“Great experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

We recently stayed there for 2 nights. Our party included me, my wife, a 2 year old and 2 dogs. There was no extra charge for the pets which was awesome. The room was spacious and had a modern/upscale feel. The bathroom was large and clean. Valet parking is available but I felt that there was plenty of street parking as well and no meter to feed overnight. Highly recommend the place, especially for those with dog(s).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank derkman
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Hello derkman,

I like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing the Lorien Hotel & Spa for your recent stay in the beautiful Old Town Alexandria. I’m glad that you and your family enjoyed your experience with us. Please come back to see us again soon!

Tobias

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Just make your reservation. This hotel has it all. Location is right on King Street just a short walk to restaurants, shopping and the Metro. Beautiful courtyard to have a glass of wine, or just relax. The rooms are bright, and spotless clean! The customer service of the staff is excellent. Even though it is pet friendly, if you do not have a pet, or have any allergies there is a pet free floor for you. The Tasting Room Restaurant is so very good for breakfast, lunch and/or a light dinner. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Alexandria.

Stayed April 2014
Dear nataliemae,

I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your recent experience with us and I like to thank you for staying with us. It is awesome to hear that you had such a great time when in our Tasting Room. We just finished a renovation to this already beautiful space and I hope that you will have the opportunity to return to check it out soon.

Respectfully,

Long Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Kimpton Hotels (the parent company of the Lorien) has a very pet-friendly policy (no fees/charges regardless of the type of pet or how many stay with you at their hotels). This is why I chose the Lorien when I needed to remove my 4 cats from my house for the weekend when I was having an open house for the sale of my house. This was 3 years ago. They reception I and my cats received from the valet to reception to manager to housekeeping was fantastic! They were extremely helpful. Then a few months later when I sold my house and had a week before moving cross country, I again stayed at the Lorien. Everyone remembered me and my cats. Reservations were very accommodating to allow for government CONUS relocation rates (which is much lower than the normal TDY rate). Because of the low rate I was unable to get a full suite which I had previously. However, upon seeing the room, I realized it was too small for a week's stay with 4 cats and litterboxes! Management was able to move me (and helped physically) to a suite which I was willing to pay the difference out of my own pocket. Upon checkout, I discovered that they did NOT charge me the difference! They charged the government rate. I was so grateful. Also, the first time I stayed here, they had not had any guests w/cats. The pet bowls they supplied were meant for dogs and I joked with the manager and reception that my tiny runt of a cat almost drown in the water bowl. The second time I arrived, the general manager had gone out and bought small bowls specifically for my cats! (BTW, 3 years later, I was told they still use those bowls!). Also, one of my cats vomited on the carpet in my hotel room. Kimpton Hotels use only non-toxic cleaning products. I called housekeeping to ask them to deliver some cleaning supplies for me to clean the carpet. The housekeeper would not let me clean the mess and did it herself; I felt so bad, but she wouldn't budge in letting me do it myself. Move forward to present time - I had business back in DC this past April. Instead of staying in DC, I chose to stay at my all-time favorite hotel - the Lorien. Though it seemed as though all the staff had changed (from valet to reception to general manager), the service was still as exceptional as ever! I arrived at 6 am and there happened to be one room available so they let me in; this was not the room I had a reservation for; it was a double room that connected to another room. That night when I went to sleep at 2:30 am, I could hear my neighbor snoring! (He was extremely loud; I don't blame the walls or the hotel.) I contacted the front desk and they moved me immediately and again physically assisted! The best of their service is that in all of these circumstances I've detailed, not once did they make me feel as if I was an inconvenience or a pain in their behinds! Everyone very friendly and professional. Another reason I love Kimpton Hotels is that they are very environmentally conscience including their restaurants. Reception called several restaurants to inquire if their seafood was Canadian or if they were supporters of the ban against the Canadian seal hunt (a huge cause of mine and the Humane Society of the US). They were also very interested in hearing about this cause. This is just one small example of their willingness and eagerness to provide customer service above and beyond the norm. BTW, the rooms are great as well. The Lorien is my favorite hotel anywhere! Whenever possible, I will be staying here. Plus it's location is in a wonderful area of Old Town Alexandria and an easy 2 block walk to the Metro.

