“A very nice stay”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Al Muharraq, Bahrain
“A very nice stay”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I was only staying the one night and the hotel did the job, being perfectly located for an evening stroll to find dinner. The room was spacious, very clean. One thing I would have appreciated was that I had arrived after 18 hours travel only to find some leaking toiletries in my case. Unfortunately the staff were not too helpful in trying to find a solution to have these clothes cleaned ahead of my departure the next day as I had just missed laundry pick up. Going this extra mile to help are what make the best hotels for me and in this instance they fell just short. I should add that the breakfast was fantastic.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Hello David W,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your important feedback. I’m glad that you were overall satisfied with your stay. I’m however disappointed that we did not do what we are known for best, going out of our way to find a creative solution to a problem. I will share your experience with our team and use it as a learning tool.
Please feel free to reach out to me directly if there is anything I can assist you with in the future.

Tobias

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Schertz, Texas, United States
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed at the Lorien two separate times on our last visit to Alexandria, each time the rooms were clean and spacious and the staff went above and beyond to make our stay special. We ate at the Brabo tasting room twice (off to the left in the courtyard) and found it reasonably priced and delicious. They also have a wonderful variety of specialty beers. There is even a great butcher/cheese/wine shop on the property that we purchased some wonderful items from as well! The location is perfect, just two blocks from the metro. We found traversing the sites in both DC and VA to be easy and seamless. Our last night there was my birthday and when we returned from dinner we found champagne and chocolate covered strawberries in the room...an awesome treat for sure!!! We would definitely stay here again! (We did have erroneous minibar charges both stays, one I found on the credit card after we returned home. But management removed them both times (without delay). Not sure what the issue was, but it wouldn't stop me from returning to the Lorien.

Room Tip: The terrace suite is definitely worth the money for the terrific ambiance of the neighborhood!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Donna W,

Happy belated Birthday! It is great to hear that our team made your trip special and that we send a little birthday surprise to your room. I’m sorry for the incorrect honor bar charges on your account. I’m glad that we removed them quickly but I like to ensure you that I will look in o the cause of this error to avoid something like that to happen again. I appreciate your loyalty and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I do like a Kimpton hotel, but I'd put the Lorien above many of their other properties that I like. Service was outstanding the entire time, from the valets out front to the desk staff.

The room was something of a sanctuary. Very quiet, lots of space, calming colors. Usually, hotels for me are for sleeping, but this is an easy room to just relax and spend time in if you need.

The gym was also pretty good, though a couple treadmills were on the fritz. I have to imagine, given the quality of everything else, that will be remedied soon.

The Metro is within sight of the hotel. A quick walk.

Brabo is a great dinner spot. Across the street from the hotel, there is a little coffee shop that has good morning pastries and the like.

Would highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hello JayW913,

I’m thrilled to hear that you had a great experience with us and I appreciate your loyalty to Kimpton Hotels. We are waiting on a part to repair the treadmill that is currently not working. We have rented one in the meantime to minimize the inconveniences to our guests while we are waiting for the part.
Thank you for the awesome feedback and please come back to see us again soon.

Morrisville PA
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I took my wife here when she was about 2 months pregnant for a baby moon. They have a great spa that does prenatal massage etc. She enjoyed the spa and we both enjoyed the room very much. The service was great and they have nice free wine tasting and snack at 5pm. You can go sit in the court yard and mingle with other guest while having some great wines and small apps. The Brabo restaurants are a must go to. The tasting room is amazing with craft beers and sandwiches and the restaurant was one the best I ever ate at. Amazing service and the food (even breakfast) was great. Have to try the hash here.. WOW..IF I had one small issue its the bathroom door. They have beautiful barn style glass door for the bathroom. Problem is when you close it there is small gap between the door and wall. You can actually see into the rest room. Not so fun...This is also a great location to visit DC. The train station is a stones throw from the hotel and you can be in DC in matter of minutes.

Room Tip: Look for room that overlooks the courtyard. Our room overlooked that and the street. Very nice.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Michael S,

Thank you for staying with us. We truly appreciate your awesome feedback!
Also, congratulations on your pregnancy. We hope to get the opportunity to meet the newest member of your family soon.
Please let me know if there is anything I can assist you with in the future.

