“Excellent service, positive stay”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My experience at the Lorien was what I've come to expect from Kimpton: a lovely hotel with excellent service. I had issues with my rental car when I arrived at the hotel, and I can't say enough about how helpful the valet and front desk staff were. They discovered the issue in the first place, offered to receive the alternate rental car if I couldn't be there to do so, provided advice that helped as I communicated with the company, and just generally made a difficult situation much more pleasant. The property itself is nice, clean, and very close to the King Street Metro Station. I stayed at the Lorien while doing business in D.C. and had no issues relying on public transit to get to/from the hotel and any meetings or events that I had. It's also within walking distance to the majority of Old Town Alexandria. The only slight issue that I had was one that other reviewers have mentioned - seemingly thin walls. On one evening, I could hear the TV on in the room next door, despite the fact that they clearly didn't have it turned up and weren't being excessively loud. However, this was a minor issue in a largely positive stay, and I'd definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Hello LaurenandRyan,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your loyalty to Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants. I’m glad that our team was able to assist you in making the challenges with your rental car a little bit less stressful. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us and I’m looking forward to welcome you back soon. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly so I can assist you in picking a particular quite room for your next stay

Reviewed 17 May 2014

If your looking for Johnny on the spot valet, you aren't going to get it and I found the valets either clueless of arrogant... The lobby is always out of coffee in the morning and the front desk clerk is of little help... The ice makers are either on the 3rd or 5 th floors and the one on the third floor was out of order... Nice restaurant. Comfortable beds. Poor lighting in the bathroom... The hotel is good but I think their sister hotel the monoco is better

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Ditjr,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry that your recent experience did not meet the high standards we are known for. I like to ensure you that the shortcomings you experienced are not the norm and I will address your important feedback with my team. I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back one day to showcases the high level of service and the excellent product we are known for. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly at: tobias.arff@lorienhotelandspa.com if there is anything I can assist you with in the future.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Loved the relaxed feel of this place, cool grey-blue and white colors with grey marble. The staff could not be more helpful and the courtyard was an excellent place to have a glass of wine and meet people. Luxurious towels, bed linens and robes were a great touch. Absolutely loved the hotel's restaurant Brabo....excellently prepared seasonal food with an attentive staff.

Room Tip: Wouldn't get a connecting room as sound comes through.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah G
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Hello Sarah G,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I’m thrilled that you had such a pleasant experience with us and I’m glad that you had the chance to sample our amazing food in our onside restaurant Brabo.
We are looking forward to welcome you back soon!

Yours,

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We recently stayed there for 2 nights. Our party included me, my wife, a 2 year old and 2 dogs. There was no extra charge for the pets which was awesome. The room was spacious and had a modern/upscale feel. The bathroom was large and clean. Valet parking is available but I felt that there was plenty of street parking as well and no meter to feed overnight. Highly recommend the place, especially for those with dog(s).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank derkman
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Hello derkman,

I like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing the Lorien Hotel & Spa for your recent stay in the beautiful Old Town Alexandria. I’m glad that you and your family enjoyed your experience with us. Please come back to see us again soon!

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Just make your reservation. This hotel has it all. Location is right on King Street just a short walk to restaurants, shopping and the Metro. Beautiful courtyard to have a glass of wine, or just relax. The rooms are bright, and spotless clean! The customer service of the staff is excellent. Even though it is pet friendly, if you do not have a pet, or have any allergies there is a pet free floor for you. The Tasting Room Restaurant is so very good for breakfast, lunch and/or a light dinner. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Alexandria.

