“Best in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia!”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia!”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Wanting to spend a weekend close to DC we chose to go to Old Town Alexandria. As a 40 year resident of Northern Virginia this was a wonderful surprise. I would describe this a a boutique hotel but prices were more reasonable. The staff was amazingly delightful, everyone! It is very contemporary with rooms beautifully designed and location near the Metro stop and close to walking or taking the free Trolley to the waterfront and the water taxi to National Harbor. Wine hour is included. A lovely outdoor patio makes it a great place to enjoy that wine. Hybrid cars get a discount valet parking and there are discounts including AAA free parking.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travel_Hints
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Hello Travel_Hints,

It is great to hear that you had such a pleasant experience with us. It means a lot to us to receive positive feedback especially when it comes from a road worrier like you. Please let me know if there is anything I can assist you with in the future.

Thanks,

Tobias

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed here for a wedding and everything was beautiful! Customer service was always willing to go the extra mile, and the city itself is beautiful. Downside was it's a bit pricy for a young couple, but it was overall one of the better hotels I have personally ever stayed in.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Anali K,

I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and I like to thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers on Trip Advisor.
We are looking forward to welcome you back.

Randolph, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel was one block away from the metro. I would have to say if you want to visit Washington, D.C., but not be in the middle of tourist central this is an amazing choice. I like smaller more personal hotels and to be on the Main Street in old town was an added bonus. The free trolley is great for dinner time there are a ton of options. The room itself had high ceilings and a great size bathroom. There was a refrigerator which is always important to me.The beds where very comfortable and the area is quiet. At least in April it was. There is valet at 30 dollars a night and there is a dunkin donuts a few steps from the hotel which is great when heading into Washington for the day. My family and I would definitely go back!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank shari C
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Hello shari C,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to write this review!
I’m thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your say with us and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

The Lorien is conviently located
two blocks from the Metro and only minutes away from National Airport. The hotel and staff provide a understated luxury which blends comfort and style. My two night stay was most pleasant, calm only
minutes away from the excitement of DC.

• Stayed May 2014
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Yurtmama,

It is great to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location, our luxury product and our friendly staff. Thank you for saying with us and thank you for this kind review.
We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Respectfully,

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My experience at the Lorien was what I've come to expect from Kimpton: a lovely hotel with excellent service. I had issues with my rental car when I arrived at the hotel, and I can't say enough about how helpful the valet and front desk staff were. They discovered the issue in the first place, offered to receive the alternate rental car if I couldn't be there to do so, provided advice that helped as I communicated with the company, and just generally made a difficult situation much more pleasant. The property itself is nice, clean, and very close to the King Street Metro Station. I stayed at the Lorien while doing business in D.C. and had no issues relying on public transit to get to/from the hotel and any meetings or events that I had. It's also within walking distance to the majority of Old Town Alexandria. The only slight issue that I had was one that other reviewers have mentioned - seemingly thin walls. On one evening, I could hear the TV on in the room next door, despite the fact that they clearly didn't have it turned up and weren't being excessively loud. However, this was a minor issue in a largely positive stay, and I'd definitely return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Hello LaurenandRyan,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your loyalty to Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants. I’m glad that our team was able to assist you in making the challenges with your rental car a little bit less stressful. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us and I’m looking forward to welcome you back soon. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly so I can assist you in picking a particular quite room for your next stay

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 17 May 2014

If your looking for Johnny on the spot valet, you aren't going to get it and I found the valets either clueless of arrogant... The lobby is always out of coffee in the morning and the front desk clerk is of little help... The ice makers are either on the 3rd or 5 th floors and the one on the third floor was out of order... Nice restaurant. Comfortable beds. Poor lighting in the bathroom... The hotel is good but I think their sister hotel the monoco is better

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Ditjr,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry that your recent experience did not meet the high standards we are known for. I like to ensure you that the shortcomings you experienced are not the norm and I will address your important feedback with my team. I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back one day to showcases the high level of service and the excellent product we are known for. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly at: tobias.arff@lorienhotelandspa.com if there is anything I can assist you with in the future.

Respectfully,

Asheville, North Carolina USA
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Loved the relaxed feel of this place, cool grey-blue and white colors with grey marble. The staff could not be more helpful and the courtyard was an excellent place to have a glass of wine and meet people. Luxurious towels, bed linens and robes were a great touch. Absolutely loved the hotel's restaurant Brabo....excellently prepared seasonal food with an attentive staff.

Room Tip: Wouldn't get a connecting room as sound comes through.