Room Tip: Reserve a king size bed so that you don't have a connecting room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hello blcats,

Thank you for your great feedback and for your loyalty. It is great to hear that the Lorien Hotel & Spa is not only your favorite hotel anywhere but that you also appreciate the good causes we at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants support.
We are looking forward to take very good care of all of you upon your return.

Newtown Square
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

The Lorien Hotel is a beautiful and clean property with a professional staff in a wonderful location. Free happy hour 5:00 - 6:00 p.m. and morning coffee and tea are wonderful touches. I wouldn’t hesitate to return.

One small suggestion to management is that walls of our room were bare and in need artwork. There is too much powder blue for my taste.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Chezkm,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. I’m glad that you enjoyed our location, our professional staff and your overall stay with us. I appreciate the suggestion of additional artwork in your guestroom. The Lorien Hotel & Spa has been designed by the award winning Designer Vicente Wolf who is known for his contemporary design and he took a minimalistic approach in the design of our guestrooms.
All of our guest rooms are slightly different and some feature more artwork than others. I hope to welcome you back in the future so we can find the perfect room for you.

Thanks again for the great feedback,

Milford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

I had a business trip to Alexandria and did not know where to stay. I am a loyal Kimpton customer so I searched for the closest Kimpton to where my meeting was being held. Lo and behold, right there on King Street was the Lorien. What a wonderful place! The courtyard leading up to the hotel is just perfect to sit and relax. I found the staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome and comfortable and the room is always impeccable! When I stay at a Kimpton hotel, I always feel like I'm coming home, and the Lorien did just that!
Perfect, perfect, perfect!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Chezkm
Dear Chezkm,

Thank you for being a loyal Kimpton guest! I’m thrilled to hear that the Lorien Hotel & Spa was able to live up to the high level of service Kimpton Hotels & Restaurant is known for. We are looking forward to welcome you back home to your new home away from home in Old Town Alexandria.

Yours,

Davidsonville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

My wife and I just finished a two day stay here this morning. Our future daughter in law (via her mother) had made arrangements for her bridal shower at the Lorien Sunday midday. We came in late Saturday (the hotel was sold out) and found a bride having pictures taken and a kind of pre-wedding cocktail hour before the reception being held elsewhere. Later that evening, there was a Bar Mitzvah, with DJ, dancing , etc.
Come Sunday morning all was in order for the 11am the bridal shower and the space was ready for the guests. The shower was over a little after 3pm and by 5:30 it was set up for the next activity, a wedding reception with a small band that started in a patio (which our room looked over and associated indoor spaces ) and then moved inside.
Once again this morning, all signs of yesterday activities were gone and the conference rooms (where the Bar Mitzvah, then wedding reception) were now ready for a business breakfast meeting.
With this much activity, as well as the evening wine receptions and restaurant guests, one would think that there would be corners where trash, etc. might be missed but I did not see anything like that.
The Lorien is not a large convention style hotel, where there is always another room if something falls through. It was busy, but never felt rushed and all the staff demonstrate a great ethic of service to their guests.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hello GrandOldTurkey,

Let me start with complimenting your TripAdvisor user name, I love it!
I also like to thank you for choosing us for your recent visit and for your awesome review. I’m glad that you truly enjoyed your experience with us and that you felt that our team was attentive throughout your visit. I hope that this was the start of a long and happy friendship between you and your new friends at the Lorien Hotel & Spa.

See you soon,

Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

At the last minute we decided to spend the weekend in DC. The Lorien was the perfect place for our visit. We were able to get to Mt Vernon easily by car, then into DC by Metro and we even had time to wander Old Town Alexandria. The room was very clean and quiet and half of what it would have cost to stay in DC. We also tried out Brabo - which had food as good as Restaurant Eve and no pretense! I would go back to Lorien for both the room and the food - something I can't say very often.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Hello Peter A,

I’m thrilled that you enjoyed both our hotel and our great restaurant Brabo, which is truly not your “normal” hotel restaurant, during you recent weekend getaway. We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Thank you for staying and dining with us.