Stayed: April 2014

Dear nataliemae,

I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your recent experience with us and I like to thank you for staying with us. It is awesome to hear that you had such a great time when in our Tasting Room. We just finished a renovation to this already beautiful space and I hope that you will have the opportunity to return to check it out soon.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Kimpton Hotels (the parent company of the Lorien) has a very pet-friendly policy (no fees/charges regardless of the type of pet or how many stay with you at their hotels). This is why I chose the Lorien when I needed to remove my 4 cats from my house for the weekend when I was having an open house for the sale of my house. This was 3 years ago. They reception I and my cats received from the valet to reception to manager to housekeeping was fantastic! They were extremely helpful. Then a few months later when I sold my house and had a week before moving cross country, I again stayed at the Lorien. Everyone remembered me and my cats. Reservations were very accommodating to allow for government CONUS relocation rates (which is much lower than the normal TDY rate). Because of the low rate I was unable to get a full suite which I had previously. However, upon seeing the room, I realized it was too small for a week's stay with 4 cats and litterboxes! Management was able to move me (and helped physically) to a suite which I was willing to pay the difference out of my own pocket. Upon checkout, I discovered that they did NOT charge me the difference! They charged the government rate. I was so grateful. Also, the first time I stayed here, they had not had any guests w/cats. The pet bowls they supplied were meant for dogs and I joked with the manager and reception that my tiny runt of a cat almost drown in the water bowl. The second time I arrived, the general manager had gone out and bought small bowls specifically for my cats! (BTW, 3 years later, I was told they still use those bowls!). Also, one of my cats vomited on the carpet in my hotel room. Kimpton Hotels use only non-toxic cleaning products. I called housekeeping to ask them to deliver some cleaning supplies for me to clean the carpet. The housekeeper would not let me clean the mess and did it herself; I felt so bad, but she wouldn't budge in letting me do it myself. Move forward to present time - I had business back in DC this past April. Instead of staying in DC, I chose to stay at my all-time favorite hotel - the Lorien. Though it seemed as though all the staff had changed (from valet to reception to general manager), the service was still as exceptional as ever! I arrived at 6 am and there happened to be one room available so they let me in; this was not the room I had a reservation for; it was a double room that connected to another room. That night when I went to sleep at 2:30 am, I could hear my neighbor snoring! (He was extremely loud; I don't blame the walls or the hotel.) I contacted the front desk and they moved me immediately and again physically assisted! The best of their service is that in all of these circumstances I've detailed, not once did they make me feel as if I was an inconvenience or a pain in their behinds! Everyone very friendly and professional. Another reason I love Kimpton Hotels is that they are very environmentally conscience including their restaurants. Reception called several restaurants to inquire if their seafood was Canadian or if they were supporters of the ban against the Canadian seal hunt (a huge cause of mine and the Humane Society of the US). They were also very interested in hearing about this cause. This is just one small example of their willingness and eagerness to provide customer service above and beyond the norm. BTW, the rooms are great as well. The Lorien is my favorite hotel anywhere! Whenever possible, I will be staying here. Plus it's location is in a wonderful area of Old Town Alexandria and an easy 2 block walk to the Metro.

Room Tip: Reserve a king size bed so that you don't have a connecting room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Hello blcats,

Thank you for your great feedback and for your loyalty. It is great to hear that the Lorien Hotel & Spa is not only your favorite hotel anywhere but that you also appreciate the good causes we at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants support.
We are looking forward to take very good care of all of you upon your return.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

The Lorien Hotel is a beautiful and clean property with a professional staff in a wonderful location. Free happy hour 5:00 - 6:00 p.m. and morning coffee and tea are wonderful touches. I wouldn’t hesitate to return.

One small suggestion to management is that walls of our room were bare and in need artwork. There is too much powder blue for my taste.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Chezkm,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. I’m glad that you enjoyed our location, our professional staff and your overall stay with us. I appreciate the suggestion of additional artwork in your guestroom. The Lorien Hotel & Spa has been designed by the award winning Designer Vicente Wolf who is known for his contemporary design and he took a minimalistic approach in the design of our guestrooms.
All of our guest rooms are slightly different and some feature more artwork than others. I hope to welcome you back in the future so we can find the perfect room for you.

Thanks again for the great feedback,