State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I booked this hotel for a weekend getaway with my spouse. It is clean, no frills, bordering on austere. I did not find the entry way check in area welcoming, but it is simply the design of the facility. Our room was on the smallish size but very clean. We were on the sixth floor but there wasn't a view. I really enjoyed that the hotel offers guests coffee and tea early in the a.m., water throughout the day, and a wine tasting at 4 p.m. These were very nice touches. The staff was nice, in particular the valets were outstanding. With that said, parking is expensive, and there really are no options other than on site parking that we could easily find.

The hotel is located on King Street very near a metro, and the free King Street trolley is a nice perk. However, if we return we will definitely consider the Hotel Monaco for the location, as it is right in the heart of King Street activity, whereas Hotel Lorien felt slightly removed - but accessible.

Breakfast in Alexandria is a real challenge if you are an early riser! We had no outstanding breakfast experiences. We did not go to the Brabo Tasting Room for breakfast, as we had just a HORRIBLE lunch experience there. Very disappointed after all the hype. We found the restaurant climate way too cool for comfort, the food (it could have been our meal choice) was absolutely below par - far below, they did not seem to have a good understanding of gluten allergy and were unwilling to make any reasonable adjustments to accommodate. When we complained about our meal stating frankly that is was terrible, the waiter looked like a deer in the headlights if I may, and made no effort to offer alternatives. If you want an outstanding dining experience, Vaso's Mediterranean Bistro is just a few blocks away and truly a wonderful restaurant with fabulous (our meals were outstanding) food, and the staff went above and beyond - I highly recommend.

All in all it is a nice place to stay, depending on what you are looking for.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Hello Diane B,

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I like to thank you for sharing your important feedback. Many travelers prefer our upper King Street location as we are in short walking distance from the Metro that gives you easy access to the airport and to Washington DC. The free trolley is a great way to get down to the waterfront if you don’t feel like walking.
It is concerning to me that you did not enjoy your lunch and I would appreciate if you could email me any additional feedback that I can share with my restaurant team. You can reach me at: tobias.arff@lorienhotelandspa.com.

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Lorien Hotel in Alexandria for one night in late May. On a previous visit, we had stayed at the Morrison House which we enjoyed and this time, we wanted to try the Lorien, another Kimpton property. The hotel is well located right on King Street in the heart of old Alexandria, an easy walk to the restaurants and shops there. The hotel itself is very nice, decorated in white and soft pastels which makes the guest rooms and public spaces bright and airy. We were happy with our room, which was spacious and had a great street view. Staff was friendly and helpful. I can’t say a bad thing about this hotel – our experience was completely satisfying and we will definitely stay there again. The restaurant attached to the hotel is another matter. Our server was wonderful; everything else was pretty much below par. In a city where you have so many good dining choices, I suggest you go elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Trina J,

Thank you for choosing the Lorien Hotel & Spa. I’m glad that your stay went well and that you truly enjoyed our hotel. I’m however disappointed that you were not fully satisfied with your experience at our restaurant. I’m very proud of the food and service at our outlets and I like to ensure you that this must have been a one-off experience. Please let me know if you are back in town as I like to get the opportunity to have you experience our exceptional restaurant one more time. I promise that you will not be disappointed!

Titusville, Florida
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My wife and two boys and I decided to stay at the Lorien Hotel and Spa based on the reviews we had read and we were not disappointed in the least. The hotel was even better than the reviews could have suggested. Everything from the room itself to the attentive and knowledgeable staff to the location close to the Metro and Trolley Stops, the Lorien was an ideal place to stay whether as a couple or as a family.

Why fight DC traffic when you can stay at the beautiful Alexandria, VA Lorien Hotel and Spa and be just about anywhere you want to be in a short amount of time using the Metro. My family and I will be visiting the DC area again, and will without a doubt, stay at the Lorien again.

Room Tip: If traveling with kids, the Suites are perfect. This master bedroom has a TV and fridge and the livi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BucsFan40_11
Wow! Thank you for your fantastic feedback. I’m thrilled that you and your family had such an awesome experience and we can’t wait to see you again soon.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly if there is anything I can assist you with in the future.