“Not up to Kimpton Standards and totally not memorable”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Not up to Kimpton Standards and totally not memorable”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I'm a big fan of the Kimpton chain. I have stayed at many locations and have never been disappointed. I can honestly say that there was nothing memorable about this location. The rooms were just okay at best, a bit of the small side and certainly nothing special about them. On the weekend we stayed there, we had multiple issues you would never expect at a Kimpton property. The hotel did not have any bar soaps, the ice machine on our floor was out of order, on Sunday morning they were running out of hot water. How are these things even possible at a hotel like this.

The only positives was that after we pointed out these shortcomings, they did offer to adjust the cost of our stay, which was nice but I would not return to this location.

If we go back to Alexandria, next time we will try the Monaco.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel L
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Hello Daniel L,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your feedback. I’m very sorry that your recent experience with us did not meet the high standards we are known for.
When it pours it rains and this particular weekend unfortunately was full of unexpected surprises and I sincerely apologies for the inconvenience our shortcomings caused you.
A pump of one of our hot water boilers suddenly stopped working and it took us several hours to replace this part to get the hot water back up and running. Our vendor who provides us with our bath products unfortunately had the soap on back order and we experienced a delay in the delivery. To round it up one of our ice machines stopped working.
The good news is that all of the above issues have been resolved with the exception of the ice machine and we expect this to be fixed today or tomorrow.
The bad news is that this really does not change the fact that we let you down. Please contact me at tobias.arff@lorienhotelandspa.com so I can personally follow up with you.

Respectfully,
Tobias

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Lorien for four days in connection with work in Alexandria. It is in my opinion just another average hotel. The room was ok, lobby ok, staff ok. Valet parking is a plus. Location is a plus. King Street is where you will find a lot of ok restaurants. I have nothing to complain about. On the other hand I can not find anything extraordinary to mention either. Will I come back? Probably not.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hello Runar P,

Thank you for staying with us. I have to admit that I’m a little disappointed that your stay with us was just ok. We usually do a consistent job in delivering a good amount of wow factor to our guest’s experiences.
I hope you will give us another try so we can make your stay extra special.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The Lorien has a great location on King Street in Alexandria. It's just a short walk to the hotel from the Metro and there are a lot of restaurants and shopping all along King Street. The hotel was very clean and had modern décor inside. The front desk staff was exceptionally helpful and took the time to tell us all about local attractions, good restaurants and provided us with directions. We arrived at the hotel very early and the staff was able to get us into a room well before the normal check in time. The only negatives that I have to contribute about the Lorien are the frosted glass sliding door on the bathroom and the water pressure of the shower. We didn't feel that the frosted glass doors provided enough privacy in the bathroom and this aspect would make me think twice before staying here again when traveling with friends. Also, I like the idea of the hotel being environmentally friendly, however, the water pressure in the shower was ridiculously low! I had to rinse the shampoo out of my hair under the tub faucet because the amount of water coming out of the showerhead wasn't sufficient enough to get the soap out of my hair. With that said, please keep in mind that the overall positives of this hotel and its staff do outweigh the two negatives mentioned above.

Green Features: As I already stated in my review above, I like that the hotel is environmentally friendly, however, the water pressure in the shower was ridiculously low.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Hello MuffyD,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your overall experience with us and it is great to hear that you enjoyed our great location and that our team was exceptionally friendly.
We are proud to be an environmentally friendly hotel. I like to ensure you that the low water pressure you experienced was an isolated incident and it has nothing to do with the eco friendly standards we have in place.I hope to welcome you back soon for another great stay with more than sufficient water pressure.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

This is the second Kimpton Hotel we've stayed in. Very clean and friendly staff. Located 16 blocks from National Harbor. The boardwalk is alive in the evening with musicians. Walking distance from eateries, shopping and more. We will try Hotel Monaco next time located in the same street.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Naitsabes1
Dear Naitsabes1,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for continuing to be loyal to Kimpton Hotels & Restaurant. I’m glad that you enjoyed our friendly staff and our central location. Please come back to see us again soon!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Wanting to spend a weekend close to DC we chose to go to Old Town Alexandria. As a 40 year resident of Northern Virginia this was a wonderful surprise. I would describe this a a boutique hotel but prices were more reasonable. The staff was amazingly delightful, everyone! It is very contemporary with rooms beautifully designed and location near the Metro stop and close to walking or taking the free Trolley to the waterfront and the water taxi to National Harbor. Wine hour is included. A lovely outdoor patio makes it a great place to enjoy that wine. Hybrid cars get a discount valet parking and there are discounts including AAA free parking.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travel_Hints
Hello Travel_Hints,

It is great to hear that you had such a pleasant experience with us. It means a lot to us to receive positive feedback especially when it comes from a road worrier like you. Please let me know if there is anything I can assist you with in the future.

Thanks,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed here for a wedding and everything was beautiful! Customer service was always willing to go the extra mile, and the city itself is beautiful. Downside was it's a bit pricy for a young couple, but it was overall one of the better hotels I have personally ever stayed in.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Anali K,

I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and I like to thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers on Trip Advisor.
We are looking forward to welcome you back.

Randolph, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel was one block away from the metro. I would have to say if you want to visit Washington, D.C., but not be in the middle of tourist central this is an amazing choice. I like smaller more personal hotels and to be on the Main Street in old town was an added bonus. The free trolley is great for dinner time there are a ton of options. The room itself had high ceilings and a great size bathroom. There was a refrigerator which is always important to me.The beds where very comfortable and the area is quiet. At least in April it was. There is valet at 30 dollars a night and there is a dunkin donuts a few steps from the hotel which is great when heading into Washington for the day. My family and I would definitely go back!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank shari C
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Hello shari C,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to write this review!
I’m thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your say with us and we hope to welcome you back soon.