return to our area so I can ensure that your next stay with us will be flawless.

Respectfully,