“Wonderful stay on King Street”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I booked this hotel for a 4 night stay based on reviews here, and was very pleased with the choice. The location is excellent, close to the Metro, but still close enough to all that King Street has to offer. I was very impressed with the staff, everyone was very friendly and accommodating. I loved the little courtyard entrance, gave it a homey feel, and the 5-6pm wine and appetizer hour was a welcome end to a busy work day and a chance to chat with other hotel guests. The fitness room is better than most hotel workout rooms. We got an upgrade to a suite, which was spacious, although the carpet was a little stained, I'm guessing from a prior pet guest? The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept it. A deep, sound sleep every night, although we overlooked the garbage dumpsters which got noisy a couple of mornings. But overall, an excellent hotel I would select again without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear racerxgrl,

Thank you for choosing us for your extended stay and thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers. I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. I’m surprised that you did not have a separate recycling bin in your room as all of our rooms should have one. Please rest ensured that I will address this immediately to ensure we are in compliance with the high eco standards we are known for.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Really nicely decorated hotel. Much smaller scale than the surrounding "big chain" hotels. Easy walking distance from downtown and convention centers. Bar is pricy, but worth the money, since very friendly staff and great service. Every day free wine happy hour. Certainly by far the best option for Alexandria activities.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Hello Soepkip,

It is awesome to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the true boutique feel of the Lorien Hotel & Spa. It means a lot to us that you picked us and that you consider us the best option in Alexandria.

Thank you for your feedback and please come back to see us again soon,

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This has been my least appealing stay at a Kimpton, and if this were my only Kimpton experience I would not be as big a fan as I am.

It's not that there's anything wrong with the Lorien, it's just that there's not a lot that's right.

In terms of atmosphere and hospitality, the Lorien is missing the quirky charm I've experienced at so many Kimpton hotels. Perhaps because there is a spa it is intended to feel more tranquil, but instead it comes off feeling a little stiff and the staff are polite but aloof.

The location is good, convenient to many restaurants and shops in the area, though a little less convenient than the Hotel Monaco at the other end of King Street. It's near transit, and only about a 12 minute cab drive from Reagan National.

I upgraded to a suite, which is also not quite as *right* as I expected. There is no dresser of any sort, so we needed the desk drawers for socks, t-shirts etc. The bedroom and living room areas have separate climates, with the air conditioning generating only in the living room area. To keep the bedroom at all cool we need to keep the living room frigid.

The bathroom in the suite I rented is large and beautiful, with an open shower and claw foot tub. Five stars for the bathroom.

The rooms in the suite are well sized. The bed and other furniture are very comfortable but show a little wear and tear.

There are two dining options that are part of the hotel - Brabo, and Brabo Tasting Room. Both are good, and the Tasting Room is the more cost-conscious option has a lot of great choices. There are really good restaurants nearby including Vermillion and The Majestic.

Apparently there is room service through Brabo, but I never found any sort of information about it in the room. There is coffee in the morning in the reception area, which is very nice.

There is a nice enough gym in the hotel, and a spa which I did not use.

As usual there is excellent free wifi (for Kimpton In Touch members), and a hosted happy hour with a selection of wines and tasty treats from Brabo Tasting Room. But again, even this felt a little more stiff and formal than I am used to from a Kimpton.

In many Kimptons I've found treats in the reception area - hot chocolate in the winter time, for example. At the Lorien there was only chilled water, and it was not even there at all times. I know this is a very small thing, but it's the little touches that have always made the Kimptons feel special.

I chose the Lorien because I am attending a conference nearby, and the Lorien was the closest Kimpton. I'm left satisfied, but longing for the nearby Monaco.

1  Thank JosephSparacio

Dear Mr. JosephSparacio,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your important feedback.
I’m disappointed that your experience did not meet the high standards we are known for. Please contact me directly at: tobias.arff@lorienhotelandspa.com if you are planning to return to our area. I would love to get the opportunity to exceed your expectations upon your return.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed for only one night on a girls getaway trip, but would definitely return for a longer stay.
The hotel has great public areas; the first thing you notice is the nice scent in the lobby. The rooms are spacious, have very comfortable beds, and a great modern bathroom with all the nice touches (including a great face mirror)
Service was excellent throughout, from reception to the bar.
Convenient to the main restaurants and the train station, but yet quiet.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Ilbucofan,

Thank you for choosing the Lorien Hotel & Spa for your girls getaway trip.
I appreciate the nice feedback and we are looking forward to welcome you and your friends back soon.

Thanks

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I love Kimpton hotels, but this is my favorite of all I have stayed at. The hotel itself is in an excellent location - near Metro and not a long taxi ride from the airport. The facility is beautiful and the rooms are very accommodating, comfortable bed, and housekeeping staff does an excellent job. I was here for a meeting and catering did an excellent job for our cocktail hours, meals and snacks. I have to say that the food was delicious. Of our group of about 20 people, we all felt this was the best Kimpton we've had a meeting in! The staff were extremely friendly and went out of their way to ensure that we all had a good experience there. I should even note that the catering manager, Dionte, ensured I had a ride to a restaurant 8 blocks from the hotel (I have limited mobility and could not have walked the distance). I have to say I do not understand the other reviews that talk about this hotel being 'just OK'. It was terrific in every way. Any opportunity that I have to be back in Alexandria, I will definitely choose the Lorien!

Hello Ann S,

I’m thrilled to read that you and your group had such a fantastic experience with us.
It was my pleasure to share your praise with the entire team and in particular with Dionte who literally went the extra mile for you.
We hope to welcome all of you back soon,

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The Lorien was a top-notch hotel and only about 3 blocks from the King Street metro, which was a huge bonus since if I had decided to rent a car, I would have had to pay $30 a night to park! Ouch! However, I could also hear the Amtrak train every once in awhile from my room. The room was clean and comfortable and the bathroom was also very clean - however, if you're sharing a room, be mindful that the door slides open and shut and therefore not as much privacy as a regular door would provide - but, it all goes with the decor! All in all, I'd probably stay here again just because it's so clean.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear mnpremo,

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We usually don’t hear about noise in our guestrooms and I’m sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused you. Please let me know if you are planning to return so I can pick a super quite room for you.

Thanks for staying with us and thanks for the feedback,

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I'm a big fan of the Kimpton chain. I have stayed at many locations and have never been disappointed. I can honestly say that there was nothing memorable about this location. The rooms were just okay at best, a bit of the small side and certainly nothing special about them. On the weekend we stayed there, we had multiple issues you would never expect at a Kimpton property. The hotel did not have any bar soaps, the ice machine on our floor was out of order, on Sunday morning they were running out of hot water. How are these things even possible at a hotel like this.

The only positives was that after we pointed out these shortcomings, they did offer to adjust the cost of our stay, which was nice but I would not return to this location.

If we go back to Alexandria, next time we will try the Monaco.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel L
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Hello Daniel L,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your feedback. I’m very sorry that your recent experience with us did not meet the high standards we are known for.
When it pours it rains and this particular weekend unfortunately was full of unexpected surprises and I sincerely apologies for the inconvenience our shortcomings caused you.
A pump of one of our hot water boilers suddenly stopped working and it took us several hours to replace this part to get the hot water back up and running. Our vendor who provides us with our bath products unfortunately had the soap on back order and we experienced a delay in the delivery. To round it up one of our ice machines stopped working.
The good news is that all of the above issues have been resolved with the exception of the ice machine and we expect this to be fixed today or tomorrow.
The bad news is that this really does not change the fact that we let you down. Please contact me at tobias.arff@lorienhotelandspa.com so I can personally follow up